The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 189 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

There were reports yesterday that we had to increase our bid to £15m. Never made sense though as they originally said he had a buy clause of £10m

Totally different strategy to Fulham in my humble. Ours appears to mostly have been done in good time with a fair bit off planning? Fulhams appeared to be exactly the opposite? Might just be my C and B glasses though but i dont think so.

Nah, not buying Fulham comparisons. We are getting in former loanees and not spending in a panic on deadline day.

Those outside of the club won't see the plan, they just see the figures.

Maupay. Definitely not. Don't get the fuss at all. Championship striker that would be massive risk. And actually more likely paper lazy BS.
We need to aim higher. We need to smash a marque signing out so we show we mean business . At the moment rightly or wrongly we look like this years Fulham . Well we do to outsiders in my humble. And I'm totally on the fence .
This whole "doing a Fulham" in the media is utter nonsense. The only reason it's being used as a comparison is because it was so recent. I also read a stat that showed Fulham are the only team to have spent more than 50 million following promotion to go straight back down.

This whole "doing a Fulham" in the media is utter nonsense. The only reason it's being used as a comparison is because it was so recent. I also read a stat that showed Fulham are the only team to have spent more than 50 million following promotion to go straight back down.
If the analogy that Maupay is a massive risk because he is a championship player. You now should be questioning the majority of the new signings. Mcginn is barely a championship player and others have come from leagues which are considered at a lower standard. DS knows exactly how Maupay works & his attitude-personality etc. It just depends if he wants him or has another gem lined up ......

It's the structured planned way that we have bought these players that gives me confidence. The majority in a month before the season starts then went to America to integrate with the rest of the squad , positions identified and strengthened and all done with a clear style of play in mind.

Fulham bought 5 players on the last day of the window last year. Scattergun approach and no time whatsoever to settle in before the season started.

If we hadn’t signed all these players they would be saying we had a championship level squad and would go straight back down. Plenty of teams have signed loads of players and survived, it’s just the inflated market making it stand out more.

Like Purslow said we had no option as we had lost 14 players. People outside the club have no comprehension of this, hence the stupid comments in the media

Nah, not buying Fulham comparisons. We are getting in former loanees and not spending in a panic on deadline day.

Those outside of the club won't see the plan, they just see the figures.

Yep. Totally agree with the last part MF. I have had a few people say to me we are panic buying, scatter gun get anyone in.
But as I say to them. We are rich. There is a structure in place.
However, doesn't change the fact that I'm completely unsure with who we have bought. I haven't heard of most of them. They have not played in the premier league, some not even in the country, they are relatively inexperienced it's a step into the unknown. My comfort is the management and structure in place .
Excited and nervous in equal measure .

It's the structured planned way that we have bought these players that gives me confidence. The majority in a month before the season starts then went to America to integrate with the rest of the squad , positions identified and strengthened and all done with a clear style of play in mind.

Fulham bought 5 players on the last day of the window last year. Scattergun approach and no time whatsoever to settle in before the season started.

I think we might be shuffling a few on panic Thursday, probably out on loan

Worth a watch although it will either spark negativity or backlash against their opinion. It sparked some negativity in me about I also disagree with their assessment of Norwich and Sheff Utd.

Essentially they agreed it was lazy journalism to liken us to Fulham but they're skeptical of our ability to outperform Norwich and Sheff Utd. I think the 3 of us will do well but I think we are the most likely to retain a positive approach to games and I think that is the difference between relegation fodder and mid-table mediocrity.

For me I think we're so unpredictable we're easy to write-off but I do agree we look light on the goalscoring front.

Definitely need a couple of departures, even if loan is the best option.

As you say Melon, it's about trust - this is how DS is used to working. Nobody had heard of Maupay before he was brought to Brentford and now he's apparently a 25m striker and so on.

Also re: our strategy go have a look at the type of lad Leceister are signing over the last two or three seasons and I think you'll see a comparison. Average is 23 and plenty of lads I've never heard of. Maddison, Perez and Tielemans being the only three I can think off the top of my head I know.

Difference being they're fairly established and have a settled squad so nobody bats an eye.