#COVID19 | Page 510 | Vital Football

#COVID19

People will kill themselves. Simple as that.

We cannot do that, not long term. And you know what? We won't do that either, because it is against our nature.

You cannot possibly believe that people will agree to living like we are now for a virus with a <1% death rate for their age group. Look at any pandemic in history; the Black Death, the Great Plague, even Spanish Flu- and people have not changed their behaviour to adapt to them, choosing instead the path of huge deaths

I don't want to live like this forever. You can tell Will doesn't.

If you could see the mental health fall out that I do with young people in a school (who are actually bearing up far better than they have any right to be) you would recognise that not only do they not want to live in this world, but they can't and won't. They don't want to "kill granny" either. But this is no life, even under tier 2. It's alright for me as a middle age married bloke; I don't have that many friends to go and see anyway. But it's the centre of their world.

And it isn't sustainable. Whenever the students see me, they look at me like I'm the Grim Reaper. When I walk into the common room with my clipboard, it goes silent because they know I'm about to read out names and those people are stuck in a house (which may not be a great environment at all for a handful) for 14 days. I have students who are a genuine suicide risk if they were sent home like that

People work hard, and they want to be social and have a pint at the weekend or the evening. It's not my thing, but that is what people need. You can't take that away long term. We can't shackle ourselves long term to this idea of masks: they are vile and restrictive, they genuinely put people off retail and long shopping trips and they are horrendous for people certain profiles of autism. I am not autistic in the strictest sense but I hate them to the core of my being and I have to wear one every day for work.

I don't know what the answer is CP. I don't want large numbers of people to die, but I genuinely don't believe a massive cultural change in human nature is going to be possible where it wasn't for much more deadly pandemics. We certainly cannot go back to the 2 metre distancing and queuing outside of shops as standard; the economy would never be worth anything again.

I also don't think it is going to be effective; we are already living under these restrictions and even like this, we have gone straight back to where we were in March. In march no one wore masks, the idea of hand sanitising was embryonic and everything was fully open and normal. So much has "moved forward" since then but we are still right back in the same ballpark. The only thing that has worked was a 4 month lockdown.

I would agree in principal with what you said about finding a balance, but I'm not sure a balance is there to he found without it coming roaring back. Balancing economy, mental health and deaths is not easy, and the virus wins that one; as soon as we were allowed some semblance of a normal life it was straight back again.

So even if we just did that on and off, it will still come back. First wave got about 10% of the population. Each wave will just raise that. That is why I say, based on the evidence I've seen, it is going to kill who it kills at some point. We are clearly getting better at stopping it doing that, but I'm not seeing any evidence that ANY model of control is going to stop this happening, nor be enforceable on a social species long term. That's why I'm not really advocating one.

I'm more posting out of despair more than anything

I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding my position. Most of that is just echoing what I've posted for weeks, the rest is your own personal psychology about masks which you've already demonstrated.

Nobody is talking about taking those things away for good, it's about making quick localised short term adjustments when a spike hits.

Right now for instance if we provided effective distanced learning and bubbles around campuses Students would have the freedom to live as they wish and we would be facing far less lockdowns.

It hasn't worked in Nottingham because of the above largely but it has worked where I live.

It won't kill who it will kill if we combine effective measures, and a vaccine. It will kill some but not all. Vulnerability isn't fixed either as you seem to believe it is. Each day thousands move into the vulnerable group.

There were 50,000 excess deaths, mainly from flu in the 2017/18 season including 9,200 deaths of under 65’s, more than from COVID.

What’s that? The NHS coped - drafted in students. We continued life as normal. No masks. No social distancing (although I like that), no twatting lockdowns and no new normal.

What are we doing???
So in that very exceptional year flu killed 50,000 with no lockdown?

Covid-19 has killed that many already with lockdown.

So in that very exceptional year flu killed 50,000 with no lockdown?

Covid-19 has killed that many already with lockdown.

Weirdly the biggest change in mortality rates had been in flu and pneumonia, which are far lower than the five-year average. Around 1,500 people would be usually expected to die of flu and pneumonia in September, but that has fallen to 1,132 – a drop of 27.7 per cent in mortality rates once taking into account population changes.

I think we’ll find in February/March next year the excess deaths will be within a normal distribution, at least it would have been if we didn’t lockdown healthcare and priorities a virus which is less deadly than the flu, leading to millions of missed appointments

I’m not Ben Bradley no fooks are given by me about the amount of abuse he receives.
I’m just point out that doing an Angela Reynor isn’t that productive.
I wasn't calling you. I was calling the Tory govt and their ideology. You're a voter that votes for them. That's your right. But equally you can change your vote at any point.

While all this is happening they're making money for their donors and friends. With very little evidence that they can fulfil the criteria. There's evidence that they've failed.

Ben Bradley got form. To his credit he's made the effort all weekend to explain on many different media platforms. Nobody challenged him regarding you can't spend food vouchers on drugs or anything else.

I wasn't calling you. I was calling the Tory govt and their ideology. You're a voter that votes for them. That's your right. But equally you can change your vote at any point.

While all this is happening they're making money for their donors and friends. With very little evidence that they can fulfil the criteria. There's evidence that they've failed.

Ben Bradley got form. To his credit he's made the effort all weekend to explain on many different media platforms. Nobody challenged him regarding you can't spend food vouchers on drugs or anything else.

The thing is I’ve met Ben a few times and he, compared to Alan Meale doing great for businesses in Mansfield. He just needs to learn when to STFU

What exactly is he doing for business in Mansfield?

Genuine question

Lobbying, as Amazon has taken all the power/4g in the town. Our company needs more power and we’re having to re-route at our own expense.
We also had Gavin Williamson come, when he was defence Secretary, to champion the area in Westminster.

Never saw Meale once.

I know this is all meaningless to many, but for the largest employer in Mansfield it’s a thing.

Lobbying, as Amazon has taken all the power/4g in the town. Our company needs more power and we’re having to re-route at our own expense.
We also had Gavin Williamson come, when he was defence Secretary, to champion the area in Westminster.

Never saw Meale once.

I know this is all meaningless to many, but for the largest employer in Mansfield it’s a thing.

*disclaimer. I’m not sure it’s Amazon and their powerful lawyers.

It’ll be many times that because of lockdown.
That's an entirely different discussion.

Making out that it's just like, or less dangerous than, flu is not at all helpful. It isn't. Taking that line does nothing except undermine your credibility for contribution to the more urgent discussion about whether lockdown are worse over all.
See also "lockdowns don't work".

Making out that it's just like, or less dangerous than, flu is not at all helpful. It isn't. Taking that line does nothing except undermine your credibility for contribution to the more urgent discussion about whether lockdown are worse over all.

It is less deadly than Flu.

To clarify, the infection mortality rate is higher for flu than Covid-19

Where in the world has a lockdown worked?
Look at Peru, one of the toughest, earliest lockdowns, worst death rate in the world.

This perceived wisdom is being shown up as being flawed and people now expect us to believe Neil, learn to code, Fergusson again!