The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 202 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
CD,l accept the tactical mistakes of DEAN and his staff. But what he did last season was Roy of the Rovers with real fantasy football. He will have learned the hard way that this league is ruthless. Remember the season opener against little Bournemouth,it was a shock how quick,how ruthless,how cynical they were. As a fan,it made the championship look like Sunday morning stuff. Dean merits another year but he will surely have wised up and get the physical and tactical needs of playing in the toughest league in the world.

A year for saying that " we were defensively well organized " in a 4 nil defeat which could have been worse? I would not give him another game never mind a year !

Despite what many think on here , Deano is no fool , he will learn plenty from this season and reflect and understand what is needed.

I was surprised in the increase in the quality of the PL since the last time we were in it. Dare I say it surprised a few of us.

The only thing he has learned is how to talk bullshit in post match interviews !

Before we judge Dean Smith write down how many schoolboy errors our team has made and how many points it has cost us.

Not trying to defend his mistakes (whatever we can actually pin on him personally), but no manager can mitigate howlers made by players. By my reckoning there are several points that rest squarely with individual players which would have taken us out of the relegation zone.

I just don't know whether another manager, with this group of players, would have got more or less points (and we can never know the answer). Luckily for me, that is the owners conundrum to solve.

Blimey he has only been here 17 months. How much wiggle room do you think he has had ?
Football is a ruthless business especially the premier league. If I were making the decisions I'd have changed manager in December. I'd seen enough by then to see the lack of tactics, mistakes being repeated , lack of in game management. Not sure how much input Deano has into recruitment but that side of things clearly hasn't helped

If he wasn't one of our own he'd have been driven out of the club by now. This is the downside to having one of our own as a manager, they get too much wriggle room.

If we were at this point in a years time, I'd agree with you but not after 17 months with a promotion under his belt. Any manager that got us promoted within seven months would have been given a fair crack of the whip this season and whilst it's unravelled big time recently there was enough in performances before Christmas to keep most of the natives fairly happy and reasonably optimistic with regards to survival. If we'd played and lost heavily tonight, I think he'd probably have gone....so dont think he's had any more wriggle room than most of the others that have come and gone in the past decade tbh.

If we were at this point in a years time, I'd agree with you but not after 17 months with a promotion under his belt. Any manager that got us promoted within seven months would have been given a fair crack of the whip this season and whilst it's unravelled big time recently there was enough in performances before Christmas to keep most of the natives fairly happy and reasonably optimistic with regards to survival. If we'd played and lost heavily tonight, I think he'd probably have gone....so dont think he's had any more wriggle room than most of the others that have come and gone in the past decade tbh.

We would have won tonight btw. :grinning:

Think this is probably a fair summation. It all comes down to the owners perception of what they are told. Let's be frank about this, Eden's didn't mess around changing coaches at his NBA franchise if he thought it was required.

On the one hand we can say the players recruited are not up to it - Suso goes, on the other Smith and his staff are not up to it - they go. You can bet your house on the fact that Purslow won't be going anywhere.

The other options is that we survive and no-one goes accept the Villa and they go again :grinning:

Sorry to say, If it was up to me, Deano and Terry would have been shown the door in January. Decent man and yes they got us promoted. This earned them a chance to show what they could do. Lets face it, if we were 15th in the league, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

We have a net spend that exceeds almost any team in Europe over the last two years, (140 million) but we haven't bought in anything but below-average players and not one of them has shown any improvement. Grealish and McGinn will be gone next season, so that will at least balance the books and keep the FFP wolves away from the doors.

What rips me though is that in the most competitive league in the world, we defend like a drunken pub team. I can't believe that defending has not been made a priority. If so, what is Terry doing with them at Bodymoor?

If I was the owner, I'd find some isolated facility in a virus free part of the world and drill them non stop on defending corners and free kicks. More likely, they are sat around in their mansions playing Fifa 2020.

Sorry to say, If it was up to me, Deano and Terry would have been shown the door in January. Decent man and yes they got us promoted. This earned them a chance to show what they could do. Lets face it, if we were 15th in the league, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

People were having this conversation when we were in the realms of 15th, Smith just isn't a big enough name for some and we should apparently be top 10 by entitlement.

We have a net spend that exceeds almost any team in Europe over the last two years, (140 million) but we haven't bought in anything but below-average players and not one of them has shown any improvement. Grealish and McGinn will be gone next season, so that will at least balance the books and keep the FFP wolves away from the doors.

Irrelevant as it misses the point we had to replace half a squad that weren't good enough last year and few players settle in 12 months at new club/let alone new language/new country. Spend is irrelevant over the last two years - Smith has only only been in charge for 3 windows.

And these below-average players are the ones some decided should have us top ten.

Books are balanced on FFP, I've already given my thoughts that after January's dealings - given players naturally out of contract next summer - I don't believe we actually have to sell a single player to balance in first year back in the Champ...if that's actually what happens, as survival is still in our hands.

What rips me though is that in the most competitive league in the world, we defend like a drunken pub team. I can't believe that defending has not been made a priority. If so, what is Terry doing with them at Bodymoor?

Fair question, but DS has always been attack first, defend last - and as we know, we've been one of the harder hit on the VAR front. We can improve clearly, but again how many of our current crop of defence (you'd have to say Targett only and he's always been more attack minded as well) have PL experience?

It doesn't come over night and no amount of Terry talk prepares you for that half a second difference.

If I was the owner, I'd find some isolated facility in a virus free part of the world and drill them non stop on defending corners and free kicks. More likely, they are sat around in their mansions playing Fifa 2020.

If I was the owner I'd have been thrilled (all things considered) with survival by goal difference, rectifying the FFP problems and worst case, now having a core of players to take us forward who had experienced how tough the PL was, but got 12 months under their belts for us to take the Champ seriously instead of fluking it like we did last year.

Post game interviews make me laugh - and I occasionally cover them.

There's no way X manager says in front of a camera what he said in the dressing room, but fans feel it's their right to judge him right/wrong based on what was said publicly.

He doesn't seem to have learned as the season has gone on. We've gone from mediocre to bad to awful.
His post match comments have become illogical
What did Dean say after yesterday's unlucky and narrow 7-1 defeat at home to chelsea?
Full interview to follow.....

Status
Not open for further replies.