Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa, Sat 31st Aug, 3pm | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa, Sat 31st Aug, 3pm

3 points every 4 games over a 38 game period, do the math. (Slightly better than Fulham) Not as bad as 2015 but still 14 points shy of safety even then West Ham went down once with that number. Put it another way we need 11 wins and 5/6 draws from the last 34 games which means we have to win 32% of our remaining matches and be undeafeated for 50% assuming we do.

Last edited:
Jesus fucking H Christ, the speed of the knees being jerked on here.

What happened to judge it after 10 games?!

All I see is a reality check of how competitive the PL is, especially with a brand new team.

It’s going to be a long tough season, as it was always going to be.

Dean Smith will be back at work on Monday and will take all of the minus points from the game and work on them with the players. He certainly will not be dwelling on the disallowed goal and getting all bitter about "how we was robbed". Trez will be taken to one side and his performance and sending off will be discussed. Luiz will be shown how he should be pushing up further and Jota will be expected to get back to cover. Hause will be tried in the LB berth to see if that makes the defence stronger. They will have to work out how to do without two wingers (especially now Trez is suspended) and bolster the midfield. The trying of two up top with Keinan and Wesley will be explored.

Now all of the above seems to be hypothetical - but this is what coaches do and DS is a bloody good coach (and has good back up staff). He took a few games to get things sorted last season and in the bad run, there were calls for him to be removed. Once he sorted it out, we went on the great run. I do appreciate that the PL isn't the Championship, but we will learn and we have to accept that.

It was a bad result and a poor performance but we will get better - especially away from home. So let's not get too down hearted and carry on the debate about the goal that never was. At the risk of quoting a previous manager - "we go again" and we will be back to try again. We must also accept that Bodymoor Heath is a learning facility and Dean Smith is a bloody good teacher.

Lots of things I've noticed over the 4 games more bad than good to be fair.
I never sit on the fence or go with the flow to impress anyone one here.

Dean has been playing the side most people wanted or thought was the best we could put out, it currently isn't anywhere near good enough.
I think Heaton is a blessing, Mings obviously is looking the part, Jack is far too deep to hurt anyone and SJM is for some reason seen as some sort of inside forward rather than a midfield work horse/dynamo. Engels looks ok to be fair too.

The rest well let's just say not yet impressed me.

Trez I really think he's an owners choice, can't believe we've scouted him independently sorry. Absolutely no end product other than 50m Egyptians buying Villa kit

Freddy good bombing forwards but.........

Taylor is shite, Hause, as I said all during our good run, is a better all-round player by a mile time for him to come in

Douglas looks good but is he really a defensive midfielder, not in the true sense of that role he isn't. Marvelous is I hope, but watching him at Crewe I have to go against the grain here I thought he didn't stand out at all to me. That's me being kind by the way.

Wesley, I just don't see the raving about him if I'm honest, looks a big lumbering lump with potential if he learns the English game, I think we are guilty of rose-tinted specs here because he's Brazilian and cost £22m he must be good and fair play we are all looking for the good but he's not making it easy to find .
Davis is just as good or bad depends how you look at it. I don't think he'd be getting the same tolerance. Keinan or Koj would be getting dogs abuse playing as Wes has so far.

Jota very skilful but too lightweight otherwise he good just not big enough.

El Ghazi, he's a fanny isn't he, I really can't say anything else, flashes of brilliance and flashes of a daydreamer .

Looking at the bench it's as weak as piss Hourihane comes on when we are down to 10 men I mean WTF Dean are you thinking? Stick Konsa in there FFS.

There is no answer other than to stick it out at the moment as we can't really change much, can we?

UTV

I have to question whether we were too open at 10 men.

Worked against Rotherham away. But this is a different beast, Palace away .

Difficult one. We want to see attacking football but their goal was a bit breakaway if my memory is correct. Naive with 10 men.
Lesson learned by Deano ?
Have to disagree Melon cause the result SHOULD have been 1-1

He and mighty mings let ayew through for the goal too. Had to be him who scored....
Have you actually looked at that incident? From my recollection the ball pinged about, took a bounce of Mings's chest and put Ayew through. Nobody screwed up and put Ayew through. Once again we were unlucky with the bounce of the ball.

And BTW . The Konsa song is a fcuking embarrassment.

Singing about jager and a black mans penis at a football match ffs . What the hell is going on . Its borderline and not acceptable

Just to clarify by borderline. I mean borderline racism as I presume the inference is black man so must have a huge penis.
Its really not on to have thousands chanting this.

11 wins needed and a couple draws
Brighton , Norwich, Newcastle, Watford H&A we need wins that's 8
Palace H, Bournemouth A, West Ham H , that's 11.
Draws v wolves , Leicester, Sheff Utd A
Oh and beat Sheff U H .

Have to disagree Melon cause the result SHOULD have been 1-1
I have said previously that we are WAY too open. Two wide men in this league is a luxury. No point Jack scratching around doing the donkey work.He and sjm need to play more up top.Connor merits a chance but overall we need to calm down. Deano will sort out his best starting 11 and as ever,time will tell.

To clear up whether Friend blew up or not for the Grealish incident at 9'29" this video clearly shows him waiting until he sees Lansbury is going to shoot and then blowing. It's best viewed at 1/4 speed.

Just to clarify by borderline. I mean borderline racism as I presume the inference is black man so must have a huge penis.
Its really not on to have thousands chanting this.
My mate Sam who is Jamaican has a small penis, can not dance and is a great swimmer. He has told this numerous times to potential racists and always breaks the ice

Last edited:
I did read somewhere else that after Lambert reported Friend to the FA he never officiated another Villa game for 2 years?

Add to that who do you think was the fourth official that witnessed right in front of him the most blatant and disgusting stamping on Jack Grealish's leg in the playoff final against Fulham 2018?.............Yes, of course, it was Villa hater? and utterly incompetent referee Kevin Friend.

Did someone mention earlier he may have a hidden agenda against us that isn't so hidden anymore:unsure:

Time for the club to report the fraud to the FA again and keep him away from Villa games.

Mind you every one of the PremierLeague refs are totally incompetent as well. - We have gone from having some of the best refs in Europe to easily now having the worst.

Last edited:
What else is there to say? Have to agree that our strength is Heaton, Mings & Engels. McGinn and Jack are ineffective at present, Wesley does not look the part...mainly because I'm not sure what part he is trying to be. He is not an out and out striker, so what is the plan? Wingers are too weak and are incapable of running on past Wesley and the fullbacks are a combination of a tryer and a reasonable defender who gets a nose bleed when over the half way line. Luiz is off the pace.

I'm surprised that Elmo was out yesterday..OK he is noth special BUT he does communicate with Trezeguet and he is experienced. Freddie will come good in time but at this point of the season we need to be building a base, not trying to take other teams to the cleaners... we aren't good enough.

I agree that Davis is as good as Wesley at present but does not score enough goals. So over to DS and Co..admit your system is not working and tweak it.

Just to rub it in Callum Robinson and Enda Stephens both looked decent on MOTD...no more to say.

Apparently Lamberk reported Friend after our defeat to Chelsea. Article posted on Twitter, very funny comment added to the article saying if Friend doesn't get home to find Terry in bed with Friends missus he will be deeply disappointed

I would guess Friend is just incompetent rather than a grudge-bearer from years ago. End of, and I hope the authorities act to make VAR what it’s meant to be, a righter of blatant wrongs.
We didn’t play well but I’m not writing off anyone, far too early. It’s up to the coaching staff to get the best out of us and I think there is a lack of control in midfield with the two supers finding the going tough on their own.
I hope there was no complacency after 2 wins because we are going to have to play cup final effort standards to get anything from theses games.