What positions do we still need to fill? | Page 3 | Vital Football

What positions do we still need to fill?

We may have to wait for a striker if we want one on loan as the loan window shuts for premier and championship clubs on Aug 8th but for leagues 1 and 2 it goes on to the end of August, so we can have a look to getting in players that those top sides decide they don't need for the season

Yes I think we are short at left back now Simpson has left. Fuller turned his ankle in the warm up so wasn’t risked, that left Garmston who managed 58 mins, but seems unlikely he could last a full 90 over several games so makes sense we get someone else in who can play there.
That’s a slightly odd remark about Garmston. He didn’t have a significant injury last season. The only issue was that he’d seemed to lose a bit of pace possibly because of his own worry about his hamstrings. Yesterday he had more minutes on the pitch than anyone else because he was the only member of the ‘first half team’ not to be subbed. However, I’m not disagreeing that it’s an area to strengthen as per Evans’ comments about needing a defender and a left sided player.

That’s a slightly odd remark about Garmston. He didn’t have a significant injury last season. The only issue was that he’d seemed to lose a bit of pace possibly because of his own worry about his hamstrings. Yesterday he had more minutes on the pitch than anyone else because he was the only member of the ‘first half team’ not to be subbed. However, I’m not disagreeing that it’s an area to strengthen as per Evans’ comments about needing a defender and a left sided player.

Garmston was subbed early in the second half. I wasnt particularly impressed with his performance up until then. But in saying that he hasn't impressed whenever I've seen him play. Oldaker did very little when he came on, can't see him staying.

Hmmm - I was particularly impressed with the amount of running both fullbacks were expected to do - Evans clearly wants a quick switch of play when the full back is on the edge of the box and to run the length of the pitch to get in the back post to make the extra attacker. It’s about ten days into training and there’s a long way to go - Garmston also played more preseason mins last season than any other player and it’s getting close to 2 years since he had a significant injury. His pace is there as he showed last year he may have changed his game but he costs up to the position and drives past them to get his cross in. I think some of his 1v1s and occasional end product could have been better as others yesterday but it’s very early to judge yet. I wasn’t that impressed with Byrne yesterday

I`m sure SE and PS are working hard to get at least one more striker. Vinney`s point about the loan window may be a factor the club is working to, though, tbh, I`d have thought we would be looking for an experienced, solid striker who can spearhead our attack. We have the young chap from Southampton, who seems like a great acquisition, but we also need a proven goalscorer. Another, similar to Ndjoli, would be a bonus. Having said that we might even see Roman Campbell make his debut this season - he`s undoubtedly a talented lad.

Talking of still needing a striker, it's strange no one has snapped up Eaves yet. Does he/his agent want too much money or does his style of play not fit in with us or any other prospective buyer. Genuinely thought as a proven goalscorer he would be signed up by now.

You’re slightly missing my point, in that he was really the only left back available yesterday which is not ideal.
With Fuller getting injured in the Warmup, Garmston had to carry on into the 2nd half and only made it to 58 mins. Will he be ready to play 90 mins in up to 3 games in a week come the start of the season?
Last season Lovell rarely played him, favouring Fuller playing out of position which left us unbalanced at times.

Talking of still needing a striker, it's strange no one has snapped up Eaves yet. Does he/his agent want too much money or does his style of play not fit in with us or any other prospective buyer. Genuinely thought as a proven goalscorer he would be signed up by now.
From what I’ve heard he’s been offered a deal at a Championship club but still hasn’t decided if he wants to go there. He could be hedging his bets and waiting it out for an offer from another club.

From what I’ve heard he’s been offered a deal at a Championship club but still hasn’t decided if he wants to go there. He could be hedging his bets and waiting it out for an offer from another club.
If I was them, I'd tell him to do one.
If he wants to think about it then maybe he is not the right fit for them.
We will take him back

Do you think Eaves would get in our side now ? Especially since we are a free flowing attacking side - 20 goals per season might not make our side now ???

His pace is there as he showed last year he may have changed his game but he costs up to the position and drives past them to get his cross in. I think some of his 1v1s and occasional end product could have been better as others yesterday but it’s very early to judge yet. I wasn’t that impressed with Byrne yesterday

Any feedback about how Garmston performed defensively? Even if we play wing backs he needs to put a shift at the back.

Maybe a game against Faversham would not have been the best to judge but I definitely think that his lack of defensive instincts was the reason SL preferred Fuller, even out of position.

I wonder if Steve Evans is interested in getting Ryan Hardie from Rangers on loan. Scored 7 in 13 whilst on loan at Livingston last season. Blackpool are interested in taking him, but with Evans's Scottish connections, who knows

I assume he is not just slothing it and trying to keep himself match fit? If he joins a club nearer the start of the season he might start having niggling injuries otherwise.

Any feedback about how Garmston performed defensively? Even if we play wing backs he needs to put a shift at the back.

Maybe a game against Faversham would not have been the best to judge but I definitely think that his lack of defensive instincts was the reason SL preferred Fuller, even out of position.
There was a lot more too it than that and SL went down a few notches in the chairman’s estimation

I wonder if Steve Evans is interested in getting Ryan Hardie from Rangers on loan. Scored 7 in 13 whilst on loan at Livingston last season. Blackpool are interested in taking him, but with Evans's Scottish connections, who knows

Well he played for St Mirren so get him in!