Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United

add to that, he has bolger and shackell as the two options to play out to, and a bobbly pitch. it is like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Bolger was superb today, won everything today and didn't do much wrong. Best not to talk about Shackell's performance. You can tell he had a bad game when, as captain, he walked straight down to the tunnel on the full time Whistle.

As a word of caution we are not safe until we are safe. Hopefully they will build on this and win on Tuesday.
Couldn’t agree more. The memory of slipping into the National Leauge when we were supposedly safe is still raw. I’ll only relax when we are mathematically safe. The next 2 games are crucial particularly as the form of MK Dons has picked up lately

Unfortunately that bit of luck is missing at the moment
Created some decent chances at times and not much between the teams for a neutral observer apart from losing the second ball in the second half was frustrating
Get the win on Tuesday and the confidence will flood across this team
Haven’t thought the gap between us and the likes of Pompey Rotherham Ipswich is that significant considering where we’ve come from last season
Uti

I still have nightmares of our slide in to Non-League

For some of us it's slides.

Back in my hotel room after my fourth home game in the last two seasons, and I'm afraid the poor result is my fault as this makes it two defeats and two draws in those four games. In fact the last time I saw a home win at Sincil Bank Gavin Gordon was amongst the scorers.

But it wasn't the worst 1-0 defeat I've ever seen and the performance was a big improvement on last Saturday. We were the better side in the first half and although didn't do as well after going a goal down I thought it was a fairly even game overall after that. We had the two good chances in the first half as against what were little more than half chances in the second.

I too thought Hesketh did OK in the first half, but he then looked most likely to be the first player to be substituted. Impressed with Scully, also Bridcutt first half, and I thought Melbourne defended very well first half (when he was right in front of where I was).

question 74. (repeated). if none of the back line will be here next year, why are we practicing it with them now?

question 75. why aren't bridcutt and morell (neither contracted for next year) coming short to take passes off bolger and shackell?

It's the two centre halves and goalkeeper that worry me, not the full backs. And the centre half who's injured is used to playing in midfield.

It's up to everyone else to adapt as well, though, and you're right about the two centre midfield players, they can't be excused.

Plastic will always be plastic, that’s why it’s not biodegradable.
Why is it that everyone who does not indulge in the blind optimism of some on this forum are labelled as ‘plastic’. My first match was in April 1964 which we lost 2-0 at home to Workington. Since then I’ve been through multiple re-elections, 2 relegations to non league football. I’m still here but if that means I’m plastic then so be it

It's the two centre halves and goalkeeper that worry me, not the full backs. And the centre half who's injured is used to playing in midfield.

It's up to everyone else to adapt as well, though, and you're right about the two centre midfield players, they can't be excused.
and it all starts from the keeper and the 2 centre halves.
i am wondering, if this is such a core element of Appleton's style, why he didn't make bringing in a keeper and two centre halves that could start this tactic rolling a top priority. he did make 12 signings.

and it all starts from the keeper and the 2 centre halves.
i am wondering, if this is such a core element of Appleton's style, why he didn't make bringing in a keeper and two centre halves that could start this tactic rolling a top priority. he did make 12 signings.

Well a keeper was brought in. We've no idea how good or otherwise he is. Will he get his chance? Who knows.

Vickers did a good save (his one strong point) but the kicking out has become such a major problem.

Lincoln played fine tonight, particularly in the first half where we should have gone in a goal up. Rotherham played on our weaknesses in the second half and did a job on us after getting their goal.

Bridcutt looked a class apart and the team has potential. However the atmosphere at the end was flat and the majority of the home fans around me walked out without clapping off the team.

I can understand why we have sold players to cut costs with us being pretty much safe. The reasons can be spun in anyway you like. However, the move will be counter-productive if some of those who have enjoyed the last three and a half years suddenly cant be bothered to attend or begin to choose their games.

I feel a crossroads is being reached.

I also wonder whether appleton knew what was being planned when he took the job or whether it all came as a surprise in january.

The last few home games could dictate the next few years, I feel. I hope we end the losing run at home to MK Dons. Three successive home defeats will not help repurchases of season tickets and then the budget for next season is affected again, and a spiral starts.

The gains on and off the pitch in the past few seasons need to be guarded carefully.

Tonight was always going to be difficult, you cannot rip the heart out of your team in one window and replace them with untried youngsters and expect anything else against a top side. Tuesday is the key game imo.

Well a keeper was brought in. We've no idea how good or otherwise he is. Will he get his chance? Who knows.

Vickers did a good save (his one strong point) but the kicking out has become such a major problem.
aware we did bring in a keeper to cover smith going out on loan, but he is 20 with no experience. we also brought in an inexperienced centre half on loan. i was more thinking about a keeper and centre backs that you would call foundations, or first names on the team sheet, for the team going forward this season, and into next season. for the grand playing-it-out-from-the-back scheme.

presumably no-one suitable was available, or the ones we have didn't want to leave/were not wanted by anyone else.

I don’t like to use the term unlucky, as Gary Player once said, the more I practice the luckier I get. But I felt we were tonight at least deserved a point, and the improvement from the Pompey game was huge. Bridcutt and Morrell in midfield looked the real deal and Scully looked lively and classy, can’t wait to see more of him. I thought again Bolger did ok defensively.

Unfortunately Shackell looked nervous with the ball at his feet and for me I would question if it would be worth giving the previously impressive looking Lewis a start instead of Eardley.

I think there was a lot of positives to take out of the game tonight against the top team. However we are going to have to hit the back of the net at various points to get the points required to confirm league one next season.

Just looked at the highlights.

Hesketh played a vital parts in our best 2 chances in the first half (for those who thought he was anonymous).

A beautifully weighted ball to put Anderson through to set up the Grant header and a great cross which Anderson couldn’t quite guide into the net.

Greatly encouraged by tonight’s performance against the top team in the league.

Would not be all that surprised to pick up 6 points from next couple of games.
There were a lot of good displays tonight and on another night we could have won quite comfortably.

The people who last season were fretting we would not get enough points to be promoted are the same people who are now getting themselves in a lather about the chances of going down.

There are plenty of rough edges but ...

Bridcutt will now provide the O’Connor role but with more ability, Melbourne is settling in a little, Bolger is on top defensive form, John-Jules will score soon, we created enough chances to win two games, Scully looked good etc etc

Looking forward to the rest of the season and next season getting even better in L1.

Lincoln played fine tonight, particularly in the first half where we should have gone in a goal up. Rotherham played on our weaknesses in the second half and did a job on us after getting their goal.

Bridcutt looked a class apart and the team has potential. However the atmosphere at the end was flat and the majority of the home fans around me walked out without clapping off the team.

I can understand why we have sold players to cut costs with us being pretty much safe. The reasons can be spun in anyway you like. However, the move will be counter-productive if some of those who have enjoyed the last three and a half years suddenly cant be bothered to attend or begin to choose their games.

I feel a crossroads is being reached.

I also wonder whether appleton knew what was being planned when he took the job or whether it all came as a surprise in january.

The last few home games could dictate the next few years, I feel. I hope we end the losing run at home to MK Dons. Three successive home defeats will not help repurchases of season tickets and then the budget for next season is affected again, and a spiral starts.

The gains on and off the pitch in the past few seasons need to be guarded carefully.

Sounds like Appleton relishes bringing in a few youngsters and developing them. And as he said, it is not the youngsters who are making the errors that are costing us, ie. Shackell’s sloppy pass tonight.

I thought it was an excellent performance tonight against a team of giants and we just did not get the rub of the green in front of goal. Bridcutt was quality and Scully looked very very promising in what must be one of the best 10-minute cameos ever in an Imps shirt.

Forgot to say, some of our ‘fans’ were giving it green street to the Rotherham supporters on way out, absolute embarrassment.

I have no idea what that means but I will assume it doesn't mean an articulate and engaging conversation on the merits of 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.

Didn't see any issues anywhere but, then again, I never do these days (Bury away last season an exception).

I don’t like to use the term unlucky, as Gary Player once said, the more I practice the luckier I get. But I felt we were tonight at least deserved a point, and the improvement from the Pompey game was huge. Bridcutt and Morrell in midfield looked the real deal and Scully looked lively and classy, can’t wait to see more of him. I thought again Bolger did ok defensively.

Unfortunately Shackell looked nervous with the ball at his feet and for me I would question if it would be worth giving the previously impressive looking Lewis a start instead of Eardley.

I think there was a lot of positives to take out of the game tonight against the top team. However we are going to have to hit the back of the net at various points to get the points required to confirm league one next season.

Lewis is injured. But I do agree that when fit he needs to be starting by now.

Most enjoyable defeat this season so far (frustrating but enjoyable).

We played with purpose, drive and passion tonight and was a step up from last 3 games.

Bridcutt had an excellent debut and is like a rock- clearly hard as nails and he can jump for England (or Scotland!). In fact, his role released Morrell to play higher, roam across the midfield and was the main reason (IMHO) we played so well. Morrell is so much better when he has freedom to play and dictate and Bridcutt gave him that chance.

Defensively Shacks look half like he has already finished the season- once we are safe(r) then I think Eyoma will join Bolger in the CB roles I am not sure we will see Bossie much more this season or next.

The will to get forward was there tonight and, but for some poor finishing, we should have got a point from that game.

Best first half since Ipswich just before New Year- felt like a step up again tonight.

However, the second half of our season really kicks off on Tuesday with a run of 5 games with some must-win battles (Mk, Burton, Gillingham, Tranmere, Accrington).

We have run the gauntlet of the top 6- now it's the minnows around us. We go again Tuesday.