Kyle Walker Peters - Player Thread | Vital Football

Kyle Walker Peters - Player Thread

Spursex

Alert Team
Spurs full-back Walker-Peters knows game time is key to improvement

PUBLISHED: 09:00 07 August 2019

George Sessions

More here: https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/sport/foo...ker-peters-tottenham-hotspur-chance-1-6202681

Tottenham Hotspur defender Kyle Walker-Peters admits training only helps develop you to a certain extent, he knows now is the time for him to kick on and play regularly in the first-team.

It feels like the pathway has cleared for the 22-year-old to finally get a shot at being a mainstay in the Spurs side.

Since his Premier League debut at Newcastle United in August 2017, the right-back has rarely featured under Mauricio Pochettino, but he looks set to start the campaign opener at home to Aston Villa on Saturday.

With Serge Aurier still working his way back to fitness after a hand issue and Juan Foyth suspended and now injured for the rest of this month, the Lilywhites academy graduate has been presented with a golden opportunity and an overdue one according to some.

"Game time is the only way you are going to improve," Walker-Peters admitted, after Sunday's 1-1 draw with Inter Milan.

"Training helps to a certain extent, but with game time you get used to the intensity, playing against top teams. Ultimately I want to play as many minutes as possible, but training will help me."

Overall, Walker-Peters has featured 19 times for Spurs in all competitions, yet hardly any have been back-to-back.

He did come on against Leicester in December and then start in the Camp Nou for a Champions League clash with Barcelona, which proved a real baptism of fire.

At fault for the game's opener after seven minutes, Walker-Peters improved as the group fixture wore on and did in the end make 10 outings for Tottenham last season, one better than the nine he made in the 2017/18 campaign.

"I used the previous seasons to learn from those players, watching them play and training with them has only helped me get better," he said. "Competing against them is hard, they are top players but I have learned a lot from them."

Following a tough summer, where Walker-Peters faced Juventus, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Inter Milan, he feels ready for the Premier League to get underway.

The Londoner added: "I am feeling fit, it has been a tough pre-season, we have played some top opposition. But it is all positive, it helps you get ready for the first game of the season."

He continued: "It is down to the manager, it is down to him who plays (against Aston Villa) and if I get the opportunity I have got to take it. I am quite calm at the moment and we will see what happens."

Many expected Walker-Peters to leave in search of regular first-team football during the summer, but he remains at the club and is ready to help Tottenham and their fans enjoy more success and create memories, like they did in the Champions League.

"We are as confident as every other season," he said. "We have got a good spirit, everyone works hard for the team, so we are confident we will go into games and do well."

Last edited by a moderator:
Season too late on the loan front.

One of those transfers that is best all round if it is done.

Season too late on the loan front.

One of those transfers that is best all round if it is done.

I'll be very surprised if it happens. Only a few weeks ago I was being told we (the club) believed he was ready to step up and make the grade.

But what the hell, nothing would surprise me today.

Sorry to say the lad is too prone to being bullied.

It’s not just the fact opposition teams target him. It’s also the fact he doesn’t have the strength in himself to not be ‘used’ by his fellow defenders. He wasn’t just a million miles away from the wide man for inter every single time they spread the ball. He was shackled to the middle to protect the centre halves and had to do double the running to close the space. Either this is being coached into him as the setup of the team, the centre half is bullying him into it, or he is intentionally allowing it to happen. I am comfortable with the fact an opposition can target a player like this. I am not comfortable with the fact we as a defensive unit and team can’t adapt to it. In comparison the left back was having none of these issues.

I know it’s all down to coaching but this isn’t a young kid. The 2 full backs at Liverpool are young lads and battle hardened. I am sick of seeing pussy fullbacks. Trippier was one. For all his brain farts Walker was a strong minded and strong physical man. Rose would tell anyone where to go if he thought they were taking liberties. Walker peters looks scared.

S
Sorry to say the lad is too prone to being bullied.

It’s not just the fact opposition teams target him. It’s also the fact he doesn’t have the strength in himself to not be ‘used’ by his fellow defenders. He wasn’t just a million miles away from the wide man for inter every single time they spread the ball. He was shackled to the middle to protect the centre halves and had to do double the running to close the space. Either this is being coached into him as the setup of the team, the centre half is bullying him into it, or he is intentionally allowing it to happen. I am comfortable with the fact an opposition can target a player like this. I am not comfortable with the fact we as a defensive unit and team can’t adapt to it. In comparison the left back was having none of these issues.

I know it’s all down to coaching but this isn’t a young kid. The 2 full backs at Liverpool are young lads and battle hardened. I am sick of seeing pussy fullbacks. Trippier was one. For all his brain farts Walker was a strong minded and strong physical man. Rose would tell anyone where to go if he thought they were taking liberties. Walker peters looks scared.
Spot hell on. You can coach the fullbacks

If Spurs hit their rhythm this season, then we know that we'll have a talented Burt very narrow bunch of players in Winks, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Kane, Son and will need width from the full-backs. Even if you start introducing Moura, Sissoko, Lamela etc it's more of the same.

Therefore, for me it's tactical suicide to build a side that assumes that you would rotate on Foyth and Aurier. It will just be way too disruptive. Davies is not perceived as an all out attacking full-back but does a decent job getting up and down the pitch. Rose will also give us that in abundance. I just haven't seen that capability in Foyth yet. Therefore, KWP has to stay even if Aurier totally steps up.

The only thing I've thought about KWP is Danny Rose was very similar at his age. Similar frame, similar tendency to be bullied. Kyle has the technical ability but he just doesnt stay alert enough for this level. A loan would be a good opportunity for him to learn a few things without the immense pressure of performing for a title hopeful.

With Aurier and Foyth injured he'll be in at the deep end. Can be the making of a young player.

One thing I'll say is that he held his head up and improved after his disaster start Vs Barca. He looks too nice and that he's someone's little brother who can't believe his luck that he gets to hang out with the cool older kids, but that showed some mental strength.

Hopefully we'll see an edge emerge. Be nice to see someone try to bully him against Villa and him to not have it.

It's easy to forget his few starts last season and actually how well he did, but he needs to wise up now or he will never make it with us. Learn from Rose's play style especially. If you get bullied, learn how to turn a situation against the bully - draw fouls, think quicker. Defensively he needs to stop switching off at key moments. He needs to work on holding the line whilst being alive to opposition movement. Read the play.

Most importantly, be aggressive! He has zero aggression. Show confidence by looking your opposite in the eyes and showing him you mean business. I'm surprised Poch hasn't trained this into him yet.

It looks like we were trying to off load him though. The reality is he is here by default.

He is quite exciting going forward so if he does play play to his strength's.

The only thing I've thought about KWP is Danny Rose was very similar at his age. Similar frame, similar tendency to be bullied. Kyle has the technical ability but he just doesnt stay alert enough for this level. A loan would be a good opportunity for him to learn a few things without the immense pressure of performing for a title hopeful.
Danny rose May have been similar but he didn’t take any sheet. He growled, he argued and he committed stupid mistakes. But he had mental aptitude to play the game

It's easy to forget his few starts last season and actually how well he did, but he needs to wise up now or he will never make it with us. Learn from Rose's play style especially. If you get bullied, learn how to turn a situation against the bully - draw fouls, think quicker. Defensively he needs to stop switching off at key moments. He needs to work on holding the line whilst being alive to opposition movement. Read the play.

Most importantly, be aggressive! He has zero aggression. Show confidence by looking your opposite in the eyes and showing him you mean business. I'm surprised Poch hasn't trained this into him yet.

That’s kinda what I was getting at. No one expects the lad to take Andy Carroll down with a drop kick. Get salah in a headlock. But rough these guys up and use their own styles against them. Personally I think managers like Poch use these situations to find mental aptitude as much as physical. I don’t see him as being strong enough

well, I'm told Poch expects him to kick on and become a top class RB!

I hope he shows that Poch and the coaches judgment is justified.

Looks like Poch was right. Sometimes you just have to accept that Poch knows far more than we do.

If he can get Aurier playing half as good - it's clear we do NOT have a RB problem and don't need to chuck money at it.

They targetted him, he stood up to the physicality, and gave them a real problem as well as showing he has genuine pace and timing.

Loved it, absolutely loved it.

So glad that Poch has taken his time with him - that's another 30-40 million he's saved us.