Ellis Chapman Rejects Deal | Page 8 | Vital Football

Ellis Chapman Rejects Deal

And can I just add and immortal Vampire Weekend lyric?
'Who gives a fuck about an Oxford Comma?'

I'm not so sure. The over priced, congested sewer that is modern day London or Huddersfield within striking distance of affordable vibrant Manchester/Leeds or some very pleasant smaller towns and villages depending on personal choice.
And shit weather. No, sorry, I mean really depressingly shit weather.

There is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with 'and'

I think the 'And' issue at the beginning of a sentence, stems from primary school teachers trying to encourage diversity of language, as opposed to a series of sentences beginning with and e.g.

Donald Trump is a really intelligent man. And he has nice hair. And he has a natural skin tone. And he treats women with respect. And he is self-effacing. And he has built a wall that has protected America from Covid-19. And ..... a list of other things.

If James Joyce can write 'Ulysses' to critical acclaim, we should all be able to play around with the English language and be forgiven for not following previous 'norms' if our meaning is understood.

That said; don't get me started on Americanised auto-spell and it's obsession with the preference of 'z' over 's'.

Are you sure the z form was not original and the frenchified s was a 19th century affectation?

You're probably right, but my issue is that they are now largely interchangeable in a number of words and I resent the implication that I should chose one over the other in every instance.

It's possible to have an entirely correct sentence containing five consecutive"and"s...

And to address the thread, I hope that Ellis goes on to have a cracking career at whichever club he joins and beyond...

Yes, and I used to teach that sentence to the kids at school who couldn't believe that it actually works.

Chapman isn't nearly good enough for the championship. I didn't think he was good enough for L2, frankly.

For once Notty I fully agree with you, we're all going to look pretty stupid if he bursts into the Championship scene next season but it's a calculated risk I personally would be happy to take.

Last edited:
Championship clubs can afford to buy work in progress/potential

we can’t, we need 20 players all at league 1 standard.

chapman isnt at league 1 yet but may be in a few years.

good luck to him - he will benefit from better facilities and will no doubt get game time either as u23 or league 2 loan. his natural footballing skills (good on the ball etc) can be developed and the better quality coaching can work on the other aspects of his game.

this is just a case of we have outgrown each other. If we were a mid table league 2 club he would be playing most weeks.

I think he is being sensible in leaving

That said; don't get me started on Americanised auto-spell and it's obsession with the preference of 'z' over 's'.

spent the first 30 years of my life with zed, the last 30 with zee. I don’t remember the first five years and can barely remember the last five. Welcome to my world 🤣

spent the first 30 years of my life with zed, the last 30 with zee. I don’t remember the first five years and can barely remember the last five. Welcome to my world 🤣

I'm past caring, they all think I'm from Australia....

If your bitter about the Cowleys leaving just come out and say it, if you've got the bullocks. Or if you don't think I'm not a MA supporter just tell me straight but don't try to ridicule my point by giving me a poxy English lesson please.
I'm not bitter about the Cowleys leaving. I'm grateful for the 3 years they gave us, and they earned the right to move upwards. It's a job, and they have moved on with their careers. I wish them all the best.

I wasn't being critical of your post, but I can address your post directly if you wish.

"I would say the 12 points the Cowley's put on the board were vital in terms of our final finishing position rather than welcome."

Cannot disagree here. It could be said that the early start got us all a bit overexcited, which then made the fall back down to Earth a bit harder to swallow. But it would be foolish to say that points on the board aren't a good thing.

"The season started on August 3rd not the day MA was appointed."

Correct

"Look, I'm not saying MA would of took us down or that the Cowley's would of had us finish a lot higher in the league, we will never know the answer to those questions"

A fair statement. We will never know.

"but having said that I would of been extremely surprised had we finished in the bottom 3 no matter who would of been in charge."

Looking at the state of the clubs that were relegated, it was always going to be a serious underperformance to see us relegated. We had relegation form at times, but I think everyone could see that the glimpses of quality.

Personally I think MA has done a great job with the thankless task he took on. Combined with the excellent guidance from the board, we are in a strong position to survive the post-Covid L1.

So to conclude - I was not indirectly disagreeing with you, I was just being a grammar pedant.

I'm not bitter about the Cowleys leaving. I'm grateful for the 3 years they gave us, and they earned the right to move upwards. It's a job, and they have moved on with their careers. I wish them all the best.

I wasn't being critical of your post, but I can address your post directly if you wish.

"I would say the 12 points the Cowley's put on the board were vital in terms of our final finishing position rather than welcome."

Cannot disagree here. It could be said that the early start got us all a bit overexcited, which then made the fall back down to Earth a bit harder to swallow. But it would be foolish to say that points on the board aren't a good thing.

"The season started on August 3rd not the day MA was appointed."

Correct

"Look, I'm not saying MA would of took us down or that the Cowley's would of had us finish a lot higher in the league, we will never know the answer to those questions"

A fair statement. We will never know.

"but having said that I would of been extremely surprised had we finished in the bottom 3 no matter who would of been in charge."

Looking at the state of the clubs that were relegated, it was always going to be a serious underperformance to see us relegated. We had relegation form at times, but I think everyone could see that the glimpses of quality.

Personally I think MA has done a great job with the thankless task he took on. Combined with the excellent guidance from the board, we are in a strong position to survive the post-Covid L1.

So to conclude - I was not indirectly disagreeing with you, I was just being a grammar pedant.
Sorry to be pedantic, but it is would have, not would of.