Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm | Page 18 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm

I used to celebrate Villa goals. I used to be gutted when the opposition scored. Now I watch matches in an expectation that our goals don't matter, our leads are just temporary, while their goals are inevitable. Normal emotions are reserved for only the last two minutes when my mind says it still counts. And with 50 seconds to go, we had our point. The ball was in Reina's hands, and for the first time in the whole game, I thought we had that point. Then I stormed out in agony. How did we do that, how did we even let the ball in our half. What makes it worse is if we had kept Samata on, Reina's kick out would definitely have been flicked on by him and Grealish would have scored from 25 yards in the top corner. Or maybe Reina could have booted it off at the corner flag and we get the draw. Or maybe this, or maybe that, but not THAT. Cruel does not come in to it.

And all you have said is totally and utterly meaningless I'm afraid. Because we lost . And the above can happen week in and week out but it means we go down.
Plucky losers go down. I said this first match of the season ironically against Spuds. BBC sport, sky can pat us on the head, patronise us, say there there all they like . That today is why I'm losing hope rapidly.

Oh and Engels. Please dont wear a villa shirt again . That was as bad as anything I have seen for a long while.

I can take losing to a better/top side as long as we looked like we ourselves could have won the game with good attacking football. I also realize that no matter how good our attack is if our defence is the way it is, we are going back to the championship. Personally, I do not see us staying up as we do not play good enough attacking football nor is our defence good enough to keep us up. We have the dumbest defenders I have ever seen in Mings and now Engles.

I’m sorry lads but blaming Smith for that loss is confirmation bias.

Decision making and atrocious concentration cost us the game.

If we can go at other teams like we did today and get at the we might actually have a chance.

There is only a small number of things Smith can do to assist with cutting out the errors.

Smith has been at fault for a lot of things and a lot of recent games but not today.

If we can go at other teams like we did today and get at the we might actually have a chance.

There is only a small number of things Smith can do to assist with cutting out the errors.

Smith has been at fault for a lot of things and a lot of recent games but not today.

Their game plan was obvious though and he did nothing to stop it. They were blatantly letting us forward in order to hit us in behind with Son and co. Although it was a mistake that is where their winner came from and they got into those positions time and again. With better tactics we could have beaten them by a couple of goals today. Saying it was good enough could be classed as pro Smith confirmation bias.

How about isolating what looks like a forward who could be a real threat all game instead of in bursts. Smith is to blame for that.
He keeps doing it. Did it with Wesley and Samagoal will soon have his head dropping being surrounded by 4 defenders and running up blind alleys with no support.

I used to celebrate Villa goals. I used to be gutted when the opposition scored. Now I watch matches in an expectation that our goals don't matter, our leads are just temporary, while their goals are inevitable. Normal emotions are reserved for only the last two minutes when my mind says it still counts. And with 50 seconds to go, we had our point. The ball was in Reina's hands, and for the first time in the whole game, I thought we had that point. Then I stormed out in agony. How did we do that, how did we even let the ball in our half. What makes it worse is if we had kept Samata on, Reina's kick out would definitely have been flicked on by him and Grealish would have scored from 25 yards in the top corner. Or maybe Reina could have booted it off at the corner flag and we get the draw. Or maybe this, or maybe that, but not THAT. Cruel does not come in to it.
Engels was awful in that moment. 3 stupid goals given away. The whole defence is championship level and surely thats where we are heading.

I’m certainly blaming Smith for starting Drinkwater, or isn’t that his fault either.

I did not celebrate any of our goals as I know how good the team is at breaking our hearts at the end in injury time. When we started missing those chances in the first half I had my deja vu moment. Makes it easier to take such defeats ! I am already sure we are going down so I am prepared to see us play great championship teams like Sheff Weds, Hull etc..

How about isolating what looks like a forward who could be a real threat all game instead of in bursts. Smith is to blame for that.
He keeps doing it. Did it with Wesley and Samagoal will soon have his head dropping being surrounded by 4 defenders and running up blind alleys with no support.

I thought we looked great going forward to be honest. We were ripping them apart first half and a fair bit of the second. Samatta looks good and I too would pair him with another striker but he didn't look isolated today.

Smith's set up blew it overall IMO.

Engels is an atrocious player, started well here but it's regression to the mean at this stage and that mean level is not premier league standard.

Drinkwater is an abortion of a signing, provides no protection and is slow on the ball.

Hause is a liability as well, positioning is poor and makes bad decisions on the ball.

I cannot fathom why Nakamba didn't start, our best DM.

Targett is as weak as piss and at up to £17m diabolical 'value'.

Grealish played well, Samatta looks a really decent forward, pretty much understanding striking 101, holding the ball up well, good in the air, good one touch play and makes good runs, I cannot understand why he was subbed off for Baston who looked as useful as a chocolate tea cup when he came on and inadvertently set up a great chance for them with a terrible clearance in his own box.

Luiz was decent but is tactically suspect, El Ghazi decent and Reina for me was our MOTM, a string of vital saves and let down by the utter shite ahead of him in defence.
Worst defence in the PL. There are about three who are PL level out there. Stating ghe obvious but without Jack we would be deservedly bottom.

I thought we looked great going forward to be honest. We were ripping them apart first half and a fair bit of the second. Samatta looks good and I too would pair him with another striker but he didn't look isolated today.

How many real clear cut chances did we create for him ?.
Compare that with how many Son had and that's what I mean .

So who takes training? who is supposed to coach the mistakes out of players? who's responsibility is it to have a game plan that works? Could of sworn it was Dean Smith.

The foundation of any successful team is a good defence. Ours is terrible, has been terrible and will continue to be terrible. Doesn’t really matter how good your goalkeeper is.....