The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 36 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

The Baggies are demanding £16.5m for Rondon who scored 11 goals in the PL last season and has about a 1 in 5 scoring ratio for them. He's 29 years old.

That's the new benchmark, folks.

I'm demanding 4k for my 10 year old Lexus BB that's why it's sat on the drive with a flat tyre and flat battery and will probably go for 500 quid in the end

In the mean time I'm driving round in a Honda Civic which is worth 2k and absolutely brilliant

Well, it appears that Manure won't be letting Axel Tuanzebe come back to us either on loan or sale, so were do we go now then?

Mings and Cahill would be a good central pairing I feel.

We'd end up far to deep as Cahill has never been quick enough .

Deano likes to press and you need skill and pace for that and play at 35 yards not 18 yards That was the Bruce way

The Baggies are demanding £16.5m for Rondon who scored 11 goals in the PL last season and has about a 1 in 5 scoring ratio for them. He's 29 years old.

That's the new benchmark, folks.

Very true. Back when we paid 24m for Bent it was a huge fee, I think man city paid a similar amount for Dzecko in the same window.

Now average strikers are going for that amount. Newcastle want 20m for Gayle who is 29 and never done it in the premier league. Watford paid 19m for Andre Gray. Bournemouth wanted 50m for Callum Wilson who although is a good player is 27, injury prone and had 1 season in 4 when he's got onto double figures on the premier league.

Based on that 25m for someone like Tammy who is 21, has every attribute needed to be a top striker and is already integrated into our squad seems a bargain to me. I think he's only going to get better and if he gets into double figures a few years in a row he'll be worth 50m plus before he's 25. For me it's a no brainer if he's available and willing.

Just watched the play off final again! 30 mins in with Villa on top don't forget , Tammy had touched the ball 4 times 3 of which were 35 yards from goal and one in his own half . A few mins later he had his only touch in the box the chance he made for himself . I think he went on to have more touches in his own box .
Was he up against Van Dyke , nope it was Keogh one of the biggest donkeys in the championship .
Sadly as the season went on Tammy got worse and worse until we might have been as well off with Koj .

He may or may not be worth 25 m but I'm guessing Swansea fans would say not

I'm demanding 4k for my 10 year old Lexus BB that's why it's sat on the drive with a flat tyre and flat battery and will probably go for 500 quid in the end

In the mean time I'm driving round in a Honda Civic which is worth 2k and absolutely brilliant

We football fans seem to have a problem keeping up with football inflation. There was a time when £20m would get you a top striker but those days are long gone. Nowadays, £20m won't get you an average PL player.

I think West Brom will get at least £15m for Rondon.

We football fans seem to have a problem keeping up with football inflation. There was a time when £20m would get you a top striker but those days are long gone. Nowadays, £20m won't get you an average PL player.

I think West Brom will get at least £15m for Rondon.

Who from apart from Newcastle who are in a position of power over the baggies , I can see a swap for Gayle at best

Well personally I think that we can possibly get a few more goals out of him than Swansea did seeing as well have Super Jack, super John Mcginn, El Ghazi and whoever else Deano signs setting him up. At Swansea he had Jordan Ayew as we all remember really loved passing and crossing in and around the box.

Good point. Look how many wingers play down the wrong side now - Lolley a left footer playing down the right, Green, a right footer playing down the left. Emphasis on cutting in and shooting or playing a brisk through ball or one - two.

Although, I think this can become predictable, just as much as playing on your natural flank and crossing it back and across to the big man, it is the modern approach.

Maupay (5’7’’) and Gayle (5’9 1/2’’) suit this newer style.

Kodjia would offer a valid different option off the bench.

For those of us who have been around the block, imagine Keegan playing centre forward - would never have happened in the past. Come to that, how about a Ray Graydon leading the line?
For those of us who have been around the block it didnt stop Jimmy Greaves at 5ft 61/2 inches scoring goals.

Well personally I think that we can possibly get a few more goals out of him than Swansea did seeing as well have Super Jack, super John Mcginn, El Ghazi and whoever else Deano signs setting him up. At Swansea he had Jordan Ayew as we all remember really loved passing and crossing in and around the box.

Depends if we see the Tammy of late or the one that was rattling in goals when we were shite .
He certainly hasn't looked very good in our good run , poor touch , no movement, and rarely touched the ball despite the players you name above playing as well as they did . He's virtually been a passenger in the second half of the Championship.

I'm hoping he was carrying an injury because he hasn't looked a shadow of the player he was before January. Perhaps the Wolves thing turned his head or made it bigger but he stopped working and stopped scoring after that .

Reactions: OVB
Yes. I am ambivalent about Tammy, he certainly struggled for form, really since we started our run.
I am sure there is a Carlos Kickaball out there who would be better value.

Signing the right striker may prove to be the difference between survival and relegation. For me Tammy Abraham is a huge risk, regardless of the fee.

I don't expect us to be creating anywhere near the amount of chances we have this year and Tammy's conversion ratio was not great, even though he finished with 25 goals. His all round game offers very little in the way of bringing others into play. I would expect the management team to have recognised that. If we signed him, I would want one or two top class alternatives. Not the sole striking solution for me.

Think Maupay might prove more effective TBH. I like that he has a nasty streak, If Deano thinks he fits, that's OK with me.

Well, it appears that Manure won't be letting Axel Tuanzebe come back to us either on loan or sale, so were do we go now then?

Personally, I'd go for Gary Cahill. Yes he's 33, but he's been released by Chelsea. He'd be coming back to one of his former clubs and of course he'd be reunited with JT. With his age and experience, he'd be capable of replacing the experience lost with the release of Jedi, Whelan and Cafu. Either a 2 year contract or a 1 with an option to extend by another year could do it.

Mings and Cahill would be a good central pairing I feel.

I'd happily have his experience at the back. Still think he's good enough to be playing in the PL. Just depends on what wages he is after for me

Very true. Back when we paid 24m for Bent it was a huge fee, I think man city paid a similar amount for Dzecko in the same window.

Now average strikers are going for that amount. Newcastle want 20m for Gayle who is 29 and never done it in the premier league. Watford paid 19m for Andre Gray. Bournemouth wanted 50m for Callum Wilson who although is a good player is 27, injury prone and had 1 season in 4 when he's got onto double figures on the premier league.

Based on that 25m for someone like Tammy who is 21, has every attribute needed to be a top striker and is already integrated into our squad seems a bargain to me. I think he's only going to get better and if he gets into double figures a few years in a row he'll be worth 50m plus before he's 25. For me it's a no brainer if he's available and willing.

Yeah the transfer market is crackers and its difficult to put a true value on players. £25m sounds extortionate compared to our previous signings, but it isnt all that much to PL teams now. If Tammy flopped yes he might lose some value, but if he scored 15+ his value would probably double.
I'm still expecting some Spanish or South American striker we've never heard of instead though

If it's all about the wages for Cahill, then no thanks.

If he is happy to fit into the wage structure, doesn't expect to play every week, and wants to give something back to the club that gave him a start, then great. I'm sure sharing his knowledge and experience with the likes of Mings and Hause and providing cover would benefit the club. Not a regular starter for me.

I still think we need 2 strikers anyway. Kodjia hasn't quite been the same since his injuries and Davis isn't ready to be a 1st teamer at the top level. Personally I'd sign Tammy and another striker.

Yeah the transfer market is crackers and its difficult to put a true value on players. £25m sounds extortionate compared to our previous signings, but it isnt all that much to PL teams now. If Tammy flopped yes he might lose some value, but if he scored 15+ his value would probably double.
I'm still expecting some Spanish or South American striker we've never heard of instead though

I'd go with what you said ie 25m isn't that much for a premier League striker , the question is what is a premier league striker . I'm guessing anyone who has notched 10-15 goals in a season for a mediocre side .
There again Glenn Murray and Troy Deeney have masqueraded as Premier league strikers for a few seasons so perhaps it's not so difficult as we think to better those pair

Is anyone else getting concerned that we are replacing championship players with championship players.
The premier league is not a place to experiment whether players are going to be good enough.

Is anyone else getting concerned that we are replacing championship players with championship players.
The premier league is not a place to experiment whether players are going to be good enough.

Well could be but we haven't actually replaced anyone yet . I keep saying to myself clam down and see what happens .
I then look at what we have left and think by the time we have signed Mings, Hause, el Ghazi replaced Tammy and Axel we'll have no money left to replace the 8 released players :(