The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 190 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

The difference between us and Fulham was Fulham spent 100m on players, who replaced their best players who got them there (Sessignon, Cairney etc) and their new players played crap, and destroyed their team spirit (sacking the manager who got them there as well !)

We have kept our besg players - Mings, Hause, McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi - who are also the heartbeat of the team spirit - and bought players to compliment and play with them, not replace them.

I'll be the first to say it - a top 10 finish for me, apart from the absolute obvious, there is nothing to fear what-so-ever.

If Huddersfield can stay up with Jonathan Hogg getting Player of the Season - why the hell are people so pessimistic ?

On a seperate note, I did laugh today when SSN had the banner "Bruce targetting new signings, with the full back position being his priority"

Priority is get Luiz in and focus on fresh legs in attack to play alongside Big Wes, definitely not Sturridge as too injury prone and neither Austin , too old and against policy Villa have set down.

When does the window close this time?

It very gently, eases quietly shut on the 8th August. You’ll barely notice. No journalists will be standing pointlessly outside various training grounds, Harry Redknapp will not stop his car outside his own house and talk to a gaggle of sad door-steppers, a noisy Scottish man will consistently state the bleeding obvious or have an aneurism live on Sky Sports. Definitely no ‘slamming’.

We don’t have to, and are highly unlikely to be, world beaters in our first season back. All we have to do is finish above 3 other teams.

If we can outperform Sheff Utd, Newcastle and Brighton then we’re fine.

The team is starting to shape up with the only real critical concern is getting enough goals to get points on the board in the first 10 games and steer clear of the quicksand that is the bottom 3.

I think we’ll create chances it’s just whether Wesley or Kodjia can take them. Think we need another striker and if Deano thinks Maupay can step up and play in the system he’s deploying here then who else has a better knowledge and judgement than him about the player?

Trezeguet is the strangest of Smiths transfers so far.
From the little I've seen of him, he's a clone of El Ghazi, a left-winger who cuts inside onto his right foot.
Suppose by the market he is cheap at less than £10m .

A stocking filler or a genuine competitor to Anwar?

Maybe Deano thinks that his game plan hinges on getting really good delivery from the flanks otherwise Wesley up front won’t work - in which case you need back up wingers because they the types of players who typically aren’t consistent and blow hot and cold (see Anwar for example).

Also maybe he’s a really good finisher and this a way of getting another player in the box who knows where the net is.

Maybe Deano thinks that his game plan hinges on getting really good delivery from the flanks otherwise Wesley up front won’t work - in which case you need back up wingers because they the types of players who typically aren’t consistent and blow hot and cold (see Anwar for example).

Also maybe he’s a really good finisher and this a way of getting another player in the box who knows where the net is.

Yep I was just thinking Elghazi is a bit hot and cold, cold with Gloves on, Hot without gloves

From the little I've seen of him, he's a clone of El Ghazi, a left-winger who cuts inside onto his right foot.

I think he's a bit of an upgrade on El ghazi to be honest.

I think he's a bit of an upgrade on El ghazi to be honest.

I'm hoping you're right.
Was thinking about the last time we brought in loads of players we'd never heard of from Europe and the excitement on here, only to see us kicking off using the old players because the new ones turned out to be squad bolsters.

Image the uproar if we KO the new season with Taylor Elmo Chester Kol Green and Hourihane as first choices, I don't think Deano would last the week.

I've got to say, I think this is the strongest villa squad in terms of quality with depth we've ever seen. We've got at least a half decent player that specializes in each position in Dean's system. I think our second team would fight for the play offs in the championship, and our first team, fingers crossed and trusting there will be no major flops, looks a hell of a lot stronger than at least five premier league teams.

Steer
Guilbert Engels Mings Targett
Douglas
McGinn Grealish
Jota Wesley Trezequet

El Ghazi Kodjia Green
Bjarnason Lansbury
Hourihane
Taylor Hause Konsa Elmo
Kalinic

Backup:
Nyland
Chester
Bree
Davis

The only other potential business I can see happening is a goalkeeper in and Nyland out.

Priority is get Luiz in and focus on fresh legs in attack to play alongside Big Wes, definitely not Sturridge as too injury prone and neither Austin , too old and against policy Villa have set down.
why not play JK with big wes as you call him JK did ok in the african cup and if he can get anywhere near to what he was he is as good as anyone that we may attract

Do not think he will sign anyway