O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis. | Page 118 | Vital Football

O/T Covid-19 - Discussion for the duration of this crisis.

He hasn't committed suicide at all, but it will cost him some short term support.

Cummings is not dark genuis, he is just yet another PM's personal advisor., something that has happened for the last 30-40 years (depending on where you start).

Those in higher office rarely apologise now, it's fallen out of fashion and the spin doctors will tell you, it never works the way you think it will.
Cummings is anything but just another personal advisor...if you have read anything about the way Johnson operates you would realise that....Johnson has no ideas of his own, he delegates everything to those that do providing the outcome is going to be favourable for him and the man who gives the yeah or nay is Cummings....he is an anarchist at the centre of government, put there because he masterminded the referendum strategy for the leave campaign and Johnson’s path to PM.

Cummings is anything but just another personal advisor...if you have read anything about the way Johnson operates you would realise that....Johnson has no ideas of his own, he delegates everything to those that do providing the outcome is going to be favourable for him and the man who gives the yeah or nay is Cummings....he is an anarchist at the centre of government, put there because he masterminded the referendum strategy for the leave campaign and Johnson’s path to PM.

Yes, I've read the stuff, but it's not even close to a view I subscribe to about Johnson.

He hasn't committed suicide at all, but it will cost him some short term support.

Cummings is not dark genuis, he is just yet another PM's personal advisor., something that has happened for the last 30-40 years (depending on where you start).

Those in higher office rarely apologise now, it's fallen out of fashion and the spin doctors will tell you, it never works the way you think it will.

Sorry...Excuses EX
I never said Genius by the way I said Dark Lord!!!
Why do they not apologise..If I was advising I would have not chosen this path I would have advised ...' just apologise take the fine and move on....end of story...but no, times have changed forget the last 30-40 yeas of advisor history...this is unprecendented times and the cabinet have failed to see what impact thier actions have on the populace...indefensible strategy in my tiny opinion. I gbeg to differ with your views on this EX.

Time will tell.

Sorry...Excuses EX
I never said Genius by the way I said Dark Lord!!!
Why do they not apologise..If I was advising I would have not chosen this path I would have advised ...' just apologise take the fine and move on....end of story...but no, times have changed forget the last 30-40 yeas of advisor history...this is unprecendented times and the cabinet have failed to see what impact thier actions have on the populace...indefensible strategy in my tiny opinion. I gbeg to differ with your views on this EX.

Time will tell.

NO problem, we all can't agree or this place would be boring, by the end of June Cummings won't even be mentioned the feeding frenzy is almost over.

An apology in politics immediately pushes all their reasoning and explanations aside, to say "I was wrong". Many believe admitting ones actions or reasoning were incorrect, dilutes all respect in past and future interactions.

To us, everyday people, admitting you were wrong actually builds character and shows intelligence. Egos can most certainly get in the way of personal growth.

I don't think they're going to let this one go somehow. There are too many from within his own ranks calling for him to go now.
It's interesting because Labour's leader, Kier Starmer, has also suggested moving the debate on. The thinking apparently is that the political damage has already been done to BoJo and the government. To continue risks Labour being seen as more interested in political point scoring than helping to fight against Covid.

They are also taking the view, apparently, that there is more political capital to be made in Cummings staying than leaving.

Whatever the political outcome, I think the government has lost all authority over the lockdown. People who do continue to social distance and take any other safety measures, are doing so because it's their personal decision not because the government has told them.

Whereas when the story broke and up until Cumming's briefing there was anger, there is now just ridicule. That's always dangerous for any government policy.

There is an interesting analysis on BBC news website. It breaks down Cummings movements both Durham and Barnard Castle. It concludes he did commit a minor offence, probably two. But he broke govt guidelines many times.
After visiting his wife and suspecting she had Covid on the Friday he was seen running away from Downing Street, he returned to work even though he could have been infected himself after having contact with his wife.
While very sick he drove to a Hospital in Durham to collect his wife and son who had been ill. An ambulance picked the boy up and the health authorities said one could have returned them. Govt guidelines state you must stay isolated at home while infected.
Driving with impaired vision is against the law and he suspected it may not be good enough so made a test trip. This is supplementary to the offence of driving 30 miles to a destination for exercise. He admitted he felt sick and had to rest on a public bench.
The report is worth a read.

I watched the Emily Maitlis introduction on Newsnight via YouTube. I listened very carefully to each element. I didnt see anything wrong in what she said. It was all true.

I watched the Emily Maitlis introduction on Newsnight via YouTube. I listened very carefully to each element. I didnt see anything wrong in what she said. It was all true.

It was only 'true' if it was provable, which it wasn't, if she'd said the 'left' and it's supporters have all accused the govenment/cummings /Boris of ignoring the rules, and were grandstanding it might have been true, but stating something that had not yet been proved took her into dark waters.

There are reports of spikes in infections since lockdown removal around the world. Notably S Korea and Japan. S Korea has had to re-close over 200 schools.
I hope the govt has got this relaxation right, the lockdown was too little , too late. The release could be too much , too soon.

I have many friends saying much the same thing; there is an indepth study today that confirms that of 15,000 people tested and other test groups that less than 7% of the countries population has been infected so far, so on the one hand, the lockdown worked well in ending the transmission as far as it could, but as it's so small a number that a second wave (which maybe deadlier) is now certain.

It was only 'true' if it was provable, which it wasn't, if she'd said the 'left' and it's supporters have all accused the govenment/cummings /Boris of ignoring the rules, and were grandstanding it might have been true, but stating something that had not yet been proved took her into dark waters.

The polls suggest the majority of the Country are angry. It has been proved Cummings broke the rules. 40 or so MPs have dissented which is proof there is growing disquiet in the party. I'm only going on the introduction from Maitlis. Of those 3 elements, which are untrue or unproven. ?

I have many friends saying much the same thing; there is an indepth study today that confirms that of 15,000 people tested and other test groups that less than 7% of the countries population has been infected so far, so on the one hand, the lockdown worked well in ending the transmission as far as it could, but as it's so small a number that a second wave (which maybe deadlier) is now certain.

I was perhaps naive in my understanding of daily infection numbers. Instead of maybe 2500 cases there are actually near 9000 daily. That is certainly not a basis to relax IMO. Until recently the figures were 4000 reported new cases via the daily briefing and that was too high. So which is it 2000 or 9000 currently ?

I was perhaps naive in my understanding of daily infection numbers. Instead of maybe 2500 cases there are actually near 9000 daily. That is certainly not a basis to relax IMO. Until recently the figures were 4000 reported new cases via the daily briefing and that was too high. So which is it 2000 or 9000 currently ?
The 9,000 figure is the estimated unconfirmed cases.