Clive Interview | Page 5 | Vital Football

Clive Interview

Might be wrong, but not many clubs would have called a meeting between CEO and what is a small number of effected fans (<2%)

I have to say Liam is fair and honest and will tell you straight and he certainly has the best interests of the club at heart. In the meetings I have attended Liam ,Alan and Jake were very warm and welcoming to all. I didn't agree with everything they said but hopefully in the near future the playing field can be levelled and from my point of view I realised it would be a bit silly to deny myself something which has been a huge part of my life for so long.

Well speaking as a 62 year old season ticket holder who gets a concession,I wouldn't have a problem if this proposed policy was brought in.I read your post as this proposal to start from the start of the season 21-22. A bit of notice,I think would be helpful in getting everyone behind this. This issue with the concessionary rate at 60 has been an anomoly for some time and should have been dealt with many years ago.

This is the most sensible suggestion that ends any 2 tier policies between fans.
Give fans a seasons notice (next season) then put the qualifying age for concessions to 65. Theres no arguments then everybody will be on a level playing field.

I think it depends on your point of view and circumstances. Do you go to a Club to watch the football, or have a more symbiotic investment where you feel part of the Club. If the former, you expect to get payback for your cash, if the latter, you’d gladly pay every penny (and maybe more). Each to their own. I fall in to the latter and would never seek to get a ‘discount’. Maybe I’m a mug! But either viewpoint is valid, and I welcome anybody that has the best interest of the Club at heart and is willing to invest some of their time and cash. It’s easier for some than others.

You lost me a bit on symbiotic! but i wasn't saying people should demand discounts etc, but just suggesting our club could maybe offer some form of thank yous to the most loyal fans. I don't put myself in such a category. I only go to around half our games on average. I can't afford more and living where I do, even home games are a big expense and a long day out often 12 hrs plus.
I do have friends who rarely miss matches and there must be quite a lot who, like clanford,,have had season tickets for many years.
Maybe sometimes these lifelong fans could get recognised by the club in some way?

Oh and I would suggest an Ashtons Stand at some point too. Is there any other family with more combined years of supporting Lincoln than Chris and his parents?

Maybe sometimes these lifelong fans could get recognised by the club in some way?

Oh and I would suggest an Ashtons Stand at some point too. Is there any other family with more combined years of supporting Lincoln than Chris and his parents?

I agree with you about the Ashtons. We may take the micky out of Chris a bit but the dedication to the club that the family have shown towards the club over many, many years is what clubs like ours are all about.
I remember Doreen running that little tea hut at the back of the West Bank terrace in the 70s and also remember John Reames actually banning her from the ground, cant remember what it was for, think she may have said something about him.
All in all a really nice family and I'm sure if they havnt been already, one day the club will recognise the amount of work one family have contributed, mainly voluntarily to the Lincoln City cause.

I agree with you about the Ashtons. We may take the micky out of Chris a bit but the dedication to the club that the family have shown towards the club over many, many years is what clubs like ours are all about.
I remember Doreen running that little tea hut at the back of the West Bank terrace in the 70s and also remember John Reames actually banning her from the ground, cant remember what it was for, think she may have said something about him.
All in all a really nice family and I'm sure if they havnt been already, one day the club will recognise the amount of work one family have contributed, mainly voluntarily to the Lincoln City cause.
I'm still traumatised from a Doreen dressing down for opening a tin of beer on the coach en route to Enfield in The FA Trophy during our 1980's sojourn in the Conference. It wasn't a designated match for the purposes of alcohol but she was having none of it :grinning:

His dad had only missed a handful of games since the 1930's!!!?? Between them they must have watched a hell of a lot of City matches!!!

I'm still traumatised from a Doreen dressing down for opening a tin of beer on the coach en route to Enfield in The FA Trophy during our 1980's sojourn in the Conference. It wasn't a designated match for the purposes of alcohol but she was having none of it :grinning:

Join the club. She gave me a telling off on the supporters coach after the match at Gillingham in 1990. We only drew and I just happened to say well that's the play-offs gone and she heard me as she came down to the back of the bus. Wow she gave me a right telling off I can tell you for being negative. In fact when she sees me she still talks about it even now 30 years later! :lol:

I was talking with George, Doreen and Chris a few months back in the summer when I saw them in town and George was telling me he went to his first match I think he said in 1934. Absolutely startling when you think it was only 50 years after the club had formed!

Absolute legends and still going to the home matches!

Last edited:
Reading the last few threads just serves to remind me of how wonderful it is to follow lower league football, its that sense of belonging, I've never met the Ashtons but know all about them. I still feel part of an exclusive tight-knit bunch who chose not to follow the sheep and watch Premier league footy where your just a number. Our gates have more than doubled but I still feel that I'm part of an exclusive close"family" of imps partaking of their hobby (cue six finger jokes from the delusionals) Whether or not we grace the higher divisions in the years to come, I hope we never lose that close knit feeling. I pity Liverpool and man urd etc supporters, it's something I can't imagine they'll ever feel.

I want to renew my season ticket but although I support Clive the board the manager and the team I wholeheartedly disagree with the policy of having a two tier pricing structure for 60 year olds next season and for the next 5 seasons because I am affected by this. I am happy to pay the full price for a season ticket as long as everyone aged 60 to 65 is on the same playing field paying the same price or that ALL 60 year olds are given the concessionary rate.
Unfortunately if the club implement this change of policy I, on moral grounds will be ending my 52 year association with the club and I will not be renewing my ticket and will not be attending games.

Is that the general consensus amongst the lads or just your opinion mate? Excuse my ignorance but is it down to purely numbers £££’s or the principal?

So did I, near where the players come out
I was 1 of a team of 4 who used to distribute the food & drink from the main canteen to all the individual tea huts positioned around the ground. Doreen used to serve in one of those huts before being promoted to the main canteen. Best Saturday job in the world - had the freedom of the ground and got to see all home matches for nothing!

I also joined the away supporters club which was organised by Chris Ashton and made a concerted effort to see every single match of one particular season regardless where or when the games were. Happy days!

Naturally players & managers grab the headlines, but people like the Ashtons are the true heart of the club. If there was a serious proposal to recognise their life-long commitment in some way, it would certainly get my vote.

Think George's grandparents had something to do with the formation of the club.
Believe he has a copy of the deeds to the ground.

Naturally players & managers grab the headlines, but people like the Ashtons are the true heart of the club. If there was a serious proposal to recognise their life-long commitment in some way, it would certainly get my vote.

Absolutely definitely.
When we consider our successes of the last few years, it's the Ashtons that remind me that they've watched LCFC much longer than I have, and when I consider some of the dross I've seen, they've seen more... and it's the successes that I'm pleased for the Ashtons more than most.

There are many of us that have watched for 30, 40 or 50 years, but when you consider they've been to almost all games home and away whilst continuing to volunteer in organising away travel etc, it's that which hits it home. By that time, in the dross times, most will have given up or wouldn't be arsed to turn up to a game. When we talk about loyalty, they're the standouts.

Bearing in mind the canteen-running etc, I'm almost surprised that we haven't got one called "Ashton's".

Unfortunately many naming ceremonies of things are given when people die, in rememberence, but it would be nice if, for a change, the recipients are still alive to be honoured in such a way?

Absolutely definitely.
When we consider our successes of the last few years, it's the Ashtons that remind me that they've watched LCFC much longer than I have, and when I consider some of the dross I've seen, they've seen more... and it's the successes that I'm pleased for the Ashtons more than most.

There are many of us that have watched for 30, 40 or 50 years, but when you consider they've been to almost all games home and away whilst continuing to volunteer in organising away travel etc, it's that which hits it home. By that time, in the dross times, most will have given up or wouldn't be arsed to turn up to a game. When we talk about loyalty, they're the standouts.

Bearing in mind the canteen-running etc, I'm almost surprised that we haven't got one called "Ashton's".

Unfortunately many naming ceremonies of things are given when people die, in rememberence, but it would be nice if, for a change, the recipients are still alive to be honoured in such a way?
Jimmy Anderson has the Pavilion end at Old Trafford named after him and he's still playing let alone alive!:grinning: Mind you he normally bowls from the opposite Statham end.

Last edited:
Is that the general consensus amongst the lads or just your opinion mate? Excuse my ignorance but is it down to purely numbers £££’s or the principal?

It was the principle mate.
It was absolutely nothing to do with money.
And others felt the same.
I just wanted everyone on a level playing field.
Having spoken to Liam Scully in meetings over the past couple of weeks believe me the club needs every penny it can get.
I now realise to have 60 to 65 year old paying 11 quid or so a match is ridiculous.
I know the club have said they are going to honour anyone who is receiving concessions aged between 60 and 65 but that policy needs to change.
If we want our club to be competitive in this league that group of people need to be told that they can have the concession for next season (20/21) but as from the 21/22 season you only qualify for concessionary rate when you reach 65 that gives all that group a whole season to get used to the change in policy. Liam has said that he will take this to the board so we will wait and see.

The other thing is that away fans who are probably not receiving concessionary rate in their own ground until 65 can come here and get in our ground at concessionary rate aged 60 and that is also costing the club thousands of pounds in lost revenue. So putting our concessionary rate up to 65 will not only put everyone on a level playing field the club will also benefit by being able charge away fans full rate up to the age of 65 which over the season will put thousands of extra pounds into our football clubs coffers.

I was 1 of a team of 4 who used to distribute the food & drink from the main canteen to all the individual tea huts positioned around the ground. Doreen used to serve in one of those huts before being promoted to the main canteen. Best Saturday job in the world - had the freedom of the ground and got to see all home matches for nothing!

I also joined the away supporters club which was organised by Chris Ashton and made a concerted effort to see every single match of one particular season regardless where or when the games were. Happy days!

In 1981 I worked at the Echo on a YTS with a gent call Geoff Parkinson, he used to help run the bingo. The tea hut I was in was at the top of where the university stand is now, when the stand behind the goal (Echo?) was wooden, you could stand in front of the new Echo stand then.