The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 143 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
El Ghazi has actually done better than I expected this season. If he works on his finishing we've got a solid PL player there.
Trez was a live wire when he came on but in other games his decision making has been non existent. Can that be learnt? Dunno.
Simple fact was that without a target up front, City knew we were going to have to play it through them so they just smothered us coming out.
Taylor + a poor Hourihane + an unfit Drinkwater meant that we effectively had nothing on the left whatsoever, forward or defensively.

Taylor needs to just go. I'd rather put Hause out left and play Engels at CB instead if Targett's out.

Trez outshone Salah at African Cup of Nations according to loads of reports before we were linked and he definitely improved us coming on yesterday.

Having to buy half a PL squad for £140m is loaded with risk and that's all we need to explain some of our signings being less than spectacular. No need to resort to conspiracy.

Yep, when Vassilev gets in the starting line up it will no doubt be under the instructions of Edens for the US market

Money talks.

I still think we could have got Brendan Rodgers from Celtic if we'd have splashed the cash.

Everton just got Ancelloti.

Newcastle had Benitez.

Pay them, and they will come!

Yes, all too often fans downplay what we are/could be. 'We' have come to accept the constant hiring of middle of the road and/or average managers.

This place is huge, it is just no one seems to run it as such. Look at the fans yesterday, being thrashed, before people left, immense noise.

Yes, all too often fans downplay what we are/could be. 'We' have come to accept the constant hiring of middle of the road and/or average managers.

This place is huge, it is just no one seems to run it as such. Look at the fans yesterday, being thrashed, before people left, immense noise.

Souness quote - ‘Villa is a monster of a club’, He talked some real sense yesterday, very complimentary about the club and constructive about the beating we took and how we still may have enough to stay up.

I see nothing wrong with the way the club is being run. The owners strike me as people with ambition who will do what they can to get us back to the upper reaches of the PL. In DS they put in place somebody who they thought could guide us forwards within the limitations of where we were and the resources available. So long as DS is here I'll assume they are still backing him; if they don't think he's the one they'll replace him, no problem.

Me, I'll back DS for the time being. With 21 points from 22 games then we're relegation candidates, but only just; it can easily change. We need something from the next 3 games; 6 points would be fine, anything less than 3 rather dodgy.

Last edited:
And what manager worth his salt would come to us? Knowing we have alot of rubbish players. Knowing we are relegation bound. We would surely only be able to attract the usual suspects who we would be moaning about AGAIN in a few months time. I don't know ins and outs obviously but from where I'm sitting, if I was a class manager, I wouldnt even dream/nightmare about taking the challenge on. Even if it meant doubling my salary because this villa job doesn't do too much for peoples CVs.

I would imagine the blame game will be passed from the manager criticising Suso ( and I wonder if that has already started?) then eventually Purslow would get it in the ear from Sawiris and Edens so in order to protect his own position Purslow will sack them both and instal a new manager first and then a new Sporting Director?

It's a problem created from the hierarchy of the club so even Purslow better watch out as I can't see either Sawiris or Edens (particularly Sawiris) putting up with this ill-thought-out transfer policy and ignoring the fact we needed another forward before the season started.

Meanwhile, Dean Smith is the fall guy in all this but having said that he clearly appears to be unable to get the best out of what he has got so at the moment so he really needs to get his act together or he will be the first to go.

However, as SD said, just who is available and best suited to run our club?

I don't know!
And what manager worth his salt would come to us? Knowing we have alot of rubbish players. Knowing we are relegation bound. We would surely only be able to attract the usual suspects who we would be moaning about AGAIN in a few months time. I don't know ins and outs obviously but from where I'm sitting, if I was a class manager, I wouldnt even dream/nightmare about taking the challenge on. Even if it meant doubling my salary because this villa job doesn't do too much for peoples CVs.
Ask Graeme Souness.

Would take Biesla in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I don’t think he would be tempted. Unless we stay up and Leeds miss out on promotion.... Question is then would we keep DS if he kept us up by 1pt?

I would but can’t see it happening. His post match comments after citeh were a declaration of surrender imho. Up until then I’d backed him but he’s lost the lot - the game, belief in himself and seemingly any respect from the players.

I'm actually not saying sack him now, if we were going to do that, it needed to be the start of the window anyway.

But all this 'who would come' stuff shocks me. Just how small do you think this club is? Money talks as others have said. Are we so battered down and used to losing that we don't rate this place anymore?!

Who are you thinking then JF? Assuming pep (the real one, not the sty imitation) and Jose are happy where they are, who have you got in mind?

and fwiw, I’d hope/expect 99% on here would love to eat humble pie if deano breaks the “10 in a row” record this season. Not holding breath though

I see nothing wrong with the way the club is being run.

I'm talking years, not (figuratively speaking) five minutes.

We have under achieved for decades, we have messed up appointment after appointment. Randy was a fabulous new owner, then he got the appointments wrong. Hope these owners have more luck, and if they see things aren't right, are quick to change, I am talking top to bottom.

Yes, we need patience to re-build, but we also need solid foundations. They will know what needs doing, I'm sure.

We look rank amateur at the moment, no shape, awful basics, the total embarrassment of no striker. It isn't how a big club acts.

They won't be seeing 'nothing wrong' with how we are being run, of that I am sure... or at least hopeful!

Who are you thinking then JF? Assuming pep (the real one, not the sty imitation) and Jose are happy where they are, who have you got in mind?

and fwiw, I’d hope/expect 99% on here would love to eat humble pie if deano breaks the “10 in a row” record this season. Not holding breath though

Yes, like all managers, I am sure (?!?!? lol) that all those with doubts want to be proved wrong, not right.

Really don't know mate, not really got the finger on any pulses as to who would be available, approachable, what stats managers have etc. That is what club directors are for.

I think we missed a gem in Rodgers. I can't see why a club this size couldn't at least try for Potch. But there must be a number of top managers who, if offered the right package and the right transfer funds, who would fancy a pop at resurrecting this massive club. Managers have egos, if someone got it right here they'd be viewed as a messiah from a massive fan base!

Yes, like all managers, I am sure (?!?!? lol) that all those with doubts want to be proved wrong, not right.

Really don't know mate, not really got the finger on any pulses as to who would be available, approachable, what stats managers have etc. That is what club directors are for.

I think we missed a gem in Rodgers. I can't see why a club this size couldn't at least try for Potch. But there must be a number of top managers who, if offered the right package and the right transfer funds, who would fancy a pop at resurrecting this massive club. Managers have egos, if someone got it right here they'd be viewed as a messiah from a massive fan base!

Fair play, I’d love poch but who knows. Don’t fancy a big sam/ Worthington type but perhaps be careful what we wish for!

Losses?

Status
Not open for further replies.