Huddersfield Town | Page 38 | Vital Football

Huddersfield Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a really interesting one given the enormous Bury thread and other discussions about finance.

I thought I'd have a quick look myself.

The guy has made his money from the highly moral field of Personal Injury claims, but fair play to him he set up his own firm in 2001 and sold it for £14m six years ago.

He then set up the Pure Claims business with a bewildering number of different limited companies for a relatively small concern, only three of them appear to be of any size at all:

Pure Legal Ltd - £5m turnover in 2018, £3m loss!
Pure Legal Costs Consultants - T/o under £2m, broke even in 2018
Pryers Solicitors - £4m turnover in 2018, small loss

Pryers is a solicitors firm in York that he acquired for £13m in December 2015 and hadn't turned a profit by March 2018.

I can't find any other business of his that is actually trading.

Back in 2015 a Law journal wrote " He (Hodgkinson) is targeting the acquisition of four businesses that will create a firm of 300 people with a turnover of £30m if they all complete"

I can't see that by March 2018 he had businesses with a combined turnover of much more than around £10m, and even those were reporting losses.

You could maybe run his previous club, Southport, on that, but not a football league club.

By comparison, Alan Hardy's business had a turnover of around £70m.

For some reason the ownership of Huddersfield Town is in the name of Pure Sports Consultancy Ltd, a company which was incorporated in 2015 and has never traded.

It's curious to be sure.

Moral business of personal injury claims? Promoting and facilitating insurance fraud?

Nope. I’m one of those fans who found his constant bleating about his budget for the last 6 months of his tenure really irritating, and one of those fans who wonders if he really has been totally committed to Lincoln for the last 5 months and not planning his exit strategy. You confident he was 100% committed on Saturday, given he’d already made his mind up to leave? You confident our preparations for Wycombe weren’t slightly derailed by his negotiations with Huddersfield during the week.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m eternally grateful for everything he did, but for me the way he left has tarnished it some what. Fuck ‘em. We move on.

That's the lack of commitment that saw the imps briefly achieve the highest league position since my 25th birthday (I'm over 60) , took us to another thrilling night against higher level oppostion at a packed Sincil Bank?

The slump in results since perhaps a counterbalance but we lost a couple of games we should at least have drawn. Wycombe probably the only one I'd question and we now knoe that really was the perfect storm.

But tarnished? No way Jose. (He's free, btw)

It's a really interesting one given the enormous Bury thread and other discussions about finance.

I thought I'd have a quick look myself.

The guy has made his money from the highly moral field of Personal Injury claims, but fair play to him he set up his own firm in 2001 and sold it for £14m six years ago.

He then set up the Pure Claims business with a bewildering number of different limited companies for a relatively small concern, only three of them appear to be of any size at all:

Pure Legal Ltd - £5m turnover in 2018, £3m loss!
Pure Legal Costs Consultants - T/o under £2m, broke even in 2018
Pryers Solicitors - £4m turnover in 2018, small loss

Pryers is a solicitors firm in York that he acquired for £13m in December 2015 and hadn't turned a profit by March 2018.

I can't find any other business of his that is actually trading.

Back in 2015 a Law journal wrote " He (Hodgkinson) is targeting the acquisition of four businesses that will create a firm of 300 people with a turnover of £30m if they all complete"

I can't see that by March 2018 he had businesses with a combined turnover of much more than around £10m, and even those were reporting losses.

You could maybe run his previous club, Southport, on that, but not a football league club.

By comparison, Alan Hardy's business had a turnover of around £70m.

For some reason the ownership of Huddersfield Town is in the name of Pure Sports Consultancy Ltd, a company which was incorporated in 2015 and has never traded.

It's curious to be sure.
one of the other lads on here pointed to the charge sitting on HTFC at COMPANIES hOUSE,
This charge is £52 million owed to the previous owner Dean Hoyle who needs to be repaid,probably by drip feeding funds from the parachute payments.
So Potless Phil as he is called on the HTFC forum is effectively a puppet owner who needs to service the charge to the previous owner and maintain the finances within the football club.
Of late they have been moving players out on loan and selling players to cut overheads..........More of this in January?
Hoyle obviously couldn`t find a buyer to recompense him in full so this stooge is sitting in the driving seat,cutting costs and awaiting parachute cheques as an interim measure.
To me Hoyle still owns the club and htfc have incurred high wage costs which are reducing at every window.If they fail to get back to the Prem. then they might be in the brown stuff

I looked at Pure at Companies house and there wasn`t a lot of dosh floating about as you did too.
Conclusion: parachute payments can become your nightmare or saviour!

Have to say the way the Cowleys left was disappointing. If Hortin was right about hearing of interest as early as Friday night, they probably shouldn't have been in charge of Saturdays game.

Saying that, one piece of negativity should not come close to overruling 3 great years of success. I for one would hate to look back upon this period with bitterness just based on their exits. Left us In our best position in at least 20 years, but now time to look forward and hope our new manager can continue the good work.

I'm sure we'll all be keeping an eye on the huddersfield score this weekend
Honestly, really couldn’t give a rats arse. I’ll wish the guys well for a result, but I’ll not be checking to see what happened. Of no interest to me. I’ll much rather continue celebrating an Imps win from Saturday!

Absolutely spot on, although no tarnishing for me, they did a great job and now all parties move on in different directions, but all parting with exponential improvement of finance and league position.

I have to say, however, I have had concerns for some time regarding the public lambasting of the supposed inadequate budget by DC. Without knowing his motives for making these statements publicly, and without any factual knowledge, my view is that our current and previous squads have certainly not come "on the cheap" and that the windfall position that the Cowleys now find themselves in is equally and severally attributable to the unswerving support of Clive Nates and co.

Finally, I understand that there are a proportion of Lincoln City fans that have no knowledge of life before Cowley (BC) however I can assure them that some of my most treasured memories were certainly BC, and while that is no attempt to diminish the magnitude of their achievements, let us all remember that the football club holds more meaning to us all than one manager, player, chairman, tealady, etc. etc., and to be fair,this is a point fully acknowledged by DC himself.

My gut feel is that this is the perfect time for change. The new management team have an already talented squad to work with, a potentially larger budget for January........and a fanatical fanbase.

UTI
Great summing up. Perfectly true, I hold many treasured memories of the Imps, some before the Cowleys and some during their tenure. Next Chapter starts here. What new memories await? Can’t wait to find out!

It would be interesting to see if the financial situation is another Bolton/Bury in waiting. There seems to be more questions than answers with respect to this matter for a number of clubs, currently.

What exactly is due diligence? How is it applied? I do think that it is likely that more questions around ownership or pseudo ownership are likely to unfold in the near future amongst a myriad of clubs in the EFL.

So! No pressure to get this team of whippet botherers back into to golden cash riddled world of the 'best' league in the world then?

Conclusion: parachute payments can become your nightmare or saviour!

The charge is interesting, could mean Dean Hoyle knows the owner doesn't have the means to pay him, maybe he'll just allow the loan to run.

With regards to parachute payments, I can think of only two clubs whose owners have used those to run at a profit, Hull and Blackpool. Of the latter, nothing needs to be said, and as for Hull City Tigers, their owner had already decided to generate profits the last time they were promoted (although Marco Silva almost kept them up).

Aston Villa were rescued at the 11th hour after Tony Xia practically broke them, whilst everyone else has had a mad scramble to drastically reduce costs. Sometimes, like Norwich, you can get a bit lucky. Stoke were meant to be the best placed of the recently relegated with their fairly long stay in the PL and very rich owner.

When Newcastle United achieved promotion back at the first attempt it was because the much maligned Mike Ashley spent a lot of money to do so. Newcastle lost £46m that season, with a huge wages spend, a net transfer outlay, and Ashley had to loan Newcastle £15m to cover the costs.

Fair points r.e. DC and the budget talk. I said as much during pre-season. The squad certainly doesn't have a feel of a cheap one.

Not listened to Hortin and Makepeace in the above video but it'll be interesting to hear their comments on their interaction with DC since the summer.

Fair points r.e. DC and the budget talk. I said as much during pre-season. The squad certainly doesn't have a feel of a cheap one.

Not listened to Hortin and Makepeace in the above video but it'll be interesting to hear their comments on their interaction with DC since the summer.
Yeah they said he wasn't the same with them.
Always on about the budget but saying that we have live within our means. Seemed grumpier etc

Yeah they said he wasn't the same with them.
Always on about the budget but saying that we have live within our means. Seemed grumpier etc
I wonder if he the board said no to them, probably had all their own way before and maybe weren't used to it

He'd bemoan the lack of cash and then say he didn’t want us to end like Bolton and Bury, odd

There are a few of us that think he succumbed to the madness of King George some time ago. He had marched up to the boardroom in a tizzy many a time bemoaning the pitch was too dry, even though it had lashed it down with rain.

Not forgetting he insisted on the watering of the pitch whilst it was absolutely belting down before we played Fleetwood.

The first public signs of this madness were the play-off semi at Exeter, when we should have had a penalty. So should have Exeter...when Waterfall blatantly handballed it. Then the most public ones were Watergate against Carlisle and Exeter at home when he bit off Rob Makepeace's head. He only mentioned that it was a terrible performance....which the vast majority of those in attendance agreed with.

He also bit off Rob's head in the Donny one. Obviously he thought that Radio Lincs were Pravda.

He used to never criticise referees. Saying that they had a difficult job and that he wouldn't do it. It became par for the course in the second part of his tenure.

Just watched a Huddesfield training session with the Cowley's microphoned up.
Very intense and thorough session with great enthusiasm from the brothers and they new the names of every single player which isn't bad when consider they have been there a couple of days.
I know most people dont give a monkeys now but I just found it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.