Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town

MApp said after the game that Elbouzedi would not be playing on Wednesday, so presume any further signings wouldn't be either.

Ipswich very cynical. Clearly a tactic throughout their entire team to take out the man every time they were beaten. The ref let them get away with that throughout the whole of first half but thankfully must have reflected at half time and booked the first two such challenges at the start of the second. A big factor today was how we mixed it up constantly throughout the game. Periods of smart constructive passing through midfield with some decent longer passes in between. As a consequence the Ipswich defence could not settle against a pattern of play and looked unsure for large periods of the game which our creative players took full advantage of. A minor criticism is the continuing habit of passing the ball to Cian Bolger on his left foot. It's not fair on the lad and put him under pressure which I hope people don't over detract from his otherwise solid defensive work. As a team that option should be banned until Shackell is back in the side. If the opposition are pushing onto Bossie to encourage that pass to Bolger then Vickers should just lump it downfield every time. Anyway enough nit picking, what a fantastic day for everyone connected with the club and I am delighted for MA and the players. Oh yeah I got second prize in the 50/50 draw. Time for a song, "It's such a perfect day...."

MApp said after the game that Elbouzedi would not be playing on Wednesday, so presume any further signings wouldn't be either.
He probably meant that, but I had half a thought the way he answered he might have been thinking about new signings not yet done as opposed to the one who has already signed

On paper, it looks a great time to be playing peterborough. But we must remember the danger from wounded animals and all that. I am still buzzing from the performance today. I hope that this could be the turning point for michael appleton. The whole club must be lifted by the scoreline. More of the same against the posh, please! Uti

Today was probably the most fun I've had at a game all season, maybe even more so than Southend or Sunderland. We could have just won 2-0 and had a lovely stress-free afternoon, but that wouldn't have been nearly as pulse-racing or entertaining as the madness which unfolded. We played very well and shouldn't have made it as difficult for ourselves as we did, but to recover from being pegged back twice showed great character after recent results.

To a man we were excellent. Particular praise must go to Jake Hesketh, who shrugged off some recent critics with an excellent display and deserved goal. As for Tyler Walker, did I really see some on here questioning him a few days ago? The man is a finisher, pure and simple, maybe the best we've had since Jamie Forrester. Give him the service and he shall provide.

Same again on New Year's Day please lads.

Accrington at home on a Friday night is what springs to mind.

December 2008 but someone else might know better.
Ahhh, the Peter Jackson "4-4-2!" game.

Didn't their 'keeper collide with a player or post in the second half and end up in hospital after the game with a bleed on the liver or something?

Not sure whether others agree, but it feels like things are starting to settle down now. As I've just said in another thread (below) it wasn't going to be as simple and MA coming in and running with what was already here. New league, upheaval, manager change soon into the season etc etc

Now, it feels like that whole DC departure has quietened down, we're heading into January to tweak the squad, a decent run of form, performances not too bad on the whole bar the odd couple and the squad perhaps starting to get a feel for L1 football (maybe aided by a L1 experienced manager or it would have happened anyway at this point).

The points return at this point considering the lopsided nature of the home/away fixtures and home/away form is also a positive at this point. We've played 5 of the top 6 away from home and have 4 of the bottom 6 to play at home.

Not just a team in transition, but a Club.

On the face of it, MA picked up a decent gig here, and it was to a point, but a) he was following a very successful management team (and one who'd been here for, in football terms, a lengthy period of time, b) it's an inexperienced L1 squad, c) it's a new league for the Club as well, d) it's been a quick rise and with that comes a plateau and e) it was still stuck between two playing styles.

Add all that together, and whilst there are far worse jobs out there, it wasn't quite as simple as coming in and running with it.

Friday 12 Dec 2008
Lincoln 5 Accrington 1 (HT 0-1)
Adrian Patulea 68, 90; Aaron Brown 77; Ben Wright 83; Lee Frecklington (p) 90+2
Att: 2,625

Seem to remember a 5-3 around this time of year against Kidderminster in our non League days ?

Just watched the Hesketh goal again; shades of an iconic goal anybody? It's the last minute against a certain opponent. Their attack breaks down on the edge of the area and Chapman (Power) plays a good ball into feet of Walker (Marriott). This is where Harry comes in as an extra for the purposes of the re-enactment but the ball is quickly back at the feet of Walker who plays a perfectly timed pass for Hesketh (Arnold) to run onto and finish with aplomb, one on one against the keeper. Meanwhile the fans are going through the gears as they see the move unfolding before them.