All time top 11 - goalkeepers & defence | Page 4 | Vital Football

All time top 11 - goalkeepers & defence

McGrath, Laursen ,Evans, but my alltime favourite,I know it makes me appear locked in a time warp Jimmy Dugdale.

Time warp or not, all talk of all our greats and favourites over the years are hugely appreciated clambo!!

John Sleeuwenhoek, even though he did move across the city.
Got a shout here for a player that was predominately a midfielder but, he often moved into the back line for us, I know he wasn't here too long but, here goes with Leighton Phillips.
God, of course.
Ken McNaught.
Chris Nichol.
Alan Evans.
Ian Ross.
Ugo Ehiogu.
Gareth Southgate.

Stan Lynn.
John Gidman.
Charlie Aitken.
Mark Delaney.
Bobby McDonald.
Wilf Bouma.
Stan Staunton.
Colin Gibson.
We had a Portugese rightback Nelson who was pretty good.

Fernando Nelson. He was ok, but I think he was only with us for 2 or 3 seasons and played about 60 games. Not exactly an all time great.

I think the trick is trying to distinguish between our best (in terms of ability), our favourites (in terms of personality), and our legends (in terms of what they actually did for the club. Trophies, appearances, goals etc.)

I'd have Laursen and McInally in on abilty.

I'd have Bouma and Merson in on personality.

But if we're after legends you couldn't realistically include any of them due to lack of appearances and trophies.

Great debate though.

A lot of votes for Delaney which is a fair shout and I do like him, but I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the Scottish Cafu yet.

I think he ticks every box for being a legend. Fan Favourite, loves the club, went through some hard times and fought his way back, the goal vs Blues.

In terms of appearances Hutton and Delaney both played 193 times over 8 seasons, so both very similar but if I had to choose one it's the Scottish Cafu for me.

Didn't Gidman leave just before we won the League and conquered Europe?

So you could argue he was the player who'd been holding us back..... :fish:

Lol. He didn't leave. Lord Ron fell out with him and Andy Gray and sold both of them.

We all thought he had lost the plot , but from the money he created the side that won the league and European cup so as usual he was right.

The fact remains John Gidman was a brilliant player for us.