January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts | Page 62 | Vital Football

January 2019 Transfer Window Rumours/Thoughts

A new centre forward is a must!

I respect the fact th a we are top of the league but, apart from the first 15 minutes, we looked average at best.

There is no outlet up front and no one to hold the ball up

Grimsby were poor but we failed to finish them off.

I disagree with this. Akinde is very good at taking the ball to feet and playing off. Bolger put some excellent balls into his feet today which is a great sign.

You need to get players around him to play off. When he’s isolated it looks ugly and that does happen at times. Lumping long balls like we did with Rhead won’t work and it’s not promotion winning football.

We do need a striker but one in the Green mould to run defences ragged either alongside Akinde or after Akinde has worn them down.

I know POSH are still looking to bring another striker in but won't do so until they can offload someone so Matt Stevens may still be a possibility.

I disagree with this. Akinde is very good at taking the ball to feet and playing off. Bolger put some excellent balls into his feet today which is a great sign.

You need to get players around him to play off. When he’s isolated it looks ugly and that does happen at times. Lumping long balls like we did with Rhead won’t work and it’s not promotion winning football.

We do need a striker but one in the Green mould to run defences ragged either alongside Akinde or after Akinde has worn them down.

I certainly do not want to see the long ball game.

Unfortunately a "short" ball game wouldn't have worked today because, after half time, Akinde didn't control the ball once. He had two very good opportunities to score but misjudged the flight/ trajectory of the ball.

I am desperate for him to do well but cannot see it happening on what I have seen so far.

Last edited:
A new centre forward is a must!

I respect the fact th a we are top of the league but, apart from the first 15 minutes, we looked average at best.

There is no outlet up front and no one to hold the ball up

Grimsby were poor but we failed to finish them off.
What type of striker do we need then? A striker who can get us to the top of the league?

We will get promoted if Akinde stays fit, but just need backup and a different threat off the bench, when Rhead is n’t the likely answer.

The truth is we do n’t often play like world beaters. The Cowleys teams are designed to win, but not necessarily entertain those who are not entertained by watching a winning side. Personally I am 100% satisfied watching a 1–0 win any day.

What type of striker do we need then? A striker who can get us to the top of the league?

We will get promoted if Akinde stays fit, but just need backup and a different threat of the bench, when Rhead is n’t the likely answer.

The truth is we do n’t often play like world beaters. The Cowleys teams are designed to win, but not necessarily entertain those who are not entertained by watching a winning side. Personally I am 100% satisfied watching a 1–0 win any day.

I agree that we aren't necessarily great to watch from an asthethic point of view a lot of the time, even in our title season,but I have absolutely no problem with that...I want us to win! There is a lot of Germany 80s/90s about us.

I don't think Akinde had his best game today, but we aren't really utilising his strengths when it's hoofed to him IMO. Also didn't think McCartan had a great game either so we definitely need a few extra options and different forward threats. Hopefully two strikers and maybe a creative midfield player the three most likely positions DC will be looking at?

I certainly do not want to we the long ball game.

Unfortunately a "short" ball game wouldn't have worked today because, after half time, Akinde didn't control the ball once. He had two very good opportunities to score but misjudged the flight/ trajectory of the ball.

I am desperate for him to do well but cannot see it happening on what I have seen so far.

Top of the league. He’s our top goalscorer. I think he’s done plenty.

Out of interest, who do you think we should sign as our starting striker?

I don't think Akinde had his best game today, but we aren't really utilising his strengths when it's hoofed to him IMO. Also didn't think McCartan had a great game either so we definitely need a few extra options and different forward threats. Hopefully two strikers and maybe a creative midfield player the three most likely positions DC will be looking at?

So that means we can drop Akinde and McCartan and play the two new strikers?

Who would you sign?

We will get promoted if Akinde stays fit, but just need backup and a different threat off the bench, when Rhead is n’t the likely answer.

One who can control the ball would be a start.

So that means we can drop Akinde and McCartan and play the two new strikers?

Who would you sign?

Did I say drop Akinde? I said we aren't playing to his strengths and he is too isolated IMO. As for McCartan, I would probably play another in his position if a new guy comes in but will depend who that is, for me Rowe influenced the game more in the time he was on today.

I don't think Akinde had his best game today, but we aren't really utilising his strengths when it's hoofed to him IMO.

Absolutely this! He is much more effective with the ball played into his feet. His flicks are superb and he bundles through people. I thought he started really well but faded badly. It's not surprising though, he's had to do a lot of running and play lots of games because of lack of cover. If we can get a good striker to share the workload I think we'll see a significant improvement.

On another topic, was anybody else frustrated with the number of times we were offside today? And what's worse, a lot of those were from free kicks!

Did I say drop Akinde? I said we aren't playing to his strengths and he is too isolated IMO. As for McCartan, I would probably play another in his position if a new guy comes in but will depend who that is, for me Rowe influenced the game more in the time he was on today.

Akinde will help get us out of this division, but if we go up he is nowhere near good enough. Whatever anyone says, if the ball is played in to his feet with his back to goal, his first touch is appalling. He wins nothing in the air, outside or inside the box. His is good when a ball is played to him to run on to wide on the flanks - out there he can use his strength to bustle his way into the box. But that is about his only asset.

Overall today, he was awful. However he will get us 15 goals this season and help get us up. Next year though - not good enough.

I can't believe we are discussing this Akinde stuff yet again. His game is not related to playing as a lone striker, yet that is how we continue to use him. The supply into him, and the support thereafter, has to be much better. Now we have Rowe, and after we have signed the right CM and CF to play close to him, he will be lethal.

He has done very well in the circumstances.