City Gossip | Page 91 | Vital Football

City Gossip

VAR’s implementation in the PL has been massively flawed and far from removing the concept of human error and potential bias, it only served to reinforce fallibility and the dependence of judgements affected by context - e.g. (IMO) Salah’s goal against City moments after Alexander-Arnold handballed in the LiVARpool penalty area at Anfield. If that - oops the technology conveniently failed at that moment - wasn’t influenced by the impact awarding a penalty to the hated City and at the same time denying a goal to Chosen Ones then I don’t know what was.

The use to determine offsides based on a stud length or armpit hair was never what most fans envisaged. Everyone wanted clarity not endless reviews over micro-millimetres and frame rates. The chronic failure to use the pitchside monitors smacks of arrogance and a desire to retain control by the PGMOL.

^ The refs must use the pitside monitor and be allowed to run the game and make all the decisions, otherwise VAR will be called into bias and disrepute. VAR should be a positive for our sport and needs to be the same system of interprutation all over the World.

^ The refs must use the pitside monitor and be allowed to run the game and make all the decisions, otherwise VAR will be called into bias and disrepute. VAR should be a positive for our sport and needs to be the same system of interprutation all over the World.

Agree re pitched monitors - I assumed that is what it would be ie ref gets a message saying 'there was a handball/foul etc in the build up to that goal' ref says either; 'no problem I saw it, goal can stand' or 'gosh missed that, thanks for alerting me, I'll go and take a gander on the pitch side monitor'.

Agree re pitched monitors - I assumed that is what it would be ie ref gets a message saying 'there was a handball/foul etc in the build up to that goal' ref says either; 'no problem I saw it, goal can stand' or 'gosh missed that, thanks for alerting me, I'll go and take a gander on the pitch side monitor'.

Logical line of thought it seems to me.