What are you cooking during lockdown? | Page 7 | Vital Football

What are you cooking during lockdown?

Lunch today (and you have to imagine this is in broad Kentuckian): beans and cornbread!

A recipe my better-half used to cook when she lived in the USA and hasn't done for 30 years. Delicious, with a real kick from the cayenne pepper!

I've only just spotted this thread otherwise I would have joined in sooner!

Since being a member of Slimming World (I started on 17 February) the way I cook has changed; out has gone the extra virgin olive oil to be replaced with a one-cal spray. The style of cooking has only slightly changed, however. I love cooking Indian food and have successfully converted many recipes I already had as well as many new ones from a Slimming World curry book. Plenty of lentils done with such things as aubergine, cabbage, peppers etc.

Last night, I made some perfectly enjoyable, syn free, SW chips to go with my haddock steak, peas and sweetcorn. My wife had sea bass with the veg but no chips. Things are working very well as I have now lost 25lbs, so it's been entirely worth it.

Lunch today (and you have to imagine this is in broad Kentuckian): beans and cornbread!

A recipe my better-half used to cook when she lived in the USA and hasn't done for 30 years. Delicious, with a real kick from the cayenne pepper!
Sounds interesting Notty. Something I wouldn't mind trying myself. We had a holiday last April driving around California, Nevada and a smidge of Arizona and I tried as many American dishes as possible. I managed to tick off grits, biscuits and gravy, chicken-fried steak and a burger in a tiny diner. They even asked how I wanted the burger cooked; perfect!

Last edited:
I've only just spotted this thread otherwise I would have joined in sooner!

Since being a member of Slimming World (I started on 17 February) the way I cook has changed; out has gone the extra virgin olive oil to be replaced with a one-cal spray. The style of cooking has only slightly changed, however. I love cooking Indian food and have successfully converted many recipes I already had as well as many new ones from a Slimming World curry book. Plenty of lentils done with such things as aubergine, cabbage, peppers etc.

Last night, I made some perfectly enjoyable, syn free, SW chips to go with my haddock steak, peas and sweetcorn. My wife had sea bass with the veg but no chips. Things are working very well as I have now lost 25lbs, so it's been entirely worth it.
Great effort on the weight loss! Sounds like you've been making some nice stuff.

Sounds interesting Notty. Something I wouldn't mind trying myself. We had a holiday last April driving around California, Nevada and a smidge of Arizona and I tried as many American dishes as possible. I managed to tick off grits, biscuits and gravy, chicken-fried steak and a burger in a tiny diner. They event and how I wanted the burger cooked; perfect!

Yep, we've done chicken fried steak as well.

As the joke goes:

There's 4 things on the menu:

Beans
Cornbread
Beans and cornbread
Cornbread and beans

Lightweight nosh tonight with good weather on the horizon and BBQ`S pending.

Homemade tuna rice and vegetables.....carry forward to tomorrow.
.......plus a shop bought pizza with extra ingredients,(chorizo/chilli)

Aged Gouda plus Gruyere and homemade bread.

lastly more leftovers.....pear and mandarin tart...homemade.

Belgian beer Duvel and some vieille vignes French pinot noir.

keep safe and keeping eating......

don`t forget the budgie smugglers and the factor 50 for tomorrow,get some vitamin d onboard before it starts snowing!

The veg box is arriving tomorrow. You know lock-down is getting to you when this is the most exciting day of the week.

The veg box is arriving tomorrow. You know lock-down is getting to you when this is the most exciting day of the week.

Decent forecast coming up tomorrow so go and get that barbecue fired up and tip that veg box onto the griddle and cover it in a bit of virgin olive oil.......job done.

duck breast on a skewer just to keep the dinner balanced.

The rate this covid crisis is going on we will be talking about turkey and all the trimmings soon...........Happy covid!

Decent forecast coming up tomorrow so go and get that barbecue fired up and tip that veg box onto the griddle and cover it in a bit of virgin olive oil.......job done.

duck breast on a skewer just to keep the dinner balanced.

The rate this covid crisis is going on we will be talking about turkey and all the trimmings soon...........Happy covid!
Feliz covidad!

I'm brewing up a chicken soup with the leftovers from the roast chicken the other night. Hopefully it turns out better than the oily water that it looks like in the slow cooker right now!

I'm brewing up a chicken soup with the leftovers from the roast chicken the other night. Hopefully it turns out better than the oily water that it looks like in the slow cooker right now!

The key to good soup is stock,homemade or if none available use stock cubes to give depth..............otherwise it could taste like hot
piss.
could also add a potato as a thickening agent

Last edited:
We just ordered pizza and have got a slightly ludicrous result. The website says that you get another pizza of equal or lesser value for free, so we each picked two (one bought, one free X2), right? Nope. They double everything regardless, so EIGHT pizzas just turned up for the two of us :lol: might not need to post on here for a while...

And you'd approve of the wine, Devon. Finca Manzanos limited edition. Smoothest rioja I've ever tasted.
I will look out for that as I am partial to Rioja................enjoy.
2 very decent wines here,one from Tescos the other Majestic,very good value and quality drinking.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=vina del cura gran reserva
sometimes available 25% off,oaked for 2 years.

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/finca-carelio-tempranillo-14553

Last edited:
Tonight there was a menu change due to the sun being out all day but the wind was strong and the parilla was cancelled.

Leftovers was to the forefront again and it all started with the ever reliable cheese on toast with chillies which delivered a long bout of coughing.......felt like onset 19 in the back of my throat..

Then barbecue spuds chopped in half and browned under the grill....don`t waste anything,recession looking like it`s already here....(nettle soup pending,bags of iron and free in the back field)

Lastly more of the tuna rice concoction......avec legumes.
Lastly strawberries with brandy.
2 Leffe blonde plus small glass of shiraz.

Enjoy your dinners.