Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon | Page 30 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon

This has surely got to be a mental thing.

When we are 2nd favourites for the match we are able to muck in, concentrate, defend and work hard.
Games where we are expecting more, at home to Leeds and Saints we go to back to crap.

This has surely got to be a mental thing.

When we are 2nd favourites for the match we are able to muck in, concentrate, defend and work hard.
Games where we are expecting more, at home to Leeds and Saints we go to back to crap.

That because try, as they might the players, won't see Leeds and Southampton in the same light as they see Liverpool or Leicester. They might say they do but they don't just like we really don't either. Lets hope it's brought them down to earth especially Mings

That because try, as they might the players, won't see Leeds and Southampton in the same light as they see Liverpool or Leicester. They might say they do but they don't just like we really don't either. Lets hope it's brought them down to earth especially Mings
Didnt see the game so cant comment on how we played, but I think you have a valid point, and it is a problem not just this side has, but Villa sides for a while now that only seem to be able to get up for big games.

I think a few of the players seem to think that after a couple of good results and International call ups that suddenly they are top 6 material.
Relegation battle again I'm afraid and time will tell if there is any real improvement
(or maybe we'll be lucky again and a very low total points will fluke it)
Certainly looking over our shoulders to see what the bottom 4 are doing. Rather then watching the top 4 disappear over the hill. Any chance of stopping the season right now??

Its simple smith has just been out thought by better managers solution get a better manager.

I don't think many would have said that about Southampton manager after Their 0-9 game last season, there was no doubt Saints fans would have been saying what you are now

Soton definitely gave us a footballing lesson for the first hour or so today.
The only really good thing to take from the game was that the team kept going until final whistle.
Someone needs to have a word with Jack, just to remind him that it is a team game and that in this division, speed of pass normally leads to success and that having the ability to beat two or three opponents doesn't mean you have to every time.

I dont mind managers making mistakes as long as they learn from them he just seems to be making the same mistakes.

4-2 at the moment in his favour same team every week, just a week ago people were saying stick with the same team and everyone was ok with everything.

I said after the Fulham game our 2 CBs spent the entire game heading balls out of our own 6-yard box but everyone ignored that and said what an easy win it was etc.. It's not going to happen every week just as scoring 7 isn't but he has to learn to stop goals first and foremost

Cone on mate. I'm all for taking them down for the first half performance, but you can't say there wasn't a response. We scored three and could have had a couple more.
Response at 0-4 though.
Not bothered about top 6. More concerned about the bottom 6 based on the last two defensive displays.

Not even Ward Prowses second, a mirror of the first that he didn't even attempt to read or dive for?
Plenty to criticise and improve upon but I think criticism of Martinez is one of the more controversial critiques of the day mate....I really think any keeper in the world would have struggled to get anywhere near them. Fairer to blame Targett especially and Luiz and Cash who gave away free kicks in areas which were ideal for Ward Prowse to assist and smack in the top corner!