Match thread - a bit of luck helps. | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match thread - a bit of luck helps.

Seems obvious, CF will never do the job, CH sees everything, or should, and McKenna is just the player to do it.

As an aslde and it's many years ago I used to play CH in the old 3 man halfback arrangement so I speak from experience. :yes:

I did the same from centre mid - then as I got older and slower from left back - unfortunately there was nowhere to go from there!

Last match was in Nottm Senior Cup final @ Eastwood Town early 1990's
I was captain & LB - we lost 3-0 and two young messershmitts took it in turns to rip me to pieces. It was time to finish

I think the positive thing to come out of last night is that we went behind, but still got something out of the game. We could/should have won it. Prior to Hughton’s arrival, going behind in a game felt like it was terminal for our chances of getting something. Obviously, there are still issues. Grabban isn’t scoring, and doesn’t look like scoring. Part of his problem is that he’s a very good footballer, with a great football brain, without being an especially talented finisher. If he was clinical in front of goal, he’d have carved out a career at the very top level.

Seems obvious, CF will never do the job, CH sees everything, or should, and McKenna is just the player to do it.

As an aslde and it's many years ago I used to play CH in the old 3 man halfback arrangement so I speak from experience. :yes:
The old 3 man half back arrangement, now you're talking ORF right half, centre half. & left half with proper full backs in defence & inside forwards, centre forward & proper wingers in attack. Brings tears of nostalgia to my eyes

Hughton was very smart with his team selection last night.

He picked the same side, which rewarded the players for getting a result on Saturday, knowing he would have to make changes for Friday nights game - three games in a week is far too much for some players.

Regardless of the quality, there was no lack of effort; some players sent out a clear message that they do not want to give up the shirt.

That puts a little bit more pressure on the players who come in; the standard has been set, now players have to maintain it.

And it is that determination and intensity which will drag us through this spell; it has been painful to watch but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Agree. He was very bold in that first game too. Wonderful sign to see a manager managing players not just picking a team.

I thought we started brightly and on another day been 2-0 up in 10 minutes. They came back into the game and being a biased fan, thought they looked to waste time to disrupt our rhythm. The remainder of the first half was not great with them having physical strikers. We stood upto the task well I thought.
Not sure about the penalty, but if you are unbalanced and try a tackle in the box they can be given.
After that it was better. We played with more tempo and looked to move the ball quickly, especially when Arter was introduced. We appeared to look a little more balanced when going back to a 4-4-2. It appeared to wake up Lolley, with Ameobi showing some lovely close control.
I feel we well deserved a goal and as CH has said, even a win.
I have some concern over Ioannou. He appears quick, tall and an athlete, but he really needs to work on his passing and crossing. The number of times he was in a good position and the delivery let him down was getting quite frustrating, especially in the second half. I suppose he is settling in, so he will take a little time to fully find his feet.
I have to say also, I was impressed with the CB's. Mckenna was covering well and Figs was always up for that physical challenge.
I'd like to see Colback and Arter starting in midfield, just simply as I dont feel currently that Yates has that range of passing or perhaps vision that Arter does. Colback is obviously getting more match fit after a long period injured. What you cannot argue with is Yates' desire or ability to challenge for the ball.
Freeman looked a little lost and frustrated last night. He could obviously see what was happening but just couldn't quite influence the game. Perhaps playing 4-4-2 with him as a winger might help?
Anyhow, we are looking better defensively and are starting to create chances which is encouraging.

Agree with most of that but not ioannou, we are playing in a different way to last season, no ribs or cash. He is there to defend rather than to provide width and he did that very well alongside big mac. Both christie and ioannou put in wayward crosses. Aside from christies slip and the penalty that never was, both had decent games imo.

Do agree that the formation change made the difference, thats why i wanted joe and ameobi switched cos it wasnt working. I think freeman is a smart player and we needed some creativity desperately but fair play CH, no doubt why i am not a football manager.

Artur is our best CM atm imo. Everyone looked better after the subs came on.

I did the same from centre mid - then as I got older and slower from left back - unfortunately there was nowhere to go from there!

I was captain & LB - we lost 3-0 and two young messershmitts took it in turns to rip me to pieces. It was time to finish
It's horrible when you realise the legs have finally gone.
Mind you a 5 year ban ended my playing days at 32 just as they were beginning to noticably slow me down so that kind of made my mind up for me.

Here's my 25 man squad, unfortunately, Darikwa and Dawson miss out.

This presumes Grosicki signs:

Samba
Smith
Diallo

Christie
Jenkinson
Worrall
Figuerido
McKenna
Mbe Soh
Ioannou
Blackett
Ribeiro

Colback
Bachirou
Arter
Sow
Yates
Cafu
Freeman
Knockart
Grosicki
Ameobi
Lolley
Mighten

Grabban
Taylor
Guerreo

Watching the highlights again, it does look as though Jones is tripped by the other Rotherham player with no contact from Christie, but without a slow motion replay the ref was always likely to give it.

Hard to believe we didn't win it after the last 30 minutes, but Grabban has to start scoring again soon - his late miss was unbelievable.

Still plenty of work to do on our finishing, but we're finishing games strongly.

Samba
Smith
Diallo

Christie
Jenkinson
Worrall
Figuerido
McKenna
Mbe Soh
Ioannou
Blackett
Ribeiro

Colback
Bachirou
Arter
Sow
Yates
Cafu
Freeman
Knockart
Grosicki
Ameobi
Lolley
Mighten

Grabban
Taylor
Guerreo
I'd leave Cafu or Figs out and include Dawson. Reason being that Figs will be off in Jan, and Cafu won't play a minute under CH

Its your choice, but, Figuerido has played the full 90 minutes the last two games, and Dawson not one; and whats to say he's definitely off in January?
Other than that, there is Worrall, McKenna, Soh and Blackett to provide cover at CB.
Realise that Blackett is a bit hit-and-miss and Soh a bit raw. but Dawson is a bit, well, old...

See your point re Cafu, and i guess with five others in CM there is strength.
Who knows how long Bachirou is out for, however.
Colback seems to be a shadow of the player we had in 2018.
So that leaves everyone's favourite whipping-boy Yates, Arter the starter and a, probably, broken Sow as our two-from-three options in midfield; thats not enough for the season ahead.

So, on balance, that'll be why Cafu's in the squad for me.

Maybe 9 in defence and 12 in midfield is a bit lop-sided, so can see your Cafu for Dawson argument.

Saying that, a good defence doesn't really change that much, however, and they have less running to do unlike midfield.

I wonder if we'd definitely require three goalies in a 25-man squad?

My summary was, overall 7/10.

The last 20 mins 8.5/10, thought we really looked like a team that could make people think about us and not us worry about them.

I appreciate all the hard running Grabban does, but his finishing is suspect and his first touch/technique for receiving the ball with his back to goal, even worse.

Maybe 9 in defence and 12 in midfield is a bit lop-sided, so can see your Cafu for Dawson argument.

Saying that, a good defence doesn't really change that much, however, and they have less running to do unlike midfield.

I wonder if we'd definitely require three goalies in a 25-man squad?
We actually don't need either Dawson or Cafu to be honest. Would love to see Dawson in a coaching role now, with the ability to play in an emergency. One would think that Ribs and Figs would be sold on in Jan. Fred and Cafu are weird signings, and then we have the usual Hefe, Clough, Bong, Darikwa to shift.
Thats potentially 7 players with question marks over them come Jan 31st who may not be here.
Add another striker in Jan and subtract those above for me (if we can)

Samba
Smith
Diallo

Christie
Jenkinson
Worrall
Figuerido
McKenna
Mbe Soh
Ioannou
Blackett
Ribeiro

Colback
Bachirou
Arter
Sow
Yates
Cafu
Freeman
Knockart
Grosicki
Ameobi
Lolley
Mighten

Grabban
Taylor
Guerreo

Under 21’s don’t count in 25. Thus Mighten and Soh are not counted. Pick two more.

It's horrible when you realise the legs have finally gone.
Mind you a 5 year ban ended my playing days at 32 just as they were beginning to noticably slow me down so that kind of made my mind up for me.
Was that the time you introduced half a dozen werthers originals to the refs head?

Arnold Town versus Rainworth in 93 by any chance?