Who will stay who will go | Page 3 | Vital Football

Who will stay who will go

Goalkeepers - the position is sorted and covered already. Defenders - definitely need full back cover and another CH if Shackell retires. Centre Midfield - I've already said previously but Pett/O'Hara deserve the chance in L1 with O'Connor and Freck to cover as needed. Wingers - I suspect we will sell one or both of Andrade and Anderson so an area that already needs strengthening may need even more so. Forwards - Rowe and or McCartan, plus Akinde and another.
So even if we retained the core of the squad a/a I could still see between 6 and 8 new faces incoming on loan or permanently depending on how many we sell. If we fail to land some of the loanees like Rowe there could be up to another three on top of that. Realistically I think we will sign a couple of the loan players.

Shacks is staying i hear....nudge,nudge?

That will disappoint the annoying bloke who sits behind me in the coop, according to him yesterday he said

“our number 5 is rubbish and has been all season”

To be honest I nearly fell off my seat, he mainly talks crap throughout the game and has all season but this comment really was his best clueless comment of the season.

Next game you see him ask him what he`s been smoking.......it must be strong gear!
............homegrown
Does he go out to the toilet half a dozen times before half time,.........might be the answer?
Give me his seat number,i must get down there for a laugh, can``t beat a bit of fan football tosh on a Saturday.(i`m upper 5)
GIVE HIM A VERBAL WHEN SHACKS PICKS UP THE PLAYER OF THE SEASON AWARD.

The biggest mistake a promoted team can make is to break up a team that has got a winning mentality..

^^^^ This ^^^^

Our current players were signed with an eye on competing in League 1 and on their day (ie not the second half against Cheltenham yesterday), I fully expect them to do so effectively.

£££s talk but I wouldn't want to lose Andrade, Anderson, McCartan, Pett. More cost-effective to retain them if we can do so than sell and replace.

Rather than having their heads turned by the lure of cash (like Angol going to Mansfield) they will hopefully stay (I can't see McCartan wanting to go back to Bradford).

Others who can do a job in league 1 include Akinde, Eardley, Gilks, O'Hara, Rowe, Bostwick and Bolger. Shackell too unless he goes to the states.

That will disappoint the annoying bloke who sits behind me in the coop, according to him yesterday he said

To be honest I nearly fell off my seat, he mainly talks crap throughout the game and has all season but this comment really was his best clueless comment of the season.
EVERYTHING has been taken to a new level this season...

You can imagine the response Saturday, when Akinde was announced as MOTM :wagging: :shake:. I didn't keep quiet and wasn't alone.

The biggest mistake a promoted team can make is to break up a team that has got a winning mentality. I know it is quite different but look at Fulham and Wolves, Fulham changed the majority of their playing staff, and look what happened to them. Whereas Wolves kept most of their squad and just added to it where necessary, and look how well they have done.
We need to keep the majority of the squad, and add only where needed - say older players leaving.
Going to be very difficult to keep all the first team regulars, but for continuity and for team spirit and confidence we should be very wary of what happens as regards to leaving players.

Bournemouth are a prime example of keeping faith with players who have taken them up the divisions. They have several players who are now Premier League regulars who played for them in League One - Cook, Francis, Daniels, etc...

Bournemouth are a prime example of keeping faith with players who have taken them up the divisions. They have several players who are now Premier League regulars who played for them in League One - Cook, Francis, Daniels, etc...

Swansea too. I seem to remember Leon Brittan playing for them when they were bottom of League 2, and in the Prem.

You have to look at a kind of similar model to that of Peterborough/Rotherham and previously Scunthorpe in the past.

You never want to sell your best players but each of these clubs have sold and then recruited well on the back of a decent transfer fee. People might frown at Peterborough and they do seem to recruit heavily however their player sales over the past 5-10 years has generated millions.
I think Posh's problem is that they have, or had, a scatter gun approach. Ours seems more focused and stream lined.

Yes, you'll miss out on some and wonder why we didn't maybe take a gamble but we're pretty lean as a first team.

Obviously a decision to make r.e. GK's. Gilks' experience will see him get a deal, but I think Vickers might move on because of Smith being under contract. We can't have a number 2 who breaks down after a game, or two in a short period of time. But then I'd suggest Vickers is slightly better than Smith.

Wilson will leave (I think he'd have left in January had it not been for Bostwick's knock (broken nose? at Notts), as will Habergham I imagine.

I'd offer Rhead a new deal but you wonder whether he'll opt for a longer deal elsewhere, which he would pick up easily. He still offers a Plan B.

I'm not sure DC will want to go into the new season with both Freck and O'Connor as options (34 and 32?), so I expect O'Connor to leave. The latter hasn't actually played too much in the second half of the season?

Of the loan players, preference would be Rowe over McCartan but the latter is fine in L2 so Bradford might keep him anyway. I'm not sure I'd rush to sign him up. You'd imagine Ipswich will turn to Rowe a bit more in L1?

Cowley is also pretty ruthless when it comes to continually getting rid of that bottom rung of players who have had their use but we’ve moved on, even if some of them have been good players for us.

Shackell's an obvious one to try and tie down and Toffolo, Anderson and Andrade are probably in line for new deals as saleable assets.

There's plenty of scope to bring in 6 or 7 new players.

The biggest mistake a promoted team can make is to break up a team that has got a winning mentality. I know it is quite different but look at Fulham and Wolves, Fulham changed the majority of their playing staff, and look what happened to them. Whereas Wolves kept most of their squad and just added to it where necessary, and look how well they have done.
We need to keep the majority of the squad, and add only where needed - say older players leaving.
Going to be very difficult to keep all the first team regulars, but for continuity and for team spirit and confidence we should be very wary of what happens as regards to leaving players.
Yet the Cowleys have done this every season, to great effect...go figure...

I think the Rowe vs McCartan one will split fans into 2 groups.

Forgetting the technicalities of what their owning clubs think and ignoring differences in wages and purely on the players.

Rowe is more flexible. He can play behind the striker and on either wing.

McCartan is much more of a central player. AM or behind the striker.

I personally prefer McCartan but each to their own opinion.

Heard in the pub yesterday Raggett might be coming back.

Raggett signed a 3 year deal on August 2017 with Norwich and now on a season long loan at Rotherham- on-sea.--------potential relegation fodder.

out of contract next summer 2020...... low..possibility of returning as an imp

Unless Raggett has improved a fair bit, which is probably unlikely in the reserves at Norwich and battling relegation at Rovrum, then I think we can do better. This may be a controversial opinion. If we do re-sign him then I trust the Cowleys to have made the right decision.

I'm generally not a fan of bringing players back when we have sold them on. Bringing loanees back permanently I can get on board with.