The Politics Thread | Page 126 | Vital Football

The Politics Thread

The country is so split that it will be very difficult to break the first past the post. The Lib Dems will get a decent share of the vote but I dont think it will translate into seats. And the elephant in the room is the Brexit party who I think will also get a decent % especially from the real hard line Brexiteers. Add into this the staunch labour voters who just wont vote for anybody else and the same with Tory voters. Another hung Parliament looms and we will still be in the mess we are in now.

Boris.

There really are no depths the career politicians (who backed him) and out of touch membership will sink are there? A proven liar, a man who knows nothing about details, rules or etiquette. A man with an immensely questionable character.

All you can do is:

We have a two party political system that will always return a Labour or Tory government. I am a strong believer that voting for a minor party will not change this and I will always vote for the one that I think will be the lesser of two evils. The thought of Corbyn and his lot getting elected frightens me more than Johnson. And voting for one of the minor parties could allow Labour to win a majority and see them get in even though most people wont want them. So faced with this I will vote for the Tories at the next election which I think will come sooner rather than later. It does'nt mean I want Johnson but this is the reality.

It’s an interesting set of circumstances that could see the Tories tear themselves apart for a decade. The worst thing for the Tories is a labour government, worse than not leaving the EU. If I debate with my leave voting family members I like to wind them up saying I’m voting for corbyn.

If we leave the EU with a hard Brexit they have potentially got themselves into a situation where they suffer a lot of resentment from the younger voters at the same time that there older voters die off - I think they’d be out of power for 3 terms.

Anyway, it won’t happen. Boris did what he could to be Pym, he doesn’t believe in it.

So, let the horsepuffery skullbuggery and optimistic shenanigan-a-canary begin tomorrow when the buffoon tries to out do Prince Phillip.

At least Trump thinks he'll do a good job!
200w.webp

I hope he ends up the shortest serving PM in history, he deserves the humiliation.

Or for a total shock and for him to turn out good.

Hmmm!

I can see the first sentence happening and 'do or die' becomes the recollection of his time in the job come November.

Everything that has got him to where he is, for me at least, means the second sentence is never going to happen but I do admit I'm biased here, he could shout my name and I'd question if it was my real name before answering.

He's definitely not as thick as he acts, and yes PMQ's are probably going to overrun weekly and be entertaining but....hmmmm...nah, we're screwed lol

Can he call a snap election soon? Surely he’ll want that sooner rather than later to try and get a majority.

He just wants the job, May ended up hanging on despite everything and Boris has been hanging on before he even had the job.

I'd actually be impressed if he called a snap election and put it to the country rather than living on the dime for his CV. But he's in the ERG's pocket and they'd never allow that to happen.

Call a snap election? I doubt he could call for a fucking pizza without bumbling down the phone endlessly for an hour.

5 years ago who would have thought Trump and Boris...... a bigger pair of buffoons you could ever expect to find.

It's a state isn't it Col. As you say, Trump and Boris. Then Erdogan, Duturte, and others and the rise of the right.

We'd supposedly moved past this.

If a few Tories defect to the LIberals, there is one Tory suspended for alleged assault, there is a bye election (I think) happening. He could end up without any sort of majority at all.

He's also already has a split party as he's not exactly cared how he's treated others, so some are out to get him.

Fascinating times.

Agreed MF, can't see him doing anything good, he was a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE foreign secretary, but it would be the most pleasant surprise if he did do good. I don't believe for a minute he will, but one can hope!

I can't be 100% but I'm sure they said on the news earlier if the by-election goes against them his physical majority is just two. There is one happening though, just not sure where.

I think it was what Duncan was leaning on trying to call for an upfront vote of confidence that Bercow (rightly sadly) refused to entertain. And there's already strong talk of a vote of no confidence quickly with 'some' at least open to the idea of torpedoing the party over no deal.

DUP and Foster already talking about 'new' talks to continue the 'confidence and supply' support arrangement so the party that wants NI to be no different from England, whilst demanding to remain different in almost literally every way are clearly after another bribe.

If there was ever a time for the Libs/Change UK/Greens to combine - well a poll earlier had Labour 25% in the lead on a proposed snap election, but those 3 come together and they'd have the majority on a coalition basis at minimum.

Definitely fascinating, but one of those where I wished it was abroad so we weren't buggered (being selfish). Historically this is going to be a mental period of history to study and I'd love to know what people would think in 100yrs.

But yeah, definitely agree. If he came good, we all win. I just can't see it sadly based on his behaviour so far. I can only see it ending in chaos as he flips flops thinking more about his own PR.

They are all a disgrace.

I'm beyond caring.

The only thing i get wound up about are those that complain that they didn't vote for Boris as Prime Minister . I accept that there is a need for a figure head but at the end of the day you vote for the party and their policies not an individual.
I don't trust many in this country to vote sensibly and with the correct motive or reasons . That was proved in the Brexit process

Spot on Melon. Goes to why I'd actually be impressed if he went snap election route now, but he won't.

I'd love the opportunity to have a single vote day where everything was on the table from local elections through to PM and they were all candidates and a vote for a party didn't mean support for a person, but I imagine it would bore the pants of each other and parties wouldn't go for it as they select their best option.

True democracy in a sense wouldn't just be rival parties/people it would also be rival people within parties with a different take on things.

But for obvious reasons that's way too convoluted, especially given the whip system.

I think we ought to call him Mr Alexander Johnson. His family call him "Al". The cuddly "Boris" appellation makes him appear cuddly, a tad vulnerable and a bit of a likeable rogue.
I expect him to be a total disaster.
I hope I'm wrong.

I can't see how he doesn't call a snap election. With a majority of 2, he'll lose any major vote.

Calling an election will buy them time with the EU to negotiate some kind of deal.