Supporters Club | Page 27 | Vital Football

Supporters Club

Ask for you money back if you are not happy. Im sure the 0.17% you doanted will not be missed to much
No I dont have the reference for you, are you a Uni tutor?
Its very common knoweldge that the Supporters club has a comittee and they vote on issues pertaining to the running and decisionsfor the supports club
No, I just like info that's backed up, from their website:

"Wigan Athletic Supporters Club has been running for over 40 years now, providing travel to Wigan Athletic first team away games for its members. Wigan Athletic Supporters Club is a non-profit organisation which allows us to keep the costs low for travelling to away games, without compromising safety, comfort or security click here to apply."

As i've stated previously, the money was given with a lot of apprehension and they've done very little to belay those feelings. The long and short is some fan ownership is better than none.

As Jesus Christ Superstar is alleged to have said

And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

Reference provided
Mark 12:41-44
Ah so you're saying that giving more is less, understood. Decisions in life will generally get people to the situation they find themselves in.

I'm not sure how accountable the supporters club is being held, who they should be accountable to and how it can be judged. I'm not the only one who has concerns and will continue to push on here as they dont respond to other communication. I understand in the grand scheme of things I'm not important enough for them to bother with, but i'll continue anyway. If that triggers you I think its more your issue than mine.

My guess would be ale or smack or both.
Its why I will not give money, but should someone ask for food I've not problem taking them to a store/eatery and buying them what ever food they want. At least you can be pretty sure its going to and that you are helping someone.

Its why I will not give money, but should someone ask for food I've not problem taking them to a store/eatery and buying them what ever food they want. At least you can be pretty sure its going to and that you are helping someone.
Tried that and was told to f off.

All this pestering of the SC by people like Wlatic (98%) is getting ridiculous.
You donated the money to the appeal knowing full well that the decision on when/how to spend the money would be taken by the SC committee/executive.
Now you are wanting to put conditions on this, it is too late, when you donated you accepted this as the case.
Stop going on and leave them to get on with it, suggesting there be a poll of season ticket holders or SC members (who may or may not have donated) is unworkable and not necessary.
The people on the exec. are the same people who were there when you made the donation, you trusted them then and so trust them now. The last thing they need is moaning whinging individuals taking up their time as a volunteer.

All this pestering of the SC by people like Wlatic (98%) is getting ridiculous.
You donated the money to the appeal knowing full well that the decision on when/how to spend the money would be taken by the SC committee/executive.
Now you are wanting to put conditions on this, it is too late, when you donated you accepted this as the case.
Stop going on and leave them to get on with it, suggesting there be a poll of season ticket holders or SC members (who may or may not have donated) is unworkable and not necessary.
The people on the exec. are the same people who were there when you made the donation, you trusted them then and so trust them now. The last thing they need is moaning whinging individuals taking up their time as a volunteer.

You are wrong. They need to be accountable. Honesty and transparency is vital. They are are now in a situation far from what they imagined when they took up these roles some years ago. The clubs future is at stake and as fan representatives they need to ensure they engage fully with the fan base before taking any decisions that could be construed as controversial (a subjective term i grant you but it is absolutely necessary) given the sums donated.

This money was donated as you say in good faith, but they now have responsibility on their shoulders to ensure it’s used wisely given what’s at stake. Answering people’s concerns and questions is absolutely vital for this transparency and treating WL as an irritant for example is not acceptable. I am also waiting a reply to a question posed last night. The fact I haven’t received it is concerning. They are volunteers, I understand that. If they require further help and assistance then I’m sure there will be other willing volunteers if they ask for help from other SC members who maybe able to bring a wider range of expertise to the table.

If I'm honest I've never been the biggest fan of the supporters club but that was more a personal preference on the culture around football that I prefer as opposed to the one they do.
Anyway, that aside, they clearly care about the club just as much as anyone else who supports us do & they're trying to do something to help keep the club alive & they've been lucky (if that's the right word) to have been granted some insights & access that many of us haven't. Although that isn't to say that I've always agreed with some of what they've said or asked since the administration started
With that though clearly comes the ability & responsibility to keep much of what is divulged to them secret. Yes they have a responsibility to those who have pledged money to keep them updated but, whether we like it or not, they are limited in what they can tell us.
They have also said if anyone has a query they to contact them & they've given out the email addresses in this thread numerous times but say the vast majority of what they're contacted about is membership. They won't be able to answer all the questions put to them either coz they can't or they don't know - not to mention the fact that they have concerns outside of the supporters club & Wigan Athletic, jobs & families that take up their time too

I agree with MiW though in one respect. I think that if/when the time comes that they are in a position to make a move with the money they need to consult with those who have donated (how they would do that wouldn't necessarily be that easy e.g. should someone who donated £20k have more say than someone who donated a fiver??) about their proposal or the options available to them

Reactions: GSM
If I'm honest I've never been the biggest fan of the supporters club but that was more a personal preference on the culture around football that I prefer as opposed to the one they do.
Anyway, that aside, they clearly care about the club just as much as anyone else who supports us do & they're trying to do something to help keep the club alive & they've been lucky (if that's the right word) to have been granted some insights & access that many of us haven't. Although that isn't to say that I've always agreed with some of what they've said or asked since the administration started
With that though clearly comes the ability & responsibility to keep much of what is divulged to them secret. Yes they have a responsibility to those who have pledged money to keep them updated but, whether we like it or not, they are limited in what they can tell us.
They have also said if anyone has a query they to contact them & they've given out the email addresses in this thread numerous times but say the vast majority of what they're contacted about is membership. They won't be able to answer all the questions put to them either coz they can't or they don't know - not to mention the fact that they have concerns outside of the supporters club & Wigan Athletic, jobs & families that take up their time too

I agree with MiW though in one respect. I think that if/when the time comes that they are in a position to make a move with the money they need to consult with those who have donated (how they would do that wouldn't necessarily be that easy e.g. should someone who donated £20k have more say than someone who donated a fiver??) about their proposal or the options available to them

Should the 100+ Charlton fans that donated have a say or the lad that donated £1 just so he could write in the comments that some girl had robbed his mums car (this was when the crowdfund had gone semi viral and there were quite a few odd comments being made on £1 donations)

Thats an impossible task - as we have seen from just the small amount of fans who post on this forum there are a varied differing views.

The Supporters Club Executives we have to trust them to make the right decision on our behalf for the benefit of the club.

Should the 100+ Charlton fans that donated have a say or the lad that donated £1 just so he could write in the comments that some girl had robbed his mums car (this was when the crowdfund had gone semi viral and there were quite a few odd comments being made on £1 donations)

Whilst any donation was welcome they did specifically set out ‘tier levels’ which obviously have different incentives. Perhaps consulting those donors? Or even just SC members (of which I’m not and have never been one btw as it’s not my thing, so I would be excluded); or like I said season ticket holders from last 3 years if club would release those details (not sure under data protection to be fair they could)

Thats an impossible task - as we have seen from just the small amount of fans who post on this forum there are a varied differing views.

The Supporters Club Executives we have to trust them to make the right decision on our behalf for the benefit of the club.

No we shouldn’t have to trust them. They certainly weren’t elected by any majority of fans and I’ve no idea what they represent or their views. It’s a SC, nothing against them but I’m not even a member as it’s just not my thing. As such it’s hardly representative of the fan base. As an official group it was right however they organised the fundraiser and presented a face but it doesn’t mean they have carte blanche to make unilateral decisions of this nature.

It isn’t an impossible task and as I said they would only need to do it if investing that money with an individual or group who would be considered controversial.

It would be practically impossible to canvass opinion amongst all the members/fund contributors....as people have said above on what basis? How much ‘weight‘ should Contributor A have over Contributor B ? How long and tortuous would that process be at the point we’d need to be making decisions ?.....forget it , simply not possible.

I have ‘bought a brick’, joined the SC and donated hundreds (not a grand) to the Crowdfunder ....so far ....I did so on the basis that I would have spent that on a Season ticket (which hopefully I may do again) ....in short I placed all my trust on the SC committee to do the best for the club....and that trust remains firmly in place.

I don’t want to be on a committee making decisions and taking up my personal time .....so I am especially grateful to those who are happy to do so.

If (and it remains IF) a consortium featuring Ian Lenagan transpires to be the successful bid then I expect the SC to continue cracking on to agree some accommodation with that group .....I absolutely don’t expect them to ask for my permission to do so ....effectively I gave that assent when I contributed (as far as I’m concerned)

Personally I would be far more concerned about Smurthwaite as a bidder, but if he ended up as the only option, then again I‘d expect the SC to make the best of that situation using whatever professional advice might be available to them. They’ll likely need to buy that advice ...or...they may reach out to the supporter base if suitable solicitors/accountants are amongst us ...thats up to them but time will be of the essence so I’d expect the former.

Short of seeing them arrange their next committee meeting at a 5 star all inclusive in Barbados, I won’t be disappointed with whatever course of action they choose to follow.
I accept I can only speak for myself but to the extent someone is particularly unhappy to take that stance themselves, then maybe they should consider trying to withdraw their contribution, but I won’t be.

It would be practically impossible to canvass opinion amongst all the members/fund contributors....as people have said above on what basis? How much ‘weight‘ should Contributor A have over Contributor B ? How long and tortuous would that process be at the point we’d need to be making decisions ?.....forget it , simply not possible.

I have ‘bought a brick’, joined the SC and donated hundreds (not a grand) to the Crowdfunder ....so far ....I did so on the basis that I would have spent that on a Season ticket (which hopefully I may do again) ....in short I placed all my trust on the SC committee to do the best for the club....and that trust remains firmly in place.

I don’t want to be on a committee making decisions and taking up my personal time .....so I am especially grateful to those who are happy to do so.

If (and it remains IF) a consortium featuring Ian Lenagan transpires to be the successful bid then I expect the SC to continue cracking on to agree some accommodation with that group .....I absolutely don’t expect them to ask for my permission to do so ....effectively I gave that assent when I contributed (as far as I’m concerned)

Personally I would be far more concerned about Smurthwaite as a bidder, but if he ended up as the only option, then again I‘d expect the SC to make the best of that situation using whatever professional advice might be available to them. They’ll likely need to buy that advice ...or...they may reach out to the supporter base if suitable solicitors/accountants are amongst us ...thats up to them but time will be of the essence so I’d expect the former.

Short of seeing them arrange their next committee meeting at a 5 star all inclusive in Barbados, I won’t be disappointed with whatever course of action they choose to follow.
I accept I can only speak for myself but to the extent someone is particularly unhappy to take that stance themselves, then maybe they should consider trying to withdraw their contribution, but I won’t be.

It wouldn’t be impossible to canvas opinion at all. Certainly the tier contributors had to provide an email address if you wanted it done formally. I guess SC members had to too. You can gauge opinion informally from say here, twitter, Facebook etc. It’s far from an impossible task. A couple of non elected individuals should not be responsible for solely deciding the direction the club takes with a prospective bidder if they will split opinions. Morally and ethically this is not right.

👏👏👏👏👏...well said MB

Sorry I haven't been on for a bit, all these ads slow my phone and pc up to buggery.

I'll try to address a couple of the comments here which I have also posted on CL.

Emails, if you aren't getting through to the SC send to me, I am briefed pretty regularly by them and the club so if I can answer I will.
The reason the SC is involved so heavily is legal point from the EFL I think. When a club goes into administration, first refusal must go to Official the Supporters Club and if they are not in a position to buy, they will be consulted with by the admins as the process goes on.
The SC was always going to convert to a CBS (community Benefit Society) as recommended by the FSA and was accelerated by administration. At the moment the SC is answerable at the AGM, where every member is invited to look over the finances, ask questions, make suggestions and challenge the committee.
Someone said the SC isn't for everybody. Actually it is inclusive and so anyone can join.
From what I can gather, the SC last season had roughly 20% of all Latics fans (going off season ticket sales and average home ticket sales). I think this has increased on last season.

My email is jason@wiganathleticslo.co.uk in case you don't fancy scrolling back.

No we shouldn’t have to trust them. They certainly weren’t elected by any majority of fans and I’ve no idea what they represent or their views. It’s a SC, nothing against them but I’m not even a member as it’s just not my thing. As such it’s hardly representative of the fan base. As an official group it was right however they organised the fundraiser and presented a face but it doesn’t mean they have carte blanche to make unilateral decisions of this nature.

It isn’t an impossible task and as I said they would only need to do it if investing that money with an individual or group who would be considered controversial.

If you are not and never have been a member of the supporters club, then how do you know how the officers were selected for their positions?
They were agreed at the supporters club AGM, to which all members would be invited. Therefore their positions are legitimate and they have a mandate to run the SC. They made it perfectly clear on the donation page what the money was for and how it would be spent or returned.

If you are not and never have been a member of the supporters club, then how do you know how the officers were selected for their positions?
They were agreed at the supporters club AGM, to which all members would be invited. Therefore their positions are legitimate and they have a mandate to run the SC. They made it perfectly clear on the donation page what the money was for and how it would be spent or returned.

I’m aware how they’re selected. I said they weren’t selected by the majority of fans. The majority of fans aren’t SC members. This shouldn’t be difficult to grasp. As such this minority should not be representing the majority on such an important decision if that decision involves supporting a controversial individual or group - as that would go beyond the scope of expectation when donations were asked for.