Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm | Page 32 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm

I saw a comment on twitter that said Dean Smith's plan B is plan A but with Trezeguet.

Sounds about right.

You are a brave man to go on twitter after another Villa defeat mate.

Nothing but Villa hating fruitcakes gloating as they stick the knife in.

I stay well clear as I would only retaliate and no doubt get suspended.

Grealish anonymous, El Ghazi anonymous, Hourihane anonymous, Mcginn anonymous. Quite clearly not going to get a result with that many no shows. Thought Targett and Grealish offered far too much space on their right, which was a major contributor to their goal, second goal poor marking in midfield with Mcginn nowhere to be seen and Hourihane too slow to close down the space meant he could only deflect it in rather than block it entirely. Going forwards the wing backs and wingers offered nothing, not sure if Grealish was too heavily marked or if he was just playing in second gear either way his impact was non existent but also shame on the other players who failed to step up.

Man of the match Luiz for me. Followed by Mings and Hause and then Davis and Samatta. The rest not good enough. Nyland made a few good saves but almost put it in his own net again simply no excuse to have a keeper who makes a howler nearly every game.

On to the manager, initially I found it odd we went for the same starting 11. Chelsea are nowhere near the same proposition as Sheffield so don’t understand why he refused to change the team or tactics. To me it was obvious we needed someone tougher and more hard working in midfield than Hourihane, Nakamba would have been ideal but wasn’t put on until we were losing - a waste of time. El Ghazi once again not in the game but persists with the same system and then just switches like-for-like for the equally inept Trezeguet, hardly quality game management that is. Absolutely sick of throwing away winning positions, it’s disgusting and clearly shows a lack of in-game management ability rather than a lack of quality... if we were completely devoid of quality we wouldn’t be leading at all but to consistently throw it away shows something not right.

Last edited:
You are a brave man to go on twitter after another Villa defeat mate.

Nothing but Villa hating fruitcakes gloating as they stick the knife in.

I stay well clear as I would only retaliate and no doubt get suspended.

I just agree with most as they all say Smith should go and have done for ages.

we where very lucky to be in front in the first place to much sitting back letting them come at us chucking up to davis who did his best but against 3 it was a losing battle no support then to start second half like we did the first is naff sitting back again may have been lucky with one of the goals all match you could see it coming same old same old every bloody match
We weren’t even “chucking it up to Davis” we were kicking it 20 or 30 yards away from him

I saw a comment on twitter that said Dean Smith's plan B is plan A but with Trezeguet.

Sounds about right.

Agreed. he needs to be braver and chance it when we are behind. Like for like positional changes Samatta, Trez, and Nakamba, to bring on similar standard or arguably inferior versions of what we already had makes us worse not better.

We need McGinn to be back to his best as our big post break improvement, but that's not happened yet. But getting him and Jack much higher up the pitch is essential if we are going to carry any threat. And taking Davis off was ridiculous as a fightback was always likely to be needed, with two up top.