Match Thread: Lincoln City v Grimsby Town | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Grimsby Town

Would have been better if Bury and Stags had drawn but on the positive it means those in 6th and 7th lost coupled with MK Dons losing gives us a 7 point gap to 4th with 2 games in hand. Hopefully 10 come Tuesday but Yeovil have got to be the most unpredictable side in our division so we've got to be on our game there

The way the results went weren't necessarily the worst news. The more we pull away from 4th place, the better chance of us finishing top 3, and the less worrying about points dropped in future games. 7 points is a healthy position to be in.

Well, I’ve had a great day today - thank you Lincoln City!?⚽
Same here - just got home.
We didn't create a boat load of chances but put some lovely moves together in midfield. Can't remember Grimsby having a shot on target. Most scary moment was Tom Pett's back header - quality dive from Grant to prevent an own goal but we controlled the game well. Buzzing. "We..are...top of the league".:giggle:

Some of them on The Fishy are so deluded, bless em.

It could, and should, have been more than 1-0 today. They were awful.

Top 3 is all that matters. Just got to keep picking up points. Thought today would be a potential banana skin but 3 massive points gathered. Bury will be the biggest game of the season. They are on fire at the minute. Should be a great match.

Thought it was a dull game (enjoyment not helped by the cold weather) but a good result in a definite banana skin fixture.

Bemused as to how the pull back on the edge of the box wasn’t penalised with a yellow for a player who I think was already on a yellow.

3 points against the cods is always a good result and I think 1-0 probably was a fair reflection of the game.. the cods looked toothless.

Agreed not the most thrilling of games or redblooded local derby despite the card count.

After the early goal it looked we could be in for a few more but faded in the 2nd quarter when some of Grimsby's set pieces caused problems. 2nd half was bitty, neither side had any real control but we were always a threat on the break and never really threatened by Gy.

First impressions of Bolger were good, looked calm and assured. Rowe fizzed with pace and energy in his 30 mins, if he's short of match fitness it didn't show. Seemed to relish the roving 10 role.

Clear red, keeper hesitated which turned 50/50 into 40/60.

The sort of ugly, gnarly win which is an important building block of a promotion bid, I'll bet Danny and Nicky were delighted with it.

So, not a classic, was it? I thought Akinde had a very ineffective game. Matt Green would have been a much better option for this one and I think we badly need a player like that to press and harry, something that just isn't Big john's modus operandi at all.
?
Yeah not sure why he didn't play

Deserved win, should have made it easier for ourselves, the Cods were better than last season, but the second half they offered nothing up front.Their number 7 had a good game, Bossi, Eardley and Toffolo were the stars for me, nothing went for Akinde today but he kept going until Rheady saw the game out !
Bolger took time to settle, not surprising, but very commanding second half. Rowe was better than I remember him, his pace put their back line under pressure and won the race with their keeper, he had to go imo.
Decent derby game on a very cold day !