Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm | Page 26 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Bournemouth, Sat 17th August, 3pm

Yeah I agree and I'm not writing Wesley off either btw but he needs to start getting to grips sooner than later, Jota is a bit of concern because he just can't seem to play with the flow, he has misplaced a heck of a lot of passes and gets dispossessed quite easily, needs some cup game runs I think, but I think a lot of problems lie with the formation.

I have a solution what I think would help us, a 4141 with top man Wesley (ST), Elmo (RM), Jack (RCM), SJM (LCM), Trezeget (LM), Luiz (CDM), Freddy (RB) Engles (RCB), Mings (LCB), Target (LB), Heaton (GK)

Yeah, I don't know if Elmo is the solution but I'd be happy to see El Ghazi on the bench. I think Jota probably needs more than 10 minutes at the end to make an impact.

Vital we get points on the board asap to settle everyone down, supporters and players alike. One of the main concerns for me lies in the full back conundrum. After spending so much this summer I'm amazed we've started both games with Elmo and Taylor, two positions most of us thought was a priority in terms of strengthening. Whilst both have done ok in both games they should be back up options surely? If they're getting the shirt because they're currently better than Guilbert and Targett that's a worry because if that continues over the course of the season we all know they'll be exposed. I know pre season games dont mean much and we dont know what goes on in training etc but I thought we saw enough from Guilbert to suggest he warranted a starting place. To be honest I wasnt overly impressed with Targett but still thought he'd get the nod over Taylor. Both full backs purchased, whoever's they were, should be better than Elmo and Taylor. They may prove to be and we know that they'll improve over time within our coaching set up as Taylor has to be fair but they really should be good enough to have the shirt now, not in a few months time.

A strange thing I heard RO'K say the other day is Jota is, not the normal sort of winger they'd go for?
So why was he the first player they bought?

The fullback situation is very worrying, I really thought we'd done our homework and brought in two replacements.
The only thing I can think is that it's a case of Smith trying not to upset all last seasons players and the famous team spirit, well team spirit comes when you're winning the bickering starts when you're losing.

I thought the full backs were the wrong decision - Guilbert and Targett are the better players.

This is why we bought them so very confused.

We could only go into this season with Wesley as our main ( only ) striker, if he was top top drawer and I haven’t seen anything in him yet.

We knew it was going to be tough, but can’t help feel we haven’t helped ourselves in these areas.

I feel very flat with the start but hopefully Friday it clicks.

Having watched MOTD I have no idea what on earth Heaton was thinking. King was close to the byline with a defender between him and goal but Heaton rushes out and clatters him!! Terrible error from an experienced player.
Ming's had King covered, so there was no need for Heaton to come to the ball. Maybe he was carried away by the moment. Do remember that Villa Park is an intimidating place to play - and maybe some of our new guys got swept up in the emotion.

You can see they're all wanting to impress. This is just teething problems and I'm positive this will settle as players grow into their roles.

I'm also sure we will see more introductions of the new players very soon. They have now had a few weeks together and will be champing at the bit.

Give Luiz more match time and he will be real quality. Having watched the replay now I believe he thought SJ was behind him for the dummy. Wesley tried harder yesterday, but, I don't see a ton of goals coming from him. Both full backs were poor yesterday, Taylor not bad defensively but dreadful going forward. Trezeguet looks well off Premiership pace.