January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts | Page 63 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts

Akinde will help get us out of this division, but if we go up he is nowhere near good enough. Whatever anyone says, if the ball is played in to his feet with his back to goal, his first touch is appalling. He wins nothing in the air, outside or inside the box. His is good when a ball is played to him to run on to wide on the flanks - out there he can use his strength to bustle his way into the box. But that is about his only asset.

Overall today, he was awful. However he will get us 15 goals this season and help get us up. Next year though - not good enough.
Nothing in the air?

I know you probably don't mean that literally, but he won the header at Macclesfield for Pett. The header against Crewe for Pett. The header at Swindon for McCartan. And probably two or three others that I can't recall.

Akinde played as the lone striker at Barnet too. I see no signs whatsoever when McCarten plays further forward or when Green played alongside him of Akinde playing better with another striker close to him.

Ironically the best I've see Akinde link up with another forward has been the brief periods when Rhead has played alongside him.

We have been saying all season that the supply to Akinde has to be better. But what supply? The ball was played into his feet many times today and it just bounced off him, or he passed it to their players. He doesn't win many high balls, and I've never seen him get on the end of high crosses into the box. Yes, he uses his body strength well - and if he had a good first touch he would indeed be excellent at this level. But his total lack of touch is exactly why he has never played higher than this division, and scored most of his goals down below.

Nothing in the air?

I know you probably don't mean that literally, but he won the header at Macclesfield for Pett. The header against Crewe for Pett. The header at Swindon for McCartan. And probably two or three others that I can't recall.
And the header against Vale for McCartan, come to think of it.

Akinde had a mixed day today, did well when he got through with McKeown and just beaten to the ball and for one where he got fouled on the edge of the box. But also had a couple of poor passes and needed to be more eager to get in the box on a couple of occasions.

One of his poorer performances on the whole, certainly since November, but overall he has played a key role in our success this season and will continue to do so.

Akinde played as the lone striker at Barnet too. I see no signs whatsoever when McCarten plays further forward or when Green played alongside him of Akinde playing better with another striker close to him.

Ironically the best I've see Akinde link up with another forward has been the brief periods when Rhead has played alongside him.

We have been saying all season that the supply to Akinde has to be better. But what supply? The ball was played into his feet many times today and it just bounced off him, or he passed it to their players. He doesn't win many high balls, and I've never seen him get on the end of high crosses into the box. Yes, he uses his body strength well - and if he had a good first touch he would indeed be excellent at this level. But his total lack of touch is exactly why he has never played higher than this division, and scored most of his goals down below.

I hear you don't like Akinde.

Better than Yeo, Forrester? I'm not so sure.

And no-one - no-one! - is better than the legend that is Matt Rhead!

All round play yes. Yeo and forrester were superb finishers but as a forward player he is better - holds the ball, links the play and creates a chance.

If we had either of them with Akinde it would be premiership quality

Akinde will help get us out of this division, but if we go up he is nowhere near good enough. Whatever anyone says, if the ball is played in to his feet with his back to goal, his first touch is appalling. He wins nothing in the air, outside or inside the box. His is good when a ball is played to him to run on to wide on the flanks - out there he can use his strength to bustle his way into the box. But that is about his only asset.

Overall today, he was awful. However he will get us 15 goals this season and help get us up. Next year though - not good enough.

Hi Mike
You can't expect Akinde to do anything with balls that are comimg at him waist high or above up on his own with 3 players marking him, he does win headers and also cleared our defence a few times with headers.
We need someone up there with him the same as other teams have more than one up.
We also need to leave 1 or 2 up front at corners to give us an outlet.
The other problem is we give teams too much room in midfield.
We seem to score then sit back and lose all the momentum we had going forward.

A new centre forward is a must!

I respect the fact th a we are top of the league but, apart from the first 15 minutes, we looked average at best.

There is no outlet up front and no one to hold the ball up

Grimsby were poor but we failed to finish them off.

Totally agree.
Akinde has had some decent performances and more of them in last couple of months. But it is still only SOME decent performances.
It's irrelevant whether he cost quite a bit or not. If there is a centre forward out there who we can bring in who is BETTER than we should go for it.
Plus if either Akinde or Rhead gets an injury or suspension, then we are stuffed up front.
I would hope Danny is after one top centre forward and maybe even two.

Akinde is good enough for league 1. Despite his previous record at that level.

Another striker should be on our wish list. Something different to Akinde and at the same level. Make us unpredictable.

I think our best play this season has been when we play it around on the floor on the wings. Get Andrade and Anderson running with Pett/Frecklington & Toffolo or Eardley in support.

And then we get it into Akinde. And he scores regularly like this. Get it to him in the box and he’ll get a shot off.

2 of our best centre forwards are Any Graver & Big Percy Freeman
Teams should probably get back to playing with a laced up leaather ball just to see how good some of these players reckon they are,

Absolutely!! quite simply the best winner of the ball i have seen in a Lincoln shirt.

How many goals have we actually scored as a result of his flick-ons? I can't remember many, but maybe I'm doing him a disservice.

No disrespect to him, but we are one dimensional when he's on the field.