The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 145 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
so the coach isn't responsible for either the players or their performances

odd - easy this coaching lark with those caveats

I'd hope we'd get the best available we could for every position at the club if we truly want to compete. We've a couple currently at the club at a decent level the rest are hugely questionnable.
think some folk just like being plucky losers tbh

In which case it's time to panic.

But you said if we don't get 6 points we're doomed. Which we're not. 4 would keep us on course to stay up.

That's a very important point.

However poorly we have played at times lately , we are still bang in there with a decent chance of staying up.

All isn't lost just yet.

That's a very important point.

However poorly we have played at times lately , we are still bang in there with a decent chance of staying up.

All isn't lost just yet.

Clutching at straws Sir Den, no long ago our goal difference was +1 it now reads the second-worst in the league. We now look like a poor team Whereas others started badly and now have picked up we are the team on the slid along with Burnley and Bournemouth not many others are sliding our way sadly and a 6-1 whopping. Nothing is lost just yet is correct and will be correct until is mathematically so. Mentally the team have gone and think Deano is losing it as well . I hope I'm wrong but it looks like we are gone to me

so the coach isn't responsible for either the players or their performances

odd - easy this coaching lark with those caveats

I'd hope we'd get the best available we could for every position at the club if we truly want to compete. We've a couple currently at the club at a decent level the rest are hugely questionnable.
think some folk just like being plucky losers tbh
Coaching is not easy and the term actually says it all - you help people to develop their own skills. The quote that most sport is played on the 5 inches between the ears is very true. Coaches cannot put a footballing brain where one does not exist. All of Man City players have great footballing brains and that is why they can create space, press opponents and spot opportunities. Jack has some of those qualities but many of our players don't. Coaches can improve fitness, look after diet and look to motivate, but if the 'wetware' is not there, they can't put it there.
City, Liverpool and others have had the time and funds to build up their collective footballing brains by plundering the talent that emerged at lesser clubs - sadly that will continue and we do not really have the clout to join in with that party and the point that Maupay was too expensive is testament to that thought.

Clutching at straws Sir Den, no long ago our goal difference was +1 it now reads the second-worst in the league. We now look like a poor team Whereas others started badly and now have picked up we are the team on the slid along with Burnley and Bournemouth not many others are sliding our way sadly and a 6-1 whopping. Nothing is lost just yet is correct and will be correct until is mathematically so. Mentally the team have gone and think Deano is losing it as well . I hope I'm wrong but it looks like we are gone to me

Maybe , maybe not , who would have thought we would get promoted this time last year ? Wigan away was just as bad as any performance recently .

You never know , especially in this game and we have a chance if we give it the full bollocks.

I will add signings are crucial though.

Maybe , maybe not , who would have thought we would get promoted this time last year ? Wigan away was just as bad as any performance recently .

You never know , especially in this game and we have a chance if we give it the full bollocks.

I will add signings are crucial though.

I was actually one of the few who thought when Jack came back we'd make the top six, he's that good.
we need six wins and a couple of Draws or 7 wins Just need to focus on the 6 wins against the bottom 6 clubs

I was actually one of the few who thought when Jack came back we'd make the top six, he's that good.
we need six wins and a couple of Draws or 7 wins Just need to focus on the 6 wins against the bottom 6 clubs

Yes. The next 3 games will give us a good idea if we are up for the fight.

We had better be.

I'm not ignoring, but your reasons are poor players and poor performances and you're blaming that on the best first team coach we've had in a decade.
He hasn’t had much to beat to earn that accolade. But seriously, even Dean doesn’t know if he can cut in the Premier League so we certainly don’t. My main concern is that he has abandoned the attacking set up that he’s always played because it wasn’t working, we were conceding too many goals. So he is in new territory in the toughest of leagues with a band of players whom he presumably bought to play a fast flowing attacking style. He also must take responsibility for starting the season with inadequate main striker cover. He obviously doesn’t rate Kodjia and Davis is rarely fit enough to play. I’m sure all on here desperately want him to succeed and that he can get them going again for Brighton and beyond.

I'm sorry but some of your attitudes towards Dean Smith are nothing more than disgusting, pathetic, short sighted and petty.

He inherited one of the worst Villa squads I've ever seen. More than half of our best players last season weren't even ours, they were here on loan. If you told me this time last year that we would be 18th in the premier league in January 2020, I would have laughed you out of the room.

So what changed in the summer? We lost Abraham and replaced him with Wesley, we lost Tuanzebe and replaced him with Engels and Konsa, we signed Targett for left back who has been injured more often than not, we got Guilbert back from loan, we signed two defensive midfielders to replace Whelan and Jedinak. Does that sound like a squad that will go from 5th in the championship to mid table premier league to you?

Heaton was a bright spark. Hes injured.

McGinn started brightly. Injured.

We have scored MORE GOALS than anyone outside of the top six and we haven't even had a bloody striker this season. Please explain to me how the FIRST TEAM COACH deserves ANY BLAME for keeping us out of the relegation zone for the majority of the season with a squad of absolute SHITE?

I said it in May and I'll say it again now. Stay up or go down, Dean Smith has my full backing 100%. He is the man to coach the aston villa first team. End of story.
Much of what you say is indisputable. But why did DEAN take so long to change the naieve team formation. Two lightweight wingers supposedly linking with two full backs who,alas,are not good at defending. To Dean's credit, he has seen the light and tightened us up defensively. Also the £moneymen dictated our recruitment policy and Dean's choices of Maupay, Phillips, Benrhama and Webster look quality compared to what we have. Overall, he is well is well in credit,we went from a mess to a decent outfit in just a few weeks. Having said he,for me,is still in credit,if a managerial Messiah is available,then fine.

Who would you play instead of Douglas then? Nakamba has been shambolic in his last three games.

Guilbert was shattered after the Leicester game and Elmohamady is the only other right back we have in the squad. Dean Smith can only pick from the players in front of him.

The only fit left back was Taylor. We had a 3m pound centre back who's played under 10 premier league games at the back. We were playing Manchester City. Dean Smith was absolutely powerless in approaching that game. A crack team of Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger, Saunders couldn't get a result against City with this squad. We dont even have a bloody striker.

Luiz is shocking mate, doesn`t tackle / intercept anything or create - he is completely the wrong player we need in our position, anyone is better than him IMO.

Elmo and Taylor were not good enough in the Championship, if Guilbert cannot play 2 games in a week then that is bad recruitment by Smith, although he was fit as on the bench so you are just guessing he was " shattered " to suit your argument - if he is a sub he is fit according to Smith so could have started.

I agree with you that that this team cannot possibly get a result against Man City, because they are mentally weak as piss and from what i watched on Sunday lack any motivation or desire to put the required effort in.

You honestly really believe Smith was " powerless " to get a performance?

I have seen non leagues teams perform better than that - please do not tell me you think that was acceptable on Sunday?

Luiz is shocking mate, doesn`t tackle / intercept anything or create - he is completely the wrong player we need in our position, anyone is better than him IMO.

Elmo and Taylor were not good enough in the Championship, if Guilbert cannot play 2 games in a week then that is bad recruitment by Smith, although he was fit as on the bench so you are just guessing he was " shattered " to suit your argument - if he is a sub he is fit according to Smith so could have started.

I agree with you that that this team cannot possibly get a result against Man City, because they are mentally weak as piss and from what i watched on Sunday lack any motivation or desire to put the required effort in.

You honestly really believe Smith was " powerless " to get a performance?

I have seen non leagues teams perform better than that - please do not tell me you think that was acceptable on Sunday?
I agree Douglas has looked poor for a couple of months now, but like I said, who would you pick ahead of him? Lansbury?

Dean didn't sign Guilbert so you cant blame him for recruitment here. In fact, I'd say dean had a very, very small say on any of the summer signings. Konsa and Jota are the only two which he would have known more than a little about previous to signing.

Acceptable on Sunday? Not a chance. I despise Taylor and Elmohamady as footballers. Hause and Konsa arent premier league quality yet. The goalkeeper wasnt good enough for us when we were mid table in the championship, enough said. Theres three or four Villa players which are premier league quality and two are now injured. If we stay up it's a bloody miracle with this squad. Was the performance in any way Dean Smith's fault? No. He picked the strongest, fittest team available to him. The performances this season minus two or three games have been above expectations and he is doing a bloody good job with the tools he has available.

I agree Douglas has looked poor for a couple of months now, but like I said, who would you pick ahead of him? Lansbury?

Dean didn't sign Guilbert so you cant blame him for recruitment here. In fact, I'd say dean had a very, very small say on any of the summer signings. Konsa and Jota are the only two which he would have known more than a little about previous to signing.

Acceptable on Sunday? Not a chance. I despise Taylor and Elmohamady as footballers. Hause and Konsa arent premier league quality yet. The goalkeeper wasnt good enough for us when we were mid table in the championship, enough said. Theres three or four Villa players which are premier league quality and two are now injured. If we stay up it's a bloody miracle with this squad. Was the performance in any way Dean Smith's fault? No. He picked the strongest, fittest team available to him. The performances this season minus two or three games have been above expectations and he is doing a bloody good job with the tools he has available.

Why did he not sign Guilbert ? He approved the signing last January.

Again he was on the bench and fit so should have started, you say Smith had a very, very small say which goes against everything he said in the Summer.

Quite a few times he has gone with Elmo this season over Guilbert - this was not a new thing on Sunday - and IMO a massive judgement error by the Manager.

He spoke at length of his relationship with the staff and he ok`d every signing.

Have Oxford got a better squad than us or Port Vale? As they have played Man City recently and at least gave a shit ( professional pride maybe? )

Norwich beat Man City at home with a worse squad than ours so these games aren`t just to give up and take it up the arse.

You may rate Smith which is fair enough but for an awful lot of games since Man United we have been absolutely shocking, he looks like he cannot motivate them to lift a leg which is very worrying to me.

This game on Sunday was not a one off, i have to believe Smith and his coaches must do better - if this is just accepted as " he cannot do anymore "then we are royally fucked.

Why did he not sign Guilbert ? He approved the signing last January.

Again he was on the bench and fit so should have started, you say Smith had a very, very small say which goes against everything he said in the Summer.

Quite a few times he has gone with Elmo this season over Guilbert - this was not a new thing on Sunday - and IMO a massive judgement error by the Manager.

He spoke at length of his relationship with the staff and he ok`d every signing.

Have Oxford got a better squad than us or Port Vale? As they have played Man City recently and at least gave a shit ( professional pride maybe? )

Norwich beat Man City at home with a worse squad than ours so these games aren`t just to give up and take it up the arse.

You may rate Smith which is fair enough but for an awful lot of games since Man United we have been absolutely shocking, he looks like he cannot motivate them to lift a leg which is very worrying to me.

This game on Sunday was not a one off, i have to believe Smith and his coaches must do better - if this is just accepted as " he cannot do anymore "then we are royally fucked.
I'm seeing a lot of this manchester United away game being marked out as the point it all changed, so by that I'm presuming everyone else was happy with Dean's job up until that game?

So since then, we played three of the top five, lost every game. Beat liverpool U21s in the quarter finals of the league cup. Lost to southampton at home, who have since beaten the likes of Chelsea and Leicester, showing they were in somewhat of a false position in the relegation zone, and lost mcginn in the same game. We beat norwich. We lost to Watford who were also rejuvenated at the time and showing they were also in a false position in the relegation zone.

We beat Burnley away from home easily, lost Heaton. Lost to Fulham in the FA cup, drew with Leicester away from home in the first leg of the semi finals. Lost to Manchester City at home.

It's hardly a disastrous bit of management above is it? We've lost two of our best players this season to injury, and the gulf in quality between them and their replacements isn't even worth comparison.

I'm seeing a lot of this manchester United away game being marked out as the point it all changed, so by that I'm presuming everyone else was happy with Dean's job up until that game?

So since then, we played three of the top five, lost every game. Beat liverpool U21s in the quarter finals of the league cup. Lost to southampton at home, who have since beaten the likes of Chelsea and Leicester, showing they were in somewhat of a false position in the relegation zone, and lost mcginn in the same game. We beat norwich. We lost to Watford who were also rejuvenated at the time and showing they were also in a false position in the relegation zone.

We beat Burnley away from home easily, lost Heaton. Lost to Fulham in the FA cup, drew with Leicester away from home in the first leg of the semi finals. Lost to Manchester City at home.

It's hardly a disastrous bit of management above is it? We've lost two of our best players this season to injury, and the gulf in quality between them and their replacements isn't even worth comparison.

Mate - if you think he cannot do any more then fair enough, it`s your opinion.

But i disagree.

He has been dealt some shitty hands i agree with you, but too many games they look lost and lacking basic motivation.

I can handle losing but around 7 or 8 games since the Man United game we have been below what i would class as acceptable, Smith turned it around last season and no-one will be happier than me if he does the same now.

Status
Not open for further replies.