What positions do we still need to fill? | Page 4 | Vital Football

What positions do we still need to fill?

I assume he is not just slothing it and trying to keep himself match fit? If he joins a club nearer the start of the season he might start having niggling injuries otherwise.

If you are on about Tom Eaves, there was a twitter post of him yesterday with a coach/trainer? Practicing and saying “getting ready for the season”.

Not sure where or if just training alone (no one else in photo). But there were a few posts in the thread suggesting different Championship teams.

Really does seem wierd tho that he’s not fully signed and training with a club already.

Edit - tweet was originally from Tom Owens_UK. Is that his manager or coach? It was re-tweeted by Tom Eaves himself.

IIRC we made him an offer towards the end of the season and assume it's still on the table?
As much as I'd love him to stay I'm not sure how I'd feel about him playing for us if he signed late just because he had no other offers. I'd be seriously concerned about effort levels unless of course he decides to use the season to put himself in the "shop window".

It does make you wonder whether Big Tom is still in the discussion at GFC, especially as SE hasn`t (yet) made a signing that would be seen as a replacement #1 striker.

I can see your point, Nobby but of all our players last year (maybe excepting Barry Fuller) none seemed to work harder on the game-time pitch than Tom. His success is built on a high work rate...

IIRC we made him an offer towards the end of the season and assume it's still on the table?

The offer may still be on the table, but I don't think we can assume it still is. If he's said he's leaving, we have to make alternative plans, wouldn't be at all surprised if the offer was withdrawn if not signed by a certain date.

Someone on Facebook said, that Evans said (I can’t find it in an article), that Eaves had an offer from a Champ club, but if he didn’t accept it he’d be opening negotiations with Gills again.

I don’t know if that meant Tom will open negotiations with us, or if SE will open negotiations with Tom.

Anyone else see, read or hear that message from Steve Evans? Or is it a load of pony?

Not heard or read that and I’m always scouring twitter,
SE did say he had enough money in budget still for 3 or 4 more players,which he needs

Evans has been talking and acting like Eaves has rejected our offer since he came in, so I’d be very surprised if we were still “in discussions” with Eaves now. I think a few supporters haven’t accepted that he’s left.

It does make you wonder whether Big Tom is still in the discussion at GFC, especially as SE hasn`t (yet) made a signing that would be seen as a replacement #1 striker.

I can see your point, Nobby but of all our players last year (maybe excepting Barry Fuller) none seemed to work harder on the game-time pitch than Tom. His success is built on a high work rate...
Not sure I'd totally agree with that Lanks. First 2/3rds of the season yes. He worked his socks off. Last third not so sure. He stopped making 'those' runs and seemed to hide a lot.
He's a real handful for any defence when he wants to play though.

Not sure I'd totally agree with that Lanks. First 2/3rds of the season yes. He worked his socks off. Last third not so sure. He stopped making 'those' runs and seemed to hide a lot.
He's a real handful for any defence when he wants to play though.
If ,and it's obviously a big IF, we got him back, there would be no slacking under the present manager or he wouldn't play.