The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 201 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's another issue for me. If he says no we as club would absolutely ridiculed and a laughing stock.

We would ridicule another club.

Eh??? It happens all the time. Does anybody believe we didn't approach Rogers? We approached Moyes twice. We approached Benitez. For whatever reason they all said no. Poch would be no different. Why on earth would we be a laughing stock?

A bit of perspective. So we're a complete and utter disaster?

We've lost 5 matches on the trot. That is definitely a serious cause concern. 2 (Spurs and Man C) weren't that bad performances. 3 were pretty dire though, and that is certainly a cause for concern.

However, in January (just before this run of 5 matches) we had our best month of the season, in spite of playing 7 matches, significantly more than most other clubs.
Won 3: Burnley; Watford; Leicester (cup)
Drew 2: Leicester (cup); Brighton
Lost 2: Man C; Fulham (cup)

That is definitely a very good month. Not the awful disaster some make out. If we could do it then, we can do it again.

Me. If we could go out now and get Poch or somebody as good, for the club's sake I'd do it. DS hasn't yet done enough to show he's the manager for the future, and Poch might well sort things out quickly enough to improve our chances of staying up.

But the reality is that the coronavirus situation makes change of manager at this point in time unlikely (although not impossible) and in some senses unnecessary. As to whether DS is in charge next season I'll leave that to the owners, who have probably a more informed view than most of us as well as huge vested interests (it's their money which is being spent). Whatever, we need some quality next season in critical positions.

Eh??? It happens all the time. Does anybody believe we didn't approach Rogers? We approached Moyes twice. We approached Benitez. For whatever reason they all said no. Poch would be no different. Why on earth would we be a laughing stock?

If we approached those managers you mention then it was for a permanent job.

Approaching Poch, who is widely tipped for a TOP job anywhere in europe, in this manner for a 10 game shit or bust approach is entirely different some might say desperate and crass and quite frankly as i said yesterday, deluded .

You can't tell me that if blues were fighting EFL relegation and went for a manager that we consider beyond their current status then we wouldn't ridicule. Nah. Not having that at all.

Face facts . Poch is beyond us currently. I don't take pleasure in that , I don't like it. I'm not accepting mediocrity either . In my opinion I'm just being realistic based on where we are and on 40 years of watching living and breathing football .

Yep. And that is an entirely different scenario than the 10 game shit or bust offer.

I think it's only you talking about a shit or bust offer. Offer him a 2.5 or 3.5 year contract, and throw in a get-out clause so if things don't work out he can walk away if he wishes. Talk to him about next year's plans, and beyond, and so he can see if there's a project in there he's attracted to. Nothing to lose for anybody.

Only thing is the coronacrisis makes things far less clear cut. So probably killed any chance of a quick change.

I think it's only you talking about a shit or bust offer. Offer him a 2.5 or 3.5 year contract, and throw in a get-out clause so if things don't work out he can walk away if he wishes. Talk to him about next year's plans, and beyond, and so he can see if there's a project in there he's attracted to. Nothing to lose for anybody.

Only thing is the coronacrisis makes things far less clear cut. So probably killed any chance of a quick change.

I will answer this as if the season wasn't suspended.....
How can we possibly sell him a project because we don't know what division we will be in.

And in any case my view remains the same whether it is a longer term offer, a short term survival offer , in a corona or no corona affected season. He is out of our reach . End of.

They won't cancel the league and if they do you think they'd give teams out the top 6 any leeway, they'll just freeze the league and carry it on as they see fit.

Last edited:
Dean Smith, hanging by a thread, saved by a pandemic!

Don’t worry he’ll be working his magic with the team during the suspension showing videos of his masterclasses with 11 year olds and explaining the high press and transitions etc like he’s Pep fucking Guardiola 🙄

The owners will think let’s give him more time since he improves with every match we don’t play, and he’ll start the next season only to repeat the same naive mistakes of trying to play like Liverpool without their players, and we’ll be circling the drain of the bottom 3 by December having got fuck all points from his suicidal away from home policy.

It’s so predictable 😄

Dean Smith, hanging by a thread, saved by a pandemic!

Don’t worry he’ll be working his magic with the team during the suspension showing videos of his masterclasses with 11 year olds and explaining the high press and transitions etc like he’s Pep fucking Guardiola 🙄

The owners will think let’s give him more time since he improves with every match we don’t play, and he’ll start the next season only to repeat the same naive mistakes of trying to play like Liverpool without their players, and we’ll be circling the drain of the bottom 3 by December having got fuck all points from his suicidal away from home policy.

It’s so predictable 😄
CD,l accept the tactical mistakes of DEAN and his staff. But what he did last season was Roy of the Rovers with real fantasy football. He will have learned the hard way that this league is ruthless. Remember the season opener against little Bournemouth,it was a shock how quick,how ruthless,how cynical they were. As a fan,it made the championship look like Sunday morning stuff. Dean merits another year but he will surely have wised up and get the physical and tactical needs of playing in the toughest league in the world.

CD,l accept the tactical mistakes of DEAN and his staff. But what he did last season was Roy of the Rovers with real fantasy football. He will have learned the hard way that this league is ruthless. Remember the season opener against little Bournemouth,it was a shock how quick,how ruthless,how cynical they were. As a fan,it made the championship look like Sunday morning stuff. Dean merits another year but he will surely have wised up and get the physical and tactical needs of playing in the toughest league in the world.

I understand your point of view. However what I see is a coach too far out of his depth, playing naive football, stubbornly refusing to adapt his approach, unable to motivate players, and against Leicester quite clearly losing the respect of the senior players who began to ignore him.

He’s totally out of his depth and it’s just a matter of how long now we have to suffer this incompetence for.

Despite what many think on here , Deano is no fool , he will learn plenty from this season and reflect and understand what is needed.

I was surprised in the increase in the quality of the PL since the last time we were in it. Dare I say it surprised a few of us.

The only person really surprised is Deano, who can’t believe that his naive Brentford tactics wouldnt work in the PL without having a squad like Citeh or Plops to back it up.

He may not be a fool but he sure ain’t clever enough to learn from repeating the same mistake week after week.

Opposition managers have comprehensively sussed him out and that’s why their teams barely need to break sweat to brush us aside, especially away from home where his approach is frankly childish and pathetic.

And now his own players have sniffed him out as a lightweight with no new ideas, a stubborn refusal to adapt even when they’ve asked him to, and so is not worth listening to.

When he eventually gets fired from AV, does anyone seriously think he’ll get another job in the English top flight (sit down lgdavfc!)?

Not a fucking chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.