Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

Arsenal v Aston Villa match thread

I don't think, looking at how we got where we are, we can expect anything other than a bumpy ride. We've put in some good performances, had times where we've faltered, and had some bad luck with decisions. All par for the course.

What I don't think we should be doing is focusing just on the points. I know they matter, but at this stage of the season not too much. We can still be in the bottom 3 at Christmas (I don't think we will) and climb out of it.

There's a lot of good stuff to focus on. In the excerpts I saw from yesterday's match I thought we looked a decent PL team. There's a lot of good coaching going on, and players are improving. Trez seemed to click, maybe for the first time.

Get behind the team. They need support, not doubt. And for the record, Dean Smith will not be going anywhere this season; the club management, owners and DS are as one, they've set a course and they'll stick to it.

Yes JP. It will be interesting to see the line up for the Brighton game re the players you mention. Much to 57s disgust I am somewhat of a Hourihane fan. I know he is almost universally disliked on these pages but I think if played a bit further forward he offers us something.
We have also missed his set-piece delivery massively. I cannot remember seeing us hit the target or a Villa player with a shot or cross from a dead ball in the past four games....

We have also missed his set-piece delivery massively. I cannot remember seeing us hit the target or a Villa player with a shot or cross from a dead ball in the past four games....

Surely Jota could swing a decent ball in from a set piece, SJM or Mings smash one from a free kick? I find it odd that professional footballers cannot rotate set pieces between a few of them and we end up with the same result.

With regards the omission of Luiz, you can only assume Smith is picking on what he see's in training.

If Hourihane and Lansbury are training better than Luiz then it's only right they get the nod ahead of him. It's kind of what we've all be asking for for years, picking on form/merit rather than price tag and reputation.

I'm glad the manager is brave enough to make decisions like that. Now we see how Luiz responds. Does he sulk, or knuckle down and work harder in training and put in a performance in the cup tomorrow?

With regards the omission of Luiz, you can only assume Smith is picking on what he see's in training.

If Hourihane and Lansbury are training better than Luiz then it's only right they get the nod ahead of him. It's kind of what we've all be asking for for years, picking on form/merit rather than price tag and reputation.

I'm glad the manager is brave enough to make decisions like that. Now we see how Luiz responds. Does he sulk, or knuckle down and work harder in training and put in a performance in the cup tomorrow?

:agree:

Yes JP. It will be interesting to see the line up for the Brighton game re the players you mention. Much to 57s disgust I am somewhat of a Hourihane fan. I know he is almost universally disliked on these pages but I think if played a bit further forward he offers us something.

should a gone to spec savers

funny thing is as soon as we fail people want Hourihane back in, yet the only games we've got points in this season he didn't play in.
Unless we ditch these wingers and play an extra man in midfield or drop SJM or Jack I don't see how we fit him in? perhaps left-back where even I think he'd be more useful than Taylor

funny thing is as soon as we fail people want Hourihane back in, yet the only games we've got points in this season he didn't play in.
Unless we ditch these wingers and play an extra man in midfield or drop SJM or Jack I don't see how we fit him in? perhaps left-back where even I think he'd be more useful than Taylor

Who wants Hourihane back?

I'm probably his biggest fan but even I don't want that. I think Nakamba, Jack and John can grow into something a little bit special and I'd be hoping Luiz improves too.

Still love Conor and he's a great option to have but i don't see the clamour to get him back into the side that you seem to be claiming.

Wow 57, you must really hate Taylor if you’re suggesting Hourihane as his replacement!
The only point that has been made in Hourihane’s favour is the fact that our set piece delivery has been abysmal in his absence. That’s not a call to have him put into the team, just statement of fact. I challenge anyone to tell me of a solitary dangerous moment we’ve created from set pieces in the past four games.
Liverpool, the top team in the country, beat Chelski 2-1 yesterday. Both goals from set pieces.
What should be happening is Grealish, McGinn, Luiz, Trezeguet, Jota, ElGhazi and Marvelous should all be grabbing two bags of balls after every training session and spending an hour a day working on their set piece delivery. It’s the type of training that turned Beckham from an average player into a Real Madrid player.

Who wants Hourihane back?

I'm probably his biggest fan but even I don't want that. I think Nakamba, Jack and John can grow into something a little bit special and I'd be hoping Luiz improves too.

Still love Conor and he's a great option to have but i don't see the clamour to get him back into the side that you seem to be claiming.

Trust me I was replying to Wittonite.