Kyle Walker Peters - Player Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Kyle Walker Peters - Player Thread

Bit early to give him the crown but was a great start to his season.

Keep it up Kyle

It is, but after the way the RB position was highlight by many all summer as a 'problem' area - his display at times against big old lumps was impressive. At the moment you'd have to say Poch was right about coming up with a 'solution'.

Looks like Poch was right. Sometimes you just have to accept that Poch knows far more than we do.

If he can get Aurier playing half as good - it's clear we do NOT have a RB problem and don't need to chuck money at it.

They targetted him, he stood up to the physicality, and gave them a real problem as well as showing he has genuine pace and timing.

Loved it, absolutely loved it.

So glad that Poch has taken his time with him - that's another 30-40 million he's saved us.
Totally agree. Not sure how he changed so much in a week but that was exactly the performance he needed for me. He even caused a little argy bargy on the touch line. He got fouled and went down, he attacked etc etc. I hope he kicks on, but I reserve judgement. Quick enough to talk down on some players, nice to be able to say well done

Have to share this. I went to Twickenham with some mates yesterday. About 3 or 4 of them are Welsh / Liverpool fans and there's always great banter on both football and rugby.

So one of my Liverpool mates says to me "How good is that new RB you've got this season. He looks amazing, and defends way better than Trent. You must be really happy"

Nice little outside-in view of KWP from a die hard Liverpool fan who watched our game :-)

Totally agree. Not sure how he changed so much in a week but that was exactly the performance he needed for me. He even caused a little argy bargy on the touch line. He got fouled and went down, he attacked etc etc. I hope he kicks on, but I reserve judgement. Quick enough to talk down on some players, nice to be able to say well done

There was a VAR review I think on the KWP incident. I thought I saw the Villa player kick Kyle under his arse / thigh area when he was down. Looked nasty to me and a red card. The video wasn't dwelled upon and brushed under the carpet. Maybe I saw it wrong.

He has a tough assignment at the weekend against Stirling who in my view is getting better and better.
It will be good to see how he fairs.

“Honestly, I could have cried on the pitch. It was that sort of emotion as the goal went in.

“When that goal goes in, you just think about everything you have been through to get here; everything I have been through on my journey to getting into the first-team and finally getting more and more opportunities as the gaffer is showing that trust in me.

“And, growing up in Tottenham, I just love the Club, so those moments mean just that little bit extra. You can’t control these emotions, it just happens. Everything just builds up in you - especially in that game.

“In terms of my career, that match was very important to me. I have to prove to the staff here and prove to the fans that I am ready to play in important games, help the team and hopefully be a part of a successful season.”

“It is the mental switch in those moments,” our number 16 admitted. “We were knocking on the door and you start getting frustrated, but we just kept going.
“Of course, it was a tough game going down 1-0 as early as we did but with the help of the crowd and with the quality we have in our side, we managed to overcome the obstacle.

“To finally get that equaliser, it takes a lot of pressure off and you almost feel then like the second one is coming - and that winner came very quickly.”

I changed the title because the comments by KWP deserve to be preserved for eternity,

THIS is the type of players we need at Spurs...

Keep rolling kid, make that position yours!

Poch;

“I think it is obvious [Walker-Peters is proving himself]. The moment Trips flew to Madrid, it opened the door for different players to improve and step up. In the case of Kyle, it is to try to be strong in his mentality and try and compete. Of course, he was good against Aston Villa, but now it is going to be a massive challenge tomorrow. He is a player we trust in, he has the confidence and now he has to take the opportunity to be strong in the position.”

Tomorrow we will start finding out how far he is off of being a top-4 right back...

Or perhaps we'll start finding out just how good he's going to be?

Sink or swim time for the lad. Two years with the first team squad, his time to prove he is good enough for us in the big games.

He will be 23 at the end of the season so he isn't a kid anymore.

I slightly disagree. Tomorrow is just another game and KWP is just a cog in the engine. Whilst he's been in and around the 1st team, this is the only time he might have been able to string games together. We're at game 2, away to City. Isn't that his longest run in the side? Surely too early to judge him.

I slightly disagree. Tomorrow is just another game and KWP is just a cog in the engine. Whilst he's been in and around the 1st team, this is the only time he might have been able to string games together. We're at game 2, away to City. Isn't that his longest run in the side? Surely too early to judge him.

He's going to have to deal with Mahrez; how he manages that will tell us alot.

Up against Sterling anyone could have a bad day.