Birmingham City | Page 6 | Vital Football

Birmingham City

I didn't go, but a few thoughts (from some of the comments on here) -
- the manager isn't responsible for the direction in which the ball is passed.
- a shitty win is far better than a loss despite a great performance (according to many on here in recent seasons)
- parents watching their kids at any sport are (or at least, can be) a destructive element
- players' form is a variable in any game
- we're conceding fewer goals thses days
- detrimental wins are still a phenomena in the eyes of some fans
- Tics fans will always find summat to moan about.

This is just a league one team batting above it’s weight in the championship there is no class at all in this team ...And will always be hard work to stay in this league with the players we have But once again we fail to do to our homework on players we sign Lowe we was told had pace to burn we have yet to see any thing from him and as for Moore we looked far better when we took these 2off

We’re conceding fewer goals because the manager finally woke up and realised that chopping and changing the central defence every week doesn’t work and that in this league you need a consistent pairing together every game. That pairing also inspires confidence in the keeper with Marshall improving as a result. Shame it took the manager so bloody long to realise.

The best player on the pitch last night was that young kid that Birmingham brought on with 5 minutes left. Had he been on from the start, the result would have been different. Morsy and Williams though are establishing a partnership in central midfield, but the players in front of them are just void of any quality bar Windass and Gelhardt.

Massey is back to the L1 player ever since he got his new deal. He hasn’t had a good game this season, though in fairness isn’t alone in this regard.

You see that in football time and time again, when a player is after a new contract the fear / urgency seems to light and fire in them and suddenly turn into a world beater. But once they are signed up they lose that edge and look a shadow of the player.

It's crazy to think that the Massey of L1 and so far this season was the same player that looked so good last season when fit. Some of the other lads haven't performed well this season but Massey's form has fallen off a cliff like no one else - he's completely lost his confidence / mojo. We can talk about style of play not helping him but we were lumping it loads last season and Massey still looked the part and hungry for the ball, yet this year he's not making himself available, showing for the ball or making the runs like he was. We'd be much better putting Lowe on the right as we aren't get anything out of Massey at the moment to justify Lowe being pushed out of position.

I distinctly remember a couple of times when that happened and commented on it to the lads sat next to me at the time, however, honest question Pon, do you genuinely believe that the manager has instructed players to play the ball backwards from the opposition half so that it can be hoofed long ?

Yes, or at least it wouldn't surprise me one iota if he had.

No other tactics on display, so what are we meant to think?

Massey hasn't had a great start to the season but let's not forget his pre-season was blighted by injury and he's trying to get himself back up to speed and back into form. Let's not write him off just yet.

I thought Jamal Lowe linked up well with Windass, Robinson and Moore at times last night and showed very quick feet in some tight situations. Again, lets not write him off just yet after his first 10 games at this level.

- a shitty win is far better than a loss despite a great performance (according to many on here in recent seasons)
- parents watching their kids at any sport are (or at least, can be) a destructive element

" the manager isn't responsible for the direction in which the ball is passed"

Of course he bloody is...Do you think Cook is training/drilling the players all week then on matchdays he allows them to do what they want?

Last night Cook was forever shouting instructions and pointing to were he wanted the players to pass/hoof the ball, sometimes i wish the players would ignore the clown and do their own thing.

Massey hasn't had a great start to the season but let's not forget his pre-season was blighted by injury and he's trying to get himself back up to speed and back into form. Let's not write him off just yet.

I appreciate what you're saying Roy, but Massey was awful from the first minute, your argument would stand up if he got off to a flyer then faded in the second half, but the guy didn't look interested from minute one.

Also..
- The ref (Tim Robinson ) actually had a reasonable game (and not because we won) but he let the game flow , playing advantage when he could and let a few decent tackles go rather blowing up.
- Our support is really shyte in terms of numbers for this level of football.

Also..
- The ref (Tim Robinson ) actually had a reasonable game (and not because we won) but he let the game flow , playing advantage when he could and let a few decent tackles go rather blowing up.

It's always been shite since we got into the Football League.. Before that we were the best supported club in non league football

" the manager isn't responsible for the direction in which the ball is passed"

Of course he bloody is...Do you think Cook is training/drilling the players all week then on matchdays he allows them to do what they want?[.......

I'd have thought Norm that the Manager would have told em that he wants em to keep the ball, and that he doesn't want em to give it away cheaply. Ergo, if that means going sideways or backwards (just like Barca, City, Liverpool, etc,) then so be it.

It's up to the players on the pitch to create space for passes to be made,........ preferably forward ones rather than backward ones,.... but the Manager relies on the players to generate the movement and space.

Simple really.

I'd have thought Norm that the Manager would have told em that he wants em to keep the ball, and that he doesn't want em to give it away cheaply. Ergo, if that means going sideways or backwards (just like Barca, City, Liverpool, etc,) then so be it.

It's up to the players on the pitch to create space for passes to be made,........ preferably forward ones rather than backward ones,.... but the Manager relies on the players to generate the movement and space.

Simple really.

Simple really.

I beg to differ there bro, if you watch Cook closely during games he constantly encourages players especially our defenders to play the long ball, the players don't like it, thats why there is so much bickering and moaning in training, yes the players do that, as well as us lot.

I beg to differ there bro, if you watch Cook closely during games he constantly encourages players especially our defenders to play the long ball, the players don't like it, thats why there is so much bickering and moaning in training, yes the players do that, as well as us lot.

Of course he's always speaking to the players .........not sure he wants em to hoof it though.

Regardless, even if he does, the point was with regard to passing backwards. Why would he want em to pass backwards from an advanced position, just so the defenders can hoof it forwards again?

Are you sure you've thought this through?

:slap:

Of course he's always speaking to the players .........not sure he wants em to hoof it though.

Regardless, even if he does, the point was with regard to passing backwards. Why would he want em to pass backwards from an advanced position, just so the defenders can hoof it forwards again?

“Are you sure you've thought this through?”

I assume you were directing this question to our illustrious manager? Let us face facts. We have some extremely good players, unfortunately some are out on loan due to the fact COOK only plays players he has managed before and cannot manage young players. Due to this fact we will struggle again this season and next of he is allowed to carry on.

Sheffield Wednesday next. A return to the big boot. I hope the directors have a good insurance policy in place when The relatives of Kieffer Moore
Sue the club if the player, God forbid, gets Parkinson’s disease. The FA Have a policy on head injuries, ignoring the evidence gathered over the years highlighting the damage down to the brain by heading the ball.

Cook needs to rethink the only tactic he appears to know.

Sheffield Wednesday. Perhaps we will see the recall of Gary Roberts?

I didnt see Cook objecting to the players launching the ball at every opportunity, he seemed quite happy for it to continue, he obviously didnt ask the players to stop hoofing it because the same thing happened second half.
Oh Hang on....Its been happening for 12 months hasn't it.

Strapworld, I'm flummoxed as to why you think I'd ask a question of Paul Cook on this forum. Do you think one of our posters might be him? It was directed at Norm.

And Norm, you're still making yourself look silly by trying too hard to be overly negative.

The Manager was being criticised for the backpassing from the players
I said he can't be responsible for that
You replied oh yes he can
You then also criticised him for all the hoofing

So, by your account, our game plan is to get the ball forward, then pass it about aimlessly before passing it backward so it can be hoofed forward.

You may well be right. There's a first time for everything.
;)

Also..

Seems fair to mention the referee - probably the best we’ve seen this season. Credit were it’s due.