Who next? | Page 71 | Vital Football

Who next?

Funny, that, as a lot of Stags fans online are blaming Hymas for promoting Dempster (would never be Big John's fault...)

Pleased we have only been rejected by Gareth, it seems. Flynn been rejected by us. I feel it might well be Appleton. Very much unsure about him, mainly because I trust Luke Imp and he is dead set against him!
They cannot afford to sack him and appoint a new manager. Therefore the sideways move. Anyway, the point is that we didn't go in for the Exeter manager

Just for interest....just had conversation with work colleague whose son is part of Mansfield's academy. It was Mansfield who approached Exeter as they are moving Dempster back to youth team as he is out of his depth. Nothing to do with Lincoln. Regardless of their defeat, Radford was looking for replacement before tonight's game and Taylor was first choice.
And stands to reason that they may well have been talking to Flynn as well...????

Haha, behave!

Not dead set against him, his record outside Oxford is pretty poor although having read one of the articles posted on here about him, it seems Oxford was the only stable Club he managed (although I'd question why he opted for Blackpool and Blackburn because everyone knew their situations at the time).

Didn't realise he was at Portsmouth when they went into Admin, mind. That explains that one.

Might be worth listening to some of that not the top 20 podcast. Think desperately looking for a job with Portsmouth in a mess (70 percent budget cut) was part of it, it was before it totally went downhill with Oyston (Holloway seemed to fit / hold it all together, but all those clubs went right down after Appleton left so weren't exactly fertile ground). I guess pinch of salt as he's defending his own record.

Tbh I thought he was a journey man but having read more, seems to be fairly progressive, plays decent football. Threads on Oxford forum very encouraging. Rumour in away end was that he'd been seen tonight but God knows.

But yeah, I didn't hear about that interview. Anyone got a link to it (apologies if I've missed it in this thread)?

Quote from Ainsworth tonight:
"I want to manage in the Championship, that is every manager’s next step, but my preferred option is to do it with Wycombe."

So I am wondering with Appleton becoming a favourite on some of the bookies whether that’s down to people hearing his name and lumping it on him or is he actually in the frame for the job!?

Massively unsure on Appleton, but what do I know.
As his name was first mentioned, likewise - but reading more about him (there's some interesting stuff on line, some with links in this thread) he comes over as thoughtful and innovative, some of his managerial/coaching moves have been unlucky (or bad choices) and his longest stint, at Oxford, is cleary well thought of by their supporters.

Like a few others on here, I'm being converted from a sceptic and would be happy if he's the choice. Like a few on here, I was also happy with Tilson - but selection and infrastructure is quite different from those days and I can't see Clive and co making an appointment with the unresolved issues surrounding Tilson.

i repeat,fantastic player and brave with it.Decent radio analyst and the best on radio Lincolnshire......wouldn`t be difficult.
chance of getting the job
bob hope and no hope.
so much for the succession planning............at this rate Father Christmas night appear in the betting,with Rudolph as assistant.
We seriously need new blood in at the top not this play the same way
2 wins in last 8.
what is Akinde doing on the bench?

Have we got any odds on the Father Christmas/Rudolph dream team?
Would Rudolph be dear ?

appleton was in league one with portsmouth. when blackpool came calling portsmouth were in admin, fighting their second successive season of 10 pt deductions - blackpool were a top championship club at the time [previous 3 seasons - playoff winners/premiership/playoff losers] why wouldn't he take that job?

he explains his reasoning for taking the blackburn job in the podcast.

oxford. 3 full seasons. first season 13th. then promotion, then they finished 8th in L1. plenty of cup wins.

then gets assistant manager's job at leicester. [premier league experience]
n.b. leicester kept him as caretaker when they sacked his boss.
also kept him after the new guy puel took over.
which probably means he was respected at leicester.

deemed good enough to be assistant to the WBA temporary boss as recently as the end of last season [top end championship + play offs experience].
kept on by bilic (albeit as under 23 coach) this season.
which probably means he is respected at wba.

in work.
has promotion on cv.
managed in L2, L1, Championship + assistant at prem level.
managed under budget constraints.
has shown ability to manage and to act as assistant. ie. can listen as well as manage.
works with and brings on young players.
has all the badges.
43 - young enough to invigorate the club, but with loads of experience.
kind of fits our succession plan.

very interesting story about how he empowered the players at oxford in the interviews

downside: played 10 games for grimsby.

there seems to be lots to like. why do some people not rate him?

We're not after Taylor it's the staggies, Lady penelope isn't happy.
Apologies if this has mentioned already.