So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 7 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Success is relative, the season was par for the course in my opinion so I wouldnt exactly call it a success either but certainly not a failure.

I fully understand anyone who felt lied to and I think some of us, myself included initially bought into the hype. I think some questions do need to be answered and it certainly won't be right if they said this is what they really expected. If so why tell the lie? Do they think we hadnt the stomach or wouldnt support the club, or wouldnt get the crowds? Maybe but they have to know the quickest way to lose the fans is to destroy transparency and trust.

What Mike says I agree with but I dont know if its reality or if its just how he's making sense of a bad situation. Believe it or not what Mike says makes sense in the context of how the season panned out but is that what the board expected or is it simply hindsight?

I dont think there is a middle-ground unfortunately.

Don't wish to piss on any parade but I think a some might need to temper their expectations as to our transfer business.

The transfer window , seasons, finances and in fact the whole world is out of routine due to the pandemic. I don't expect a run of the mill window . I think it will be incredibly difficult to get exactly what the fans and the club want or expect.

It will be the same for all clubs.

Success is relative, the season was par for the course in my opinion so I wouldnt exactly call it a success either but certainly not a failure.

I fully understand anyone who felt lied to and I think some of us, myself included initially bought into the hype. I think some questions do need to be answered and it certainly won't be right if they said this is what they really expected. If so why tell the lie? Do they think we hadnt the stomach or wouldnt support the club, or wouldnt get the crowds? Maybe but they have to know the quickest way to lose the fans is to destroy transparency and trust.

What Mike says I agree with but I dont know if its reality or if its just how he's making sense of a bad situation. Believe it or not what Mike says makes sense in the context of how the season panned out but is that what the board expected or is it simply hindsight?

I dont think there is a middle-ground unfortunately.

As far as I understand it we couldn't sensibly spend anymore last season, so how could the owners do anymore? Surely we all know this is going to take time and we first have to establish ourselves again as a Premiership club.

Don't wish to piss on any parade but I think a some might need to temper their expectations as to our transfer business.

The transfer window , seasons, finances and in fact the whole world is out of routine due to the pandemic. I don't expect a run of the mill window . I think it will be incredibly difficult to get exactly what the fans and the club want or expect.

It will be the same for all clubs.
Certainly this window is going to be strange. If journos are to be believed (yes I know who believes journos) clubs in Spain and Italy are not going to have the funds to buy players at the level they were going. If it does depress fees that will help us and football. Transfer fees and wages were spiraling out of control.

I don't think you're making yourself clear - exactly because I know you! And I fully accept some flippancy, jokes have been lost in translation (and in the madness of the weekend maybe I've missed other posts) but others don't know you as well (as they don't me, when I get called on things! lol).

You're hanging to the line survival wasn't enough and fans shouldn't celebrate because it's small time when survival was all that could be expected this year.

Yes, counter with 'they didn't say that'. They didn't, but that's not my problem, it wasn't realistic on any level of possibility. We should be more points better off, but it wouldn't put us top half (as they implied was the aim I grant you). That was their mistake, not mine and it was a mistake of anyone who swallowed it.

Any old shit this season was perfectly acceptable. We had to rebuild an ageing squad not considered good enough to win the Champ (and proved they couldn't win the Champ over two years repeatedly making the Play Offs) - new squad, new team, new city, country, language etc etc etc and DS adjusting to the level.

EDIT for spaz as referenced - also consider FFP that we only escaped points deductions based on the Stadium deal. So we might not have been here anyway.

Survival is a success. It's not the success we want, crave - call it what you want. But for a write off season with those changes, it is a success. Now we have to kick on properly, show proper ambition because we don't need to sign players to cover those who we rightly let go (because they weren't good enough for the Champ!).

Can't have it all ways mate, we are not the club you claim we are or want us to be. We could be in a couple of years again, but that's not me or others accepting mediocrity, it's an understanding of the position we are currently in that we all want to desperately change. A position that now massively changes because we stayed up and I'm not alone in now demanding far more next season.

You are coming over as thinking we should have challenged for Europe this season and with all the changes that was impossible. We support the same club, but we seem to have different perceptions on where this club currently exists in football.

I'm not wrong for appreciating where we are - you aren't wrong for wanting us to be where we should be - next season we should meet more in the middle. If we do, that's ambition for me, if we don't, heads roll in a way they couldn't this year.

--------

My post spazzed half way through, so final point is, season tickets this year should be frozen at best to thank and acknowledge Covid issues. But you know as well as I do, given FFP, we need that revenue to spend and some already argue we didn't spend enough - despite roughly spending what wouldn't put us in the shit if we went back down. Again, it's another reason I say this year was a write off as it wasn't all about survival, it was also about long term financial future. There's more than one ball being juggled this year and at the death, we caught them all.

Next season shows ambitions, not of the fans, of the club.

It was a shit thing to say, full stop. People are allowed different opinions but with some of you recently, you talk like you have the gospel.

I know you don't mean to mate, but you are coming off as disappointed we survived.

Just a follow up to this twatish comment

What a relief ... WHAT A RELIEF.

And on that note, taking a breather from 100% and football for tonight. Too exhausting for words all this!

:wahey::wave::wahey:

And my last post in this thread until after our game tomorrow:

I do SO hope, for Smiths sake, all goes well tomorrow and we stay up (it goes without saying I want to stay up anyway but...) as I would hate a nice guy and a Villa fan to be taking us down and he has had to put up with the horrible situation of the passing of his dad, after a long drawn out bout of dementia (fucking awful affliction that it is)

COME ON YOU VILLA BOYS :utv:

I will be seriously questioning the ambition if couldn't hit a cows arse with banjo Keinan Davis is part of our squad to begin the season and is not loaned out to
A - play some football
B - Find the goal scoring touch that he is supposed to be finding in order that he gets off and running .

It is 100 percent not acceptable to have a senior striker in a premier league squad worth its salt who is only good to come on and hold the ball up occasionally or start a game where it is acceptable that he is there not to score but hold the ball up.

I will be seriously questioning the ambition if couldn't hit a cows arse with banjo Keinan Davis is part of our squad to begin the season and is not loaned out to
A - play some football
B - Find the goal scoring touch that he is supposed to be finding in order that he gets off and running .

It is 100 percent not acceptable to have a senior striker in a premier league squad worth its salt who is only good to come on and hold the ball up occasionally or start a game where it is acceptable that he is there not to score but hold the ball up.
Having seen him a little bit I get the reason why they see promise in him, but he has to be able to hit the target. Without that he is useless to the club. I really hope he can work on that over the next year or two, maybe on loan in a lower division, and get it. Maybe he needs a mentor, or personal training to get it. Scoring is a skill and it can be learn't, trouble is the squad doesn't have a natural striker in it at the moment.

Depending on how soon it will be before Heaton is fit again, I would be tempted to ask AC Milan to provide another 6 months at least on the loan of Pepe Reina. He has shown some good organisation for the defence since his howler against Leicester. Nyland is not really the one to fill the gap until Heaton returns and Reina does have loads of experience and does seem to have an affinity with the club.

yes, they'd have to do it by the length of time people have had a season ticket

As much as I would like this because I would benefit I don't see how they would 'have' to do it by that at all. I don't think they will either.

Squad rotation system I reckon.

If Deano is staying put I hope we bring in a well respected name for the sporting director role. Maybe a Van Gaal or Hiddink type. Loads of contacts in the game and would help us attract quality players. They may have retired from management/coaching but maybe something like sporting director would appeal more.

Think Purslow meant it he said we weren't aiming for 17th, we weren't here to make up the numbers. Maybe he was right.

We've misfired so many times this season, and game management has to be part of it. Concentration has flagged at many different times in the games. We have thrown away too many points at the end of it, but also at breaks in the game we seem to relax.

Even with this squad we should have done much better. At the start of December after 14 matches we were 15th, point behind Newcastle, 7 ahead of Watford. We ended 9 points behind Newcastle, 1 ahead of Watford. I thought we'd push on; we faded, badly. We only survived because 3 other teams were incapable of pulling themselves out of it.

For me, parity with Newcastle was achievable, and we failed.

A new and dynamic fantastic four rocking up at VP next season consisting of the young lad from Brentford, Calum Wilson, Mitrovic and our marquee signing Zaha blasting in a combined 30 + plus goals and shooting up the league...ah one can dream :lol:

A new and dynamic fantastic four rocking up at VP next season consisting of the young lad from Brentford, Calum Wilson, Mitrovic and our marquee signing Zaha blasting in a combined 30 + plus goals and shooting up the league...ah one can dream :lol:

No reason why they shouldn't get some dreams to be reality, if not they can stop selling the big plans and ambitions stuff and let us settle!

No reason why they shouldn't get some dreams to be reality, if not they can stop selling the big plans and ambitions stuff and let us settle!
This... Hopefully the powers at the club now understand that not only is it important to have good, experienced players, but that the best possible signal of ambition is in the player(s) that they sign. The club needs a marquee signing to show the world we mean business... John Gregory pulled off a couple with Dublin, Merson and Ginola. BFR made the Dean Saunders signing a massive event that everyone (including Ellis) sat up and took notice of. Even Houllier did it with Bent. It's in the best interests of everyone, including Grealish and others in the team who want to play with better players....

Status
Not open for further replies.