Huddersfield Town | Page 40 | Vital Football

Huddersfield Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think a lot of the moaning about money was a tactic to deter greedy clubs, players and agents from trying to get us to pay over the odds.

There is no way they weren't backed reasonably well this summer. The squad they assembled is very much competitive for this league, which is why I'm so disappointed that they didn't stay to see how far they could get with us.

I still think a lot of the moaning about money was a tactic to deter greedy clubs, players and agents from trying to get us to pay over the odds.

There is no way they weren't backed reasonably well this summer. The squad they assembled is very much competitive for this league, which is why I'm so disappointed that they didn't stay to see how far they could get with us.

Yep, smells a bit. Maybe they panicked? Losing four in five despite playing well in three of them, maybe they thought that the best the team could do was lose valiantly, and LCFC would end up mid-table looking over their shoulder. Maybe they felt it was time to get going while the offers were still there, there were still bags of cash to be made, and Huddersfield's was the best offer still available.

LCFC was backing them to the very last minute, and they were hard at work. I'd suggest bringing Connolly and Hesketh in from Premier League clubs is not something an L1 club does when it is waiting for its manager to do one, or something a manager in that position would have pursued so relentlessly - although the window closing does get in the way of that theory a little. Nevertheless, I reckon how it all ended was a surprise to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
stuck the link up. clanfordimp....it`s gonna piss some people but no one is forced to watch
https://www.htafc.com/news/2019/september/behind-the-scenes-at-the-cowleys-session/

Cheers for that mate as I think it gives a real insight at the level of intensity the Cowley's work at.
Of course we are all Imps but we have lost 2 guys who have turned this club from literally being on its arse into a club which has its pride and passion back.
Yes there are bitter people who have turned on them just because they have chosen to further their career at another club but that's football.
Danny and Nicky Cowley have given, particularly the older generation, moments and occasions that we thought we would never see in our lifetime. Something I will be eternally grateful for and wish them nothing but the best of luck in their future careers.

Of course the other theory is they've been waiting to jump ship for a very long time, and they were off at the first opportunity that matched their criteria.

Cheers for that mate as I think it gives a real insight at the level of intensity the Cowley's work at.
Of course we are all Imps but we have lost 2 guys who have turned this club from literally being on its arse into a club which has its pride and passion back.
Yes there are bitter people who have turned on them just because they have chosen to further their career at another club but that's football.
Danny and Nicky Cowley have given, particularly the older generation, moments and occasions that we thought we would never see in our lifetime. Something I will be eternally grateful for and wish them nothing but the best of luck in their future careers.

Much of this bitterness is not about them leaving, rather how and when they left.

Much of this bitterness is not about them leaving, rather how and when they left.
I don't think Clive, the board and supporters have helped with this, not in a bad way though. Initially Danny was always saying he would go when he couldn't add any more value or when he thought we were at the limit of our potential. Since the board kept backing him and the supporters kept growing I think he's had to change that to the perfect opportunity instead and that's always going to be up for debate depending on how you measure it.

I don't think Clive, the board and supporters have helped with this, not in a bad way though. Initially Danny was always saying he would go when he couldn't add any more value or when he thought we were at the limit of our potential. Since the board kept backing him and the supporters kept growing I think he's had to change that to the perfect opportunity instead and that's always going to be up for debate depending on how you measure it.

I suspect at the heart of the bitterness for some is that Danny and Nicky clearly felt they had taken us as far as they could and when an opportunity arose they took it whereas some of the fans clearly thought they hadn't taken us as far as they could...

An interesting hypothesis. I don't think we'll ever know, unless they cover it in their memoirs.

One thing I think we can say with some certainty, though, is that "The Journey" was definitively *not* (and still isn't) over at LCFC. I have little doubt that if the Cowleys had stayed, they would have been able to make a shot at a top 6 finish and had an outside chance of another promotion.

I suspect at the heart of the bitterness for some is that Danny and Nicky clearly felt they had taken us as far as they could and when an opportunity arose they took it whereas some of the fans clearly thought they hadn't taken us as far as they could...

See above, I'm one of those in the latter category! No bitterness, though.

Last edited:
Whereas I suspect the reality of what life in League 1 will look like will set in around Xmas...

It's a counter-factual now: the Cowleys aren't here anymore.

Do I think we had a good chance? Not remotely. Do I think we had *a* chance? Yes.

But we'll never know because the Cowleys left without giving it a full season in L1.

I expected them to give it that 1 season, and I think, so did you mate.

As I said, not remotely bitter about it, or even when/how they left. But I think if you got DC/NC off the record, I reckon they'd admit they still had a chance of another promotion with us, however slim.

Last edited:
An interesting hypothesis. I don't think we'll ever know, unless they cover it in their memoirs.

One thing I think we can say with some certainty, though, is that "The Journey" was definitively *not* (and still isn't) over at LCFC. I have little doubt that if the Cowleys had stayed, they would have been able to make a shot at a top 6 finish and had an outside chance of another promotion.

Said before I wish them all the best. However, exactly this, the journey was not over and still able to add value. Difficult to understand.

It's a counter-factual now: the Cowleys aren't here anymore.

Do I think we had a good chance? Not remotely. Do I think we had *a* chance? Yes.

But we'll never know because the Cowleys left without giving it a full season in L1.

I expected them to give it that 1 season, and I think, so did you mate.

As I said, not remotely bitter about it, or even when/how they left. But I think if you got DC/NC off the record, I reckon they'd admit they still had a chance of another promotion with us, however slim.
That perfectly matches my views with the exception that the new manager still has 'a' chance and therefore the chance to prove the Cowleys could have done so as well.

I agree- Huddersfield Town thread is again number 1 tonight.

Let it go- I am no more interested in their dealings at Huddersfield than I am Greeny at Grimsby- I may read an article in a paper or online but I certainly won't be looking for them.

The future is forwards not backwards. Done now. Move on.

Yes lets but this thread to bed now and concentrate on our team team now, not past managers.

That perfectly matches my views with the exception that the new manager still has 'a' chance and therefore the chance to prove the Cowleys could have done so as well.

I also just about think that. Although you'd assume, initially at least, a reduced chance given the point at which the new manager will be taking over and the fact we know the Cowleys were genuinely exceptional.

I'd go with "slim to none" for this season and would be entirely happy with mid-table.

I also just about think that. Although you'd assume, initially at least, a reduced chance given the point at which the new manager will be taking over and the fact we know the Cowleys were genuinely exceptional.

I'd go with "slim to none" for this season and would be entirely happy with mid-table.
Is slim to none the equilivent of Ipswich, Brighton or Burnley though.

Status
Not open for further replies.