Rate the ref v Cheltenham Town (Home) | Vital Football

Rate the ref v Cheltenham Town (Home)

Jamesimp

Vital Squad Member
Unfortunately it appears Mike Dean isn't available for Saturdays latest cup final so instead they've sent the experienced Nicholas Kinseley who on the last occasion he reffed Lincoln sent Harry Anderson packing at Luton, for Jules's take on it click here https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/lincoln-city-v-cheltenham-town-thank-god-its-not-mike-dean/

Dean Whitestone 8.96
Stuart Atwell 8.59
Graham Scott 8.53
Scott Duncan 7.78
Gavin Ward 7.55
Scott Oldham 7.29
Craig Hicks 7.21
Graham Salisbury 7.21
Anthony Backhouse 6.98
Sebatian Stockbidge (2) 6.96
Andy Davies 6.87
Paul Marsden (2) 6.78
Martin Coy (2) 6.54
John Busby 6.47
John Brooks (2) 6.45
Geoff Eltringham 6.43
Kevin Johnson 6.18
Dean Whitestone 6.15
Thomas Bramall 6.13
Lee Swabey 5.78
Kevin Richardson 5.71
Matthew Donohue 5.45
David Coote 5.25
Carl Boyeson (2) 5.18
Mike Dean 5.01
Neil Hair 4.78
Peter Wright 4.23
Michael Salisbury (2) 4.17
Andy Haines 4.15
Chris Sarginson 3.89
Brett Huxtable (2) 3.88
Ben Toner (2) 3.67
Anthony Coggins 1.91
Lee Collins 1.44

Didn't have much to do really but got most of it right, he was right to yellow McCarten for simulation

7/10

Thought he was very good didn’t make a drama out of everything. Brought back play having given a chance of advantage,only to discover none on a few occasions. I would take him every week 8.5/10

I thought he had an excellent first half and I was thinking "there's a 9/10 here" but second half, I thought he was much less secure.

7.5/10

A better ref than quite a few this season for sure. Only stopped play and showed yellows when he needed to and didn't really get any big decisions wrong. 7/10

Excellent display. Tried to let the game flow and brought things back for free kicks when no advantage accrued. Somewhat surprised to see him book McCartan for simulation but there was little argument so he probably got that right too. Gladly have him again. 8.5

8.5 looked ok to me, think he let more things go for both sides that let the game flow. From my Stacey West viewpoint I think he got the McCartan decision correct, although I await to be proved wrong from replays

I thought he had an excellent first half and I was thinking "there's a 9/10 here" but second half, I thought he was much less secure.

7.5/10
This.

There was nothing in particular that I can pinpoint in that second half, he just didn't seem quite as good.

That said, still one of the better ones this season. Not often a ref manages to get two advantages right...

8/10.

Let the game flow, didnt blow up for minor coming togethers, played the advantage well, one of the best this season, 8/10

8. Very good comparatively. Notably played a good advantage, then brought it back when necessary. Got every main decision right.

Very good referee - 8.5. Downgraded slightly from a 9 due to below.

He did miss a big shirt pulling incident on Matt Rhead which maybe should have been a penalty. It is possible he was unsighted?

Last edited:
Another good one, 9/10.
One decision puzzled me, maybe someone can explain? Second half, Toff (I think) broke through and looked to be taken down as he played Andrson in. Ref waves play on and Anderson goes through missing the chance. Ref then brings back play. I'm thinking, wow this fella really is on the ball. But he gives the kick against us and books our lad? Did I miss something?

Another good one, 9/10.
One decision puzzled me, maybe someone can explain? Second half, Toff (I think) broke through and looked to be taken down as he played Andrson in. Ref waves play on and Anderson goes through missing the chance. Ref then brings back play. I'm thinking, wow this fella really is on the ball. But he gives the kick against us and books our lad? Did I miss something?

Look at the highlights thread. It was McCartan who dived. Ref initially played on and if Harry had buried it first time I think the goal would have stood, but then he pulled it back for the simulation as their keeper just about had it sorted. Highlights footage shows it to be a correct decision