Aston Villa v Norwich City Match Thread - Thu 26 Dec, 3pm | Page 29 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Norwich City Match Thread - Thu 26 Dec, 3pm

Why is nearly everyone going on about wingers.
Nobody but nobody plays with out and out wingers anymore, simply because they are a luxury no one can afford.
Wing-backs do the job of wingers these days. Wide forwards, in the attacking final third of the pitch, are normally attacking the far post area instead of staying wide. Most times they are cutting in towards the centre, leaving space for the wing-backs to occupy.
Brentfords Benrahma and Hulls Bowen and Forests Lolley are called wingers but, spend the vast majority of their time away from the wings.

Our players need to increase their stamina and have to start pressing the opposition when they have the ball. The pressing needs to start with Wesley. Out players need to make passes to each others feet, or into space for a team-mate to move onto, instead of giving the ball away so cheaply.
More like they were doing in the first two months of the season, working their socks off.
What are you on about? Mane, Sterling, Salah, Sane, Mahrez, James, Hudson Odoi, Willian...

You're describing a changed role for wingers, calling them wide forwards, but it's the same concept. We need new wingers or wide players or whatever you want to call them.

What are you on about? Mane, Sterling, Salah, Sane, Mahrez, James, Hudson Odoi, Willian...

You're describing a changed role for wingers, calling them wide forwards, but it's the same concept. We need new wingers or wide players or whatever you want to call them.

They are are not Wingers in the traditional sense, nothing like wingers they are strikers, when as anyone described Salah or Mane as a winger or even a wide player?

They are are not Wingers in the traditional sense, nothing like wingers they are strikers, when as anyone described Salah or Mane as a winger or even a wide player?
Salah and mane are both wingers in a 4-3-3 system. They play exactly the same role that Dean expects Trezeguet and El Ghazi to play.

Sadio Mané (born 10 April 1992) is a Senegalese professional footballer who plays as a winger for Premier League club Liverpool and the Senegal national team. - wikipedia, first thing that comes up when you search sadio mane.

No, they don't absolutely nothing like it, the Liverpool fullbacks are more like wingers.
Watch how close all 3 strikers play together, not strung across the pitch like out 3 ours are totally isolated from Wesley

That's because our wingers are crap! We set out to play with high, ball playing full backs just like Liverpool do, with our wingers given license to roam inside, just like liverpool do. The difference between us and liverpool are our full backs are average and our wingers are absolutely dreadful. El Ghazi hardly did it in the championship and now hes probably the best of a bad bunch of the wingers in the premiership. Dreadful.

Look at a heat map of salah and especially mane. They spend a lot of time out wide put a lot of crosses in, pass the ball to firmino's feet and make a run inside waiting for a return. Our wingers get the ball, run at the full back towards the corner flag lose possession or put a terrible cross in. We cant put all our forward problems down to Wesley.

We have to beat both of them realistically.
sorry mate, i do not agree that we have to beat both these teams.
The premier league guarantees that any team can beat any team. It will be nice to beat these next 2 teams but it will not relegate us as i am sure we will pull off shock wins further into the season like so many so called poor clubs prove every week.
We will be in the mix for survival come may regardless of the next 5 results as the league is that tight.
It was only a few games ago we should of beat Liverpool and utd, so with the injuries its had an effect on us as the shape looks crap now.

sorry mate, i do not agree that we have to beat both these teams.
The premier league guarantees that any team can beat any team. It will be nice to beat these next 2 teams but it will not relegate us as i am sure we will pull off shock wins further into the season like so many so called poor clubs prove every week.
We will be in the mix for survival come may regardless of the next 5 results as the league is that tight.
It was only a few games ago we should of beat Liverpool and utd, so with the injuries its had an effect on us as the shape looks crap now.
I personally think we need to win the next two. We needed to win against Norwich and Southampton, losing to Southampton was bigger than we think. Lose to Watford which looks likely and we are in trouble, dont get anything against Burnley and we have Man City after that. Dont want to be bottom of the league in February do we?

That's because our wingers are crap! We set out to play with high, ball playing full backs just like Liverpool do, with our wingers given license to roam inside, just like liverpool do. The difference between us and liverpool are our full backs are average and our wingers are absolutely dreadful. El Ghazi hardly did it in the championship and now hes probably the best of a bad bunch of the wingers in the premiership. Dreadful.

Look at a heat map of salah and especially mane. They spend a lot of time out wide put a lot of crosses in, pass the ball to firmino's feet and make a run inside waiting for a return. Our wingers get the ball, run at the full back towards the corner flag lose possession or put a terrible cross in. We cant put all our forward problems down to Wesley.

We'll disagree on that one our wingers are wingers their, "wingers" are 20+ season goalscorers and you don't score goals like that from the corner flag or touchline

The role of a winger changed a long time ago.
As for your list, none of them are traditional wingers, they all play as strikers who interchange positions regularly. None more so than the Liverpool front three, even Firmino will be out wide now and again. Both Salah and Mane end up in the box playing inside the width of the goalposts more often than not. The same can be said for Sterling and Sane and to a lesser extent Mahrez.
When was the last time you saw Hudson-Odoi or Willian play as out and out wingers, the answer is you don't because they play as midfielders who will, play needing, drift out wide.

we certainly blagged on yesterday, we were very lucky not to go down 3-1
Didn't get to the game,grandaughters birthday.Reports from family match the consensus here. We are not a school to teach first team squad players how to play football. Hopefully,new blood is on the way. Continuing as we are will see us relegated. Bowen and Mitrovic would energise us and allow us to play 3-5-2 which, arguably, would suit our squad better. Don't hold your breath. Dean seems glued to 4-3-3 with Jack playing wide to compensate for our non performing wingers.Be brave ,Dean,what we're doing ain't working.

Surely his main role and the reason he is on the pitch is to have shots on target?

No no you're all wrong there as long as he chases around like headless chicken now and then he's put in some sort of shift. His shorts are Lilly white after this shift and he hasn't even got in a scoring position, never mind had a shot. It seems that makes him undroppable.
11 games since he scored at Norwich and he's hardly had a shot since or created a chance for anyone else.
Yet he's doing ok?

He'd miss anyway

Well he needs to bloody shoot to start with. Another game where he didn’t have a shot on target. Unacceptable, he needs to make his chances, especially in our limited team. As was pointed out earlier even Grabban can do this. Kodjia has to start against Watford. Wesley from the bench, come on show us what you can do otherwise you ain’t starting another game.

I’d love a cheeky swap deal with forest, grabban for kodija. Knows where the net is and this was the only place he’s played where he looked happy and not like a sulky teenager

No no you're all wrong there as long as he chases around like headless chicken now and then he's put in some sort of shift. His shorts are Lilly white after this shift and he hasn't even got in a scoring position, never mind had a shot. It seems that makes him undroppable.
11 games since he scored at Norwich and he's hardly had a shot since or created a chance for anyone else.
Yet he's doing ok?

I haven't seen him show any desire to get into a scoring position since that Norwich away game.
Mind you, I think I've only seen him walk and jog since that game, that is probably a slight exaggeration but, not by much.
I've heard he's very good i the air, especially in the first class seats on a plane.
For such a big unit, he is surprisingly easy to knock over.

Well he needs to bloody shoot to start with. Another game where he didn’t have a shot on target. Unacceptable, he needs to make his chances, especially in our limited team. As was pointed out earlier even Grabban can do this. Kodjia has to start against Watford. Wesley from the bench, come on show us what you can do otherwise you ain’t starting another game.

I agree with you mate but it won't happen, he seems to be Dean's pet project