Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United

Scully made him look silly near the end, going right through him.

Once he got over his initial giddiness at making his debut, there were some excellent signs, with some deft flicks and intelligent passes, one of which gave John Jules the chance near the end.

Wasn't at all fazed by the beasts and monsters of Rotherham.

Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Agreed, Scully looks like a cracking prospect and a nice lad to boot. See him up close, he looks about 14!

Yes agreed.
Perhaps Bostwick coming back (soon?) will at least fill one experienced alot.
Keeper is a little more of a worry Vickers can be (and has been) excellent at times. Is he repeated injuries now causing a big problem with his kicking though?
If so, that's not a sustainable situation sadly, and another experienced goalie will then be needed.
The trouble is Bozzy will probably replace Bolger who has done okay in our recent slump, whereas Shackell (who will be leaving at the end of the season thankfully) will keep his place, despite head in hands distribution.

Well a keeper was brought in. We've no idea how good or otherwise he is. Will he get his chance? Who knows.

Vickers did a good save (his one strong point) but the kicking out has become such a major problem.
after doing some researching, the keeper we have brought in was going to be released anyway as hull are in the mindset of him not being good enough, so has our goalkeeping coach done him a favour by bringing him to us for the remainder of the season, just because he knows him ?
therefore yes he can sit on the bench but for his personal career doing him no favours as he should be playing somewhere to get noticed !
the saving grace is that for a GK position at any time we can get an emergency loan in should vickers get injured and not because his performances are getting below par

r.e. the playing out, I think it's a fine line between sticking to your guns and and changing a philosophy just because some don't quite fit what you're trying to do or aren't able to do so as good as needed. For me, that compromises the development of rest of the team/squad at a point where we're starting to sow the seeds for next season - and we've got a few likely to be here next season now.

IMO, keep trying to play the way we are and stick to what MA is wanting. Players should be able to know when you can and can't try and play a ball through the thirds or not try risky ball two minutes into the second half against the table toppers. MA isn't asking for an extreme in style. It's the decision making at times that is the issue.

I agree with the comment on Vickers, he isn’t good enough with his feet and too apprehensive. If he is planning to go short just do it early. Not hesitate, let the opposition set up and go short anyway.

I think 🍎 will have a new keeper in mind for the summer.
have to agree with vickers not being good enough with his feet when playing out, and would like to add to that.
whenever we see a goalkeeping clip or clips it will always be a shot stopping or reaction session for about 3/4hr etc before they go over with the team.
now when a new manager comes in and puts his philosophy to his staff, in this case we want to play out from the back, it is part of the goalkeeping structure to give the goalkeeper and back 4 sessions dealing with the back pass and playing out under pressure.
firstly does the manager have confidence in the gk coach to deliver these sessions and secondly are the players capable of doing?
as like any job, practice make preferred not perfect, in other words if your only always doing shot stopping sessions that is all you will improve on ?
dealing with crosses, playing out, 1 v 1's, threw balls etc
The Balance between preparing for Saturday's game and improving on the Gk's weaknesses is crucial to the gk and josh is young enough just like smith to both massively improve if they are given the ingredients OIMO

whenever we see a goalkeeping clips it will always be a shot stopping or reaction session
we want to play out from the back, it should be part of the goalkeeping structure to give the goalkeeper and back 4 sessions dealing with the back pass and playing out under pressure.
if your only always doing shot stopping sessions that is all you will improve on ?
dealing with crosses, playing out, 1 v 1's, threw balls etc

Not quite sure I follow.

Just because I have not seen something on twitter does not mean it does not happen.

I reckon Vickers goes to sleep every night. I reckon he practices playing out from the back every training session.

Although I have no video evidence of either.

Not quite sure I follow.

Just because I have not seen something on twitter does not mean it does not happen.

I reckon Vickers goes to sleep every night. I reckon he practices playing out from the back every training session.

Although I have no video evidence of either.
I thought his kicking was better last night, with less sliced out for throw ins etc. Whether there is a measurable effect on his body I don't know.

I thought it was a vastly improved performance from the Portsmouth match. They all got stuck in and fought for every ball. Impressed with Bridcutt and Scully and as has been mentioned Melbourne was much better last night. My MOM was Hesketh, best game he’s played for us. Shackell, what’s happened to him !

r.e. the playing out, I think it's a fine line between sticking to your guns and and changing a philosophy just because some don't quite fit what you're trying to do or aren't able to do so as good as needed. For me, that compromises the development of rest of the team/squad at a point where we're starting to sow the seeds for next season - and we've got a few likely to be here next season now.

IMO, keep trying to play the way we are and stick to what MA is wanting. Players should be able to know when you can and can't try and play a ball through the thirds or not try risky ball two minutes into the second half against the table toppers. MA isn't asking for an extreme in style. It's the decision making at times that is the issue.
I think Vicker's decision making there is improving as he kicked long more last night. And the fucking about for their goal was nothing to with him.

BTW has anybody said Scully should pull his socks up?

I thought it was a vastly improved performance from the Portsmouth match. They all got stuck in and fought for every ball. Impressed with Bridcutt and Scully and as has been mentioned Melbourne was much better last night. My MOM was Hesketh, best game he’s played for us. Shackell, what’s happened to him !
He's become that most dangerous of animals, a central defender that thinks he's a footballer :p

I have no idea what that means but I will assume it doesn't mean an articulate and engaging conversation on the merits of 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.

Didn't see any issues anywhere but, then again, I never do these days (Bury away last season an exception).

As Rotherham fans came out of exit about 20 ‘lads’ approached them, all hustled together, hoods down and zips right up, giving it ‘come on then’ and getting in faces of people just trying to walk to their cars. To be fair to the police, they were on the scene quickly.

I think Vicker's decision making there is improving as he kicked long more last night. And the fucking about for their goal was nothing to with him.

BTW has anybody said Scully should pull his socks up?

Socks were very Jack Grealish!

Always give it a day before writing anything too critical. But has to be said Shacks recent performances are concerning. Things he was great at last season now seem to be weaknesses - decision making, keeping calm. Has been our poorest performer recently.