So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 9 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other teams will up the prices, as they did last summer. I don't think we'll pay over the odds, or only in exceptional cases. £20m for Championship players? Nope. In general, buying Championship players is even worse than buying relegated PL players.

I'd look for players from the Spanish and French, and maybe even Italian, leagues, where clubs have a lot of financial troubles.
Why? Each decent championship team usually has at least two or three premier league quality players. What's wrong with taking them? Same with relegated teams. If the boot was on the other foot and we were relegated, would you have judged West Ham for signing Mings, McGinn or Grealish?

Taking the best of the championship players and relegated premier league players has many off field advantages. Generally easier to settle in, no language barriers etc. We took Luke Young, Milner, Ashley Young, Darren Bent, Fabian Delph etc from lesser sides and they all went on to do very well for us.

We took Luke Young, Milner, Ashley Young, Darren Bent, Fabian Delph etc from lesser sides and they all went on to do very well for us.

All of those apart from Delph had previous Premier League experience though. They weren't risky signings. I would rather go for relegated players who stood out in there teams than Championship players.

All of those apart from Delph had previous Premier League experience though. They weren't risky signings. I would rather go for relegated players who stood out in there teams than Championship players.
I'd agree with you there but I also wouldn't turn my nose up to Championship players. I think Philipps and Benrahma would have done a lot better for us than Nakamba and Trezeguet.

I'd agree with you there but I also wouldn't turn my nose up to Championship players. I think Philipps and Benrahma would have done a lot better for us than Nakamba and Trezeguet.

Of course, it's not as if Championship players have never made the step up before, but I guess for now, the less risk the better.

Benrahma is a funny one, I have no idea how he would fare in the Premier League, but like you say, he's probably a step up from Trez and El Ghazi.

Problem is Col, that would be more of a step backwards than last summer was with our changes. We have to kick on and go for midtable this season with key signings to immediately improve our flaws - not replace and try and bed in even more players than we did last summer.

A rapid evolution not revolution.

Problem is Col, that would be more of a step backwards than last summer was with our changes. We have to kick on and go for midtable this season with key signings to immediately improve our flaws - not replace and try and bed in even more players than we did last summer.

A rapid evolution not revolution.
Just buy Liverpool FC, use them as a feeder club.....sorted

Why? Each decent championship team usually has at least two or three premier league quality players. What's wrong with taking them? Same with relegated teams. If the boot was on the other foot and we were relegated, would you have judged West Ham for signing Mings, McGinn or Grealish?

Taking the best of the championship players and relegated premier league players has many off field advantages. Generally easier to settle in, no language barriers etc. We took Luke Young, Milner, Ashley Young, Darren Bent, Fabian Delph etc from lesser sides and they all went on to do very well for us.

They do not. There are very few players in the Championship who are genuine PL quality. And they're usually in the teams getting promoted. If those teams are lucky.

Mings, McGinn and Jack are different. They've spent the last year playing in the PL, even if we had got relegated.

They do not. There are very few players in the Championship who are genuine PL quality. And they're usually in the teams getting promoted. If those teams are lucky.

Mings, McGinn and Jack are different. They've spent the last year playing in the PL, even if we had got relegated.
Mings, McGinn and Grealish are our best players and were last summer too. We finished 5th in the championship with those three. There's plenty of players in that league that would do a job for us. It's more competitive and more wealthy than a lot of leagues on the continent. Shouldn't turn our noses up at championship players.

There's plenty of players in that league that would do a job for us. Shouldn't turn our noses up at championship players.

I think a 'handful' is a fairer statement, we could certainly do a lot worse than look at the younger players to poach off some of those teams for a couple seasons down the road.

Like that Massengo lad at Bristol, is he any use? He is 19 and played 25 games. Pick him up and loan him back maybe. Put it in perspective, we loaned out Jacob Ramsey. He is also 19 but has only managed 7 games in League One.

Quick breakdown by position, based on two for each, plus 3 for GK's and centre-forward:

1. Heaton, Steer, +1
2. Guilbert, Elmo
3. +1, Targett
4. Mings, Hause
5. Konsa, Engels
6. Luiz, Nakamba
7. McGinn, +1
8. Grealish, +1
9. +1, Wesley, Samatta
10. +1, Trezeguet
11. +2
That's ideally nine players coming in.

To go:
Reina (loan ends)
Nyland (sell)
Kalinic (sell)
Bree (sell)
Taylor (sell, only IF we get someone better than Targett)
Chester (free transfer, season-ticket for life, and a wad of cash in his pocket)
Lansbury (free transfer/cancel contract)
Hourihane (sell, but keep if the 5 substitute rule is ratified))
Davis (season long loan to a competitive championship club)
Drinkwater (loan ends)
Jota (free transfer with a thank you card for letting us purge Gardner)
El Ghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.