Summer Transfer Rumours Thread | Page 23 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

I was under the assumption that if we paid him off it counted towards the cap... unless it doesn't now we've seemingly registered an initial squad with the league and seemingly excluded him?

Termination payments to end a contract are not included in the cap. Also, players excluded from a 22 player squad are not included in the cap (for this season)

If keepers are included we have a squad of 23, unless Devitt hasn't been registered (seeing as he doesn't have a squad number). If keepers aren't included then we have 21.

For this season only you can carry players not registered in your squad and have them not count towards the cap (albeit they can't play in league games), which means we wouldn't have to offload Garrity to create room for a new signing.
I think we have 22 including keepers, but not including U21s (Antwi, Shaw, Fojticek).

Termination payments to end a contract are not included in the cap. Also, players excluded from a 22 player squad are not included in the cap (for this season)
I think they are under 'Other fees and expenses paid directly or indirectly to all registered players'.

I think we have 22 including keepers, but not including U21s (Antwi, Shaw, Fojticek).
Had a bit of clarity on this.

GKs do count towards the 22, but Sims is classed as an U21 because he was 20 as of 1st January this year (a player qualifies as an U21 player if he was under the age of 21 as at 1st January in the year the season concerned commences).

With Devitt also not being registered as part of the squad, we have 20 - leaving us two spaces:

1. Maxwell
2. Turton
3. Howe
4. Husband
5. Ekpiteta
6. Thorniley
7. Nottingham
8. Virtue
9. Robson
10. Williams
11. Garrity
12. Feeney
13. Ward
14. Kaikai
15. Hamilton
16. Anderson
17. Sarkic
18. Yates
19. Madine
20. Nuttall

I think they are under 'Other fees and expenses paid directly or indirectly to all registered players'.

Bizarrely, it was in a local Portsmouth paper that I read that termination of contract payments are specifically excluded. If you think about it, it does make sense for 2 reasons. If you need to reduce your squad size there is only two ways of doing that, selling a player or by paying up their contract, so you shouldn't be penalised for that. And in terminating the player you are reducing your ongoing budget commitments

Bizarrely, it was in a local Portsmouth paper that I read that termination of contract payments are specifically excluded. If you think about it, it does make sense for 2 reasons. If you need to reduce your squad size there is only two ways of doing that, selling a player or by paying up their contract, so you shouldn't be penalised for that. And in terminating the player you are reducing your ongoing budget commitments
Got a link?

I can't find the Portsmouth link just now but I have emailed you one from the local Doncaster paper which mentions severance payments being excluded

I can't find the Portsmouth link just now but I have emailed you one from the local Doncaster paper which mentions severance payments being excluded
Cheers, that's interesting as I was of the understanding that was holding Devitt leaving up. He's not willing to take less than he's owed; the two clubs after him won't match what he's on here and we won't fully bridge the gap (although there has been some movement on this as I alluded to the other day)... but given that he doesn't count towards the cap if we don't want him to I wonder whether we've trying to drive a hard bargain, and not including him in the squad is part of that i.e. you won't feature for us, and who's going to take a chance on a player who effectively hasn't played in two years when you're capped at 20 players next season? (The 2 clubs who want him are both in L2)

Had a bit of clarity on this.

GKs do count towards the 22, but Sims is classed as an U21 because he was 20 as of 1st January this year (a player qualifies as an U21 player if he was under the age of 21 as at 1st January in the year the season concerned commences).

With Devitt also not being registered as part of the squad, we have 20 - leaving us two spaces:

1. Maxwell
2. Turton
3. Howe
4. Husband
5. Ekpiteta
6. Thorniley
7. Nottingham
8. Virtue
9. Robson
10. Williams
11. Garrity
12. Feeney
13. Ward
14. Kaikai
15. Hamilton
16. Anderson
17. Sarkic
18. Yates
19. Madine
20. Nuttall
Yes if you take Sims and Devitt out there's 20 that count. I've been wondering what the cut off date for 21 year olds is. Where did you find that info? There's very little info out there.

If you can sell the player that is the best option because you get some money back and them off the payroll. If you loan a player out you get some money back to credit against the cap, but you may still have to meet some of their costs, which still count towards the cap.
If you exclude someone from your 22 man squad they don't count towards the cap, but they are still costing the club money and you cannot play them, unless you intend to bring them back into the squad at a later date. If you have no intention of doing so you can of course let their contract just run down. But it probably will not cost you any more (and possibly less if the player wants to seek a new club earlier) if you terminate the contract, especially if you can afford to and such costs don't count towards the cap.

If you can sell the player that is the best option because you get some money back and them off the payroll. If you loan a player out you get some money back to credit against the cap, but you may still have to meet some of their costs, which still count towards the cap.
If you exclude someone from your 22 man squad they don't count towards the cap, but they are still costing the club money and you cannot play them, unless you intend to bring them back into the squad at a later date. If you have no intention of doing so you can of course let their contract just run down. But it probably will not cost you any more (and possibly less if the player wants to seek a new club earlier) if you terminate the contract, especially if you can afford to and such costs don't count towards the cap.
Depends if you pay them off as a lump sum or not. If you don't you're still liable for tax, NI etc. I know of another L1 club who didn't pay off a player with a lump sum and now regret it!

Depends if you pay them off as a lump sum or not. If you don't you're still liable for tax, NI etc. I know of another L1 club who didn't pay off a player with a lump sum and now regret it!

It always makes sense to pay off as a lump sum, if the club can afford to do it. And there is some tax advantage for the player if there is a gap between contract termination and any new contract