Coronavirus | Page 214 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

I see Debenhams in the Bullring is closing down for good, due to their Landlord not agreeing to reduce rates.

Always amazes me that landlords would rather have empty space than help a business out.

That Debenhams is HUGE too. 4 floors of huge space. They will find it difficult to find anyone else to take that after Debenhams have gone, especially in the current climate.

I see Debenhams in the Bullring is closing down for good, due to their Landlord not agreeing to reduce rates.

Always amazes me that landlords would rather have empty space than help a business out.

That Debenhams is HUGE too. 4 floors of huge space. They will find it difficult to find anyone else to take that after Debenhams have gone, especially in the current climate.

Madness isn't it? Will put this in the high-street debate thread also.

It was fine mate, as it was on subject, but also thought it worthy of the high street thread, one I fear might become busier and busier over the next 6 odd months.

Interesting Scotland are going to stay in lockdown, as they don't see enough positive signs, but England at least, might scrap the 'stay at home' and try to ease restrictions.

Northern Ireland have already said they might do things at a different pace to the rest.

Hmmmm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52568698

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said the government's "stay at home" message - which it has pushed since the lockdown began on 23 March - is "on the way out".

Public Health England said it was "reviewing all communications materials in anticipation of moving to the next phase of the government campaign".

But despite some tweaks from Monday, our political editor says the lockdown will "largely stay in place".

Posted in the football back thread but thought worthy for the link in here as well.

This one is interesting. It backs up what one expert said the other day. You can't keep saying you are 'following the science' as there is no 'the science', there are loads of different opinions and interpretations of scientific facts, and a lot of science based on supposition not fact.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52543692

I don't think I'm taking this off topic, (we have the virus thread in off topic for most of the talk) because this is looking at whether the healthy should have their restrictions lifted because

For the non-vulnerable population, coronavirus carries no more risk than a "nasty flu", says Prof Mark Woolhouse, an expert in infectious disease who led the research.

Under 44 years of age, over 300 have died. Many with underlying issues, but some not and that is the problem. Do we put life/industry/in this thread football totally on hold for a low risk? Do we for heart attacks (when the player died on the pitch, football wasn't stopped) or flu? But also, as this report says, some haven't died but have been very ill.

They finish: It is, he says, all about getting the balance of risk right ...

And THAT is the job I would not like. If players came down with the virus, with all due respect, so what? Many of us have had it, many more will have it. It isn't pleasant, but when I had real flu 10 odd years ago, that was far worse. BUT if a player then becomes seriously ill, it isn't so what anymore is it? And Paul McGrath forbid, if one died....

But as said, the balance of risk, you could die of other things, air pollution for example is killing 4.5m a year (and no one has been taking that seriously enough) so how long do things get put on hold? Lives will be lost if we end up with a ruined economy for sure.

Sorry, got no answers, just questions!

A Welsh minister has warned the media against their reporting of lockdown easing and the reports today that are sending mixed messages when nothing has been said. This is only emphasised by the stance Scotland are taking (fair play and exactly right in my humble)
Exactly!.
Certain sections of the media are and have been an utter disgrace and have deaths on their grubby hands with their sensationalism and misreporting. Show some fcuking responsibility you idiots.

All very confusing. Sweden didn't really lockdown at all and they've faired way better than here.
Maybe they are just healthier

649 died yesterday , 700 plus the day before. I don't see the justification for relaxing restrictions at the moment , I really don't.

Economic disaster leading to more lives lost?

Depression increasing, suicidal thoughts increasing, we know what follows.

Other mental health issues.

Abuse at home has caused major problems according to some reports.

Giving people more time outdoors as summer is coming (it will only be a slight easing and you know how much it means to health, mental health, morale, to get out and exercise)

Hospital deaths are down now are they not? The figures are still woeful because of the diabolical lack of help care homes got/are getting (not sure which, probably both) and that isn't a reason to keep fit people indoors who are not in / near care homes?

The fact the NHS hasn't been overrun and has capacity.

Not saying all those reasons are right, valid, etc but they are reasons.

649 died yesterday , 700 plus the day before. I don't see the justification for relaxing restrictions at the moment , I really don't.
And announcing plans to ease the lockdown ahead of a bank holiday, when the weather will be glorious (by all accounts it will get much colder from Sunday) is a recipe for disaster.

How many will think that if it's ok to go out en masse on Monday, what harm can there be in going out on Friday or Saturday. Absolutely ridiculous of the government to give anyone a heads up about what they are likely to say on Sunday evening.

The assessment is every three weeks. Next one is Thursday. Surely at the very latest, they could then communicate at the Friday briefing, or indeed, have a news conference on the Friday morning, with the chief clown outside 10 Downing Street.

I still think they are split between track, trace, test and the herd theory, so they haven't locked us down fully because they believe a good % need to catch this.

Mrs M has for a while now said the government will ease lockdown due to pressure from the media and public, not because it's the exact right time. I think she might be right . They will not like being unpopular after all.
The consistency of the deaths is worrying. What is better lockdown in one hit or keep moving in and out?. No idea, but I cannot get my head around seeing anything changing when that amount of people are still dying from Covid-19.

Last edited:
I think Exercise Cygnus is going to cause some serious shit for the government further down the line.

"A secret government report that said the UK was not prepared for a pandemic and forewarned of the Covid-19 crisis in care homes is being published by the Guardian.

The report is based on the findings of a government simulation of an influenza pandemic, codenamed Exercise Cygnus. It concluded starkly that Britain was not adequately prepared for a flu-like pandemic’s “extreme demands”.

The 2017 report is likely to raise questions over whether ministers ever implemented key recommendations pertaining to the care home sector."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...sters-warning-of-care-home-coronavirus-crisis