Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Lose

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Win on Penalties

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Lose on Penalties

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would say that Dele does look slow at times and is another who has had his hamstring challenges. Perhaps the case that he doesn't have the confidence to go at full throttle especially with so many games coming thick and fast. I don't think he's slow naturally though, but not lightning either. What Dele is though is a long distance runner. When others are tiring deep into the second half he can look quicker against tireder legs than his own.

Afraid these say it better than I could; all credit Alli:

Gary Lineker has said to BT Sport that Tottenham Hotspur’s Dele Alli has defended his side’s squad like manager Jose Mourinho should in public.

Alli spoke well after Tottenham’s 3-0 defeat to RB Leipzig in the Champions League last night.

The England international was clearly dejected after the defeat, but he suggested that Spurs couldn’t use injuries as an excuse and insisted that they still had quality throughout their squad.

“We can’t use injuries as an excuse, we still have quality on the pitch,” Alli said on BT Sport’s live Champions League coverage.

“We are missing some good players, but when that happens, this is Tottenham you have to step up. We have to apologise to the fans, they have traveled all this way and to go out like that is gutting.”

The comments struck a different chord to Mourinho, who has been very negative about Tottenham’s Champions League chances.

And Lineker said: “I thought he spoke very candidly, honestly and wisely. There was a point that he made that even if we have injuries we have quality. He’s saying the things that perhaps Mourinho hasn’t.”

Rio Ferdinand also agree with the former Spurs striker, who was impressed with Alli’s words.

“He is saying the things that Spurs fans want to hear from their manager,” Ferdinand added.

“He needs to build them up and give them confidence. Talking about going to a gun fight without bullets, what does that do to the confidence of Dele and Moura and the attacking players who want to have an arm round their shoulders?

“But that hasn’t been forthcoming from Jose and you can see that in the performance today.”
If u noticed, once players start to talk football instead of focusing on playing football, the performance of that player (unless he is the designated captain who must talk to media). I noticed that when Dier was talking a lot to media 2 years odd back. When Rose started to be real vocal 3 odd years back and now Alli

He isn't slow once he gets going but he isn't a natural ball dribbler which doesn't help.
He has a nasty pre-occupation with the nutmeg and always trying it. The thing is in the small number of times it was successful, it rarely allowed him to seriously get away from that opponent but he seemed satisfied that the nutmeg is an end in itself.

I would say that Dele does look slow at times and is another who has had his hamstring challenges. Perhaps the case that he doesn't have the confidence to go at full throttle especially with so many games coming thick and fast. I don't think he's slow naturally though, but not lightning either. What Dele is though is a long distance runner. When others are tiring deep into the second half he can look quicker against tireder legs than his own.
It's like Eriksen. They would clock the highest mileage in a game and u cant call them lazy based on that but if u noticed, they r jogging around and hardly fast enough to catch an opponent to put a serious tackle in or harrass him when defending or sprint away when attacking. What is the point in that? Look at how Pool players do short sprint to be in the face of the opponent.

If u noticed, once players start to talk football instead of focusing on playing football, the performance of that player (unless he is the designated captain who must talk to media). I noticed that when Dier was talking a lot to media 2 years odd back. When Rose started to be real vocal 3 odd years back and now Alli

Dele's interviews have been fantastic. There is no other player I would rather have right now facing the media. The introspection piece is particularly strong with Dele and he's never making excuses. Most importantly, he's not creating any follow-up nonsense by saying the wrong thing like others have.

Dele's interviews have been fantastic. There is no other player I would rather have right now facing the media. The introspection piece is particularly strong with Dele and he's never making excuses. Most importantly, he's not creating any follow-up nonsense by saying the wrong thing like others have.

I actually like him more now than I ever have. He is growing up.

When a player can't play efficiently, he starts to talk hoping his words will take the focus off his poor performances on the field.
He isn't a top level player.
A championship level player at most.
We should get rid of those kind of players as soon as possible if we really want to improve.
We need players who play efficiently and not players who just run around the field.

When a player can't play efficiently, he starts to talk hoping his words will take the focus off his poor performances on the field.
He isn't a top level player.
A championship level player at most.
We should get rid of those kind of players as soon as possible if we really want to improve.
We need players who play efficiently and not players who just run around the field.

I will take effectiveness over efficiency any day of the week. Dele's stats show he is effective. He's just stuck with a team that is sub optimal at the moment.

It's like Eriksen. They would clock the highest mileage in a game and u cant call them lazy based on that but if u noticed, they r jogging around and hardly fast enough to catch an opponent to put a serious tackle in or harrass him when defending or sprint away when attacking. What is the point in that? Look at how Pool players do short sprint to be in the face of the opponent.

Dele had excellent sprint frequency stats when I checked .

I will take effectiveness over efficiency any day of the week. Dele's stats show he is effective. He's just stuck with a team that is sub optimal at the moment.

According to what I can see on the field, he is almost useless.
Our worst player in most games last two seasons.

According to what I can see on the field, he is almost useless.
Our worst player in most games last two seasons.

To be fair, the whole team has been in decline since November 2018 when Pochettino went into moron mode.

When Kane, Son and Lo Celso are all fit to play alongside him, we will see whether Dele still has what is needed. Whilst it doesn't excuse his lack lustre performances, he seems pretty disillusioned by the mediocrity he's surrounded with.

Re tiredness of our players (actual or perceived) I wonder how many games our 'core' have played say in comparism to Wolves, Sheffield Utd, Leicester etc. I am sure there is probably an easy way to find out, but it just seems that there players don't seem so tired and listless as ours.....or at least most of ours.

Extremely happy I wasn't able to watch this.

But hey my wife is dragging me to Cher concert tonight...guess I will suffer some.

Sounds about standard for the course though...

Hey positive note - We have no right being in ANY cup...we need to apply all focus and energy to the league. So I am actually ok with us being out.

My deepest sympathy USASpurs.

I'd rather scoop my eyeballs out with a teaspoon than go to a Cher concert.

I'm half glad we're out of comps also. Wouldn't mind if we got relegated either. That way we could tip out all the players, and start afresh, and maybe wins some matches.

When Kane, Son and Lo Celso are all fit to play alongside him, we will see whether Dele still has what is needed. Whilst it doesn't excuse his lack lustre performances, he seems pretty disillusioned by the mediocrity he's surrounded with.

Like begets like.