The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 144 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would but can’t see it happening. His post match comments after citeh were a declaration of surrender imho. Up until then I’d backed him but he’s lost the lot - the game, belief in himself and seemingly any respect from the players.

Can’t argue with the horrendous performance yesterday and both he and the players deserve much of the stick they’re getting after it but is it just convenient to forget the much improved performance and result at Burnley and the dogged, spirited draw at Leicester? They count as much as the game yesterday. Neither of those performances suggested he’s lost the dressing room...And as for his reaction after the game yesterday suggesting he’s lost belief in himself, that reminds me of the bizarre ‘ah but look at his body language’ negativity before Burnley. If they perform in the same manner in the next 3 games as they did at Burnley, combined with the work rate and determination we did show at Leicester but was so sadly lacking yesterday, there’s no reason why we can’t put yesterday’s pathetic effort behind us and look forward with a bit more hope and optimism. I get the frustration as a result of yesterday’s feeble effort but some of it is completely OTT for me.

And what manager worth his salt would come to us? Knowing we have alot of rubbish players. Knowing we are relegation bound. We would surely only be able to attract the usual suspects who we would be moaning about AGAIN in a few months time. I don't know ins and outs obviously but from where I'm sitting, if I was a class manager, I wouldnt even dream/nightmare about taking the challenge on. Even if it meant doubling my salary because this villa job doesn't do too much for peoples CVs.

I’d hazard a guess we’d get a lot of CV’s bit for the wrong reasons i.e. the pay cheque.

Steve Cotteril was usually first to get his through the post

I'm talking years, not (figuratively speaking) five minutes.

We have under achieved for decades, we have messed up appointment after appointment. Randy was a fabulous new owner, then he got the appointments wrong. Hope these owners have more luck, and if they see things aren't right, are quick to change, I am talking top to bottom.

Yes, we need patience to re-build, but we also need solid foundations. They will know what needs doing, I'm sure.

We look rank amateur at the moment, no shape, awful basics, the total embarrassment of no striker. It isn't how a big club acts.

They won't be seeing 'nothing wrong' with how we are being run, of that I am sure... or at least hopeful!
Jonathan,that double negative is confusing me. Academic highpoint was Cookery O level,grade 6.

Yes, not good English that, was just quoting McParland "I see nothing wrong"

:grinning:

Anyway, I'm not double negative, I'm double realistic :lol::grinning:

Would take Biesla in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I don’t think he would be tempted. Unless we stay up and Leeds miss out on promotion.... Question is then would we keep DS if he kept us up by 1pt?

I bet if Bielsa was our manager last season and had us in the top 2 for most of the season before dropping into the play offs late on only to capitulate at home in the 2nd leg he would be hounded from the club.

We have under achieved for decades, we have messed up appointment after appointment. Randy was a fabulous new owner, then he got the appointments wrong. Hope these owners have more luck, and if they see things aren't right, are quick to change, I am talking top to bottom.

Yes, we need patience to re-build, but we also need solid foundations. They will know what needs doing, I'm sure.

We look rank amateur at the moment, no shape, awful basics, the total embarrassment of no striker. It isn't how a big club acts.

They won't be seeing 'nothing wrong' with how we are being run, of that I am sure... or at least hopeful!
I did the maths the other day, it cost Randy personally almost £100k per day for the privilege of owning Aston Villa.
I wonder if the new owners can top that

Yesterday was a shit show but they dicked man utd in half an hour midweek. For as poor as we seem to have been we are still in with a chance of staying up but players have to come in. If we do go down it isn't the end of the world, one day we will get it right, just hope it's before I'm 60.

"I see nothing wrong with the way the club is being run"
JF, you're twisting what I said. It's pretty clear that I was talking about how the owners were running the club. Not about how things were working out on the pitch.

There is no magic wand which dictates that everything will look great on the pitch. Liverpool maybe, but look how long it took them to get there. No one knows which Manchester United is going to turn up; they can sparkle one minute and look awful the next. Ole needs time and I think he'll probably get it.

I think DS will be given time unless the owners, who can see things in much greater depth than we can, decide he can't do what they require. I'm happy with that.

I'm sorry but some of your attitudes towards Dean Smith are nothing more than disgusting, pathetic, short sighted and petty.

He inherited one of the worst Villa squads I've ever seen. More than half of our best players last season weren't even ours, they were here on loan. If you told me this time last year that we would be 18th in the premier league in January 2020, I would have laughed you out of the room.

So what changed in the summer? We lost Abraham and replaced him with Wesley, we lost Tuanzebe and replaced him with Engels and Konsa, we signed Targett for left back who has been injured more often than not, we got Guilbert back from loan, we signed two defensive midfielders to replace Whelan and Jedinak. Does that sound like a squad that will go from 5th in the championship to mid table premier league to you?

Heaton was a bright spark. Hes injured.

McGinn started brightly. Injured.

We have scored MORE GOALS than anyone outside of the top six and we haven't even had a bloody striker this season. Please explain to me how the FIRST TEAM COACH deserves ANY BLAME for keeping us out of the relegation zone for the majority of the season with a squad of absolute SHITE?

I said it in May and I'll say it again now. Stay up or go down, Dean Smith has my full backing 100%. He is the man to coach the aston villa first team. End of story.

Since Man Utd game something has happened in that dressing room.

I reckon 10 games now we have been terrible bar 1 or 2 halves, he can not get any type of reaction from them now.

The body language and effort yesterday was absolutely pathetic and his response in interviews was a fucking joke.

Where has the " we will go toe to toe " with anyone ? His teams do not look fit enough or even organised.

Let`s play 8 at the back but not challenge or look defensively tight.

He continues to pick Luiz when he cannot tackle ( yesterday by all accounts he did not make 1 ).

He also picks Elmo when Guilbert is better, he`s losing the plot.
Who would you play instead of Douglas then? Nakamba has been shambolic in his last three games.

Guilbert was shattered after the Leicester game and Elmohamady is the only other right back we have in the squad. Dean Smith can only pick from the players in front of him.

The only fit left back was Taylor. We had a 3m pound centre back who's played under 10 premier league games at the back. We were playing Manchester City. Dean Smith was absolutely powerless in approaching that game. A crack team of Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger, Saunders couldn't get a result against City with this squad. We dont even have a bloody striker.

I feel the same about your attitude to fellow fans. Completely ignoring the valid reasons for fans not been happy.

NOBODY's happy with losing. Some people didn't want DS, some are thinking maybe he isn't the answer, although a lot want him to be given more time. But rewriting history to discount what he has achieved so far is going to get up people's noses.

NOBODY's happy with losing. Some people didn't want DS, some are thinking maybe he isn't the answer, although a lot want him to be given more time. But rewriting history to discount what he has achieved so far is going to get up people's noses.

Debate the post not the poster then, there's no need to insult other fans because they don't think the same as you, I haven't insulted any other fans just stated my opinion, noticed you liked the last post too Mike, you should know this most of all.

I think Dean sinks or swims by his own decisions if indeed they are his decisions, his players and he has full control of all on-field activities
He has a squad that still contains relics of the Bruce era who needed to go in the summer but we just couldn't do it all at once.

My biggest doubt at the moment is he can't get 100% effort out of this team since the Man Utd away game since then some something has happened, something has been said or whatever but some not all have given up and it has spread to the rest of the team.

I think we have a few players who will make it eventually we have 4 who are currently good enough 2 of those are injured.
Having to loan players to cover them is hard when we should be out buying players to replace the poor ones.

Whoever decided to go with the strikers we have and whoever decided Wesley was going to play every game is deserving of all the stick but is that Deano or has he been told to look this bloke is our record signing he plays.

Somethings we won't know until the book comes out in the years to come but it won't be all as we think it is that's for sure

Sack him now. Fine.

But I guarantee that in 18 months we will be having thr same conversation about the next victim . Look at what's been going on at our club, in football for a few years now. Its is circus. If we can't give the manager of our club who got us the promotion we all craved, playing decent football , who gets the club and history and is a fan a fair crack of he whip then no one will get a fair crack .

This thread definitely reads like the Bruce thread and no doubt like other manager threads of the past...
Lost the dressing room, no tactics, no subs, can't motivate the players, isn't making decisions, etc etc.

The next manager thread will no doubt read the same on 18 months if Smirh goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.