Will Grigg to Sunderland | Page 2 | Vital Football

Will Grigg to Sunderland

I do notice yet again this is a Wigan Athletic news topic not generated by us.
Our invisible board should have quelled this immediately by announcing or by simply communicating to the Latics fans and supporters that it is just a stupid rumour.
Would be ironical though if Grigg did join Cattermole and Power there and we were stuck with Hopalong Gibson, Barn Door Vaughan and Splinter Arse McManaman.

Perhaps its true and he wants to go
Wouldn't you leave your current employer for a pay rise and a promotion *he isnt playing at present)
Also he will be playing n front of massive crowds for a team that is going up v a team that could go down.

Id go

Sunderland local press say bid in to buy Grigg.

Unless they are finding a large fee we should reject. But unfortunately since we have 4 strikers on the books and the other 3 Cook signing who cost the best part of 4m over the past 12 months and are un-sellable due to being garbage - if we don't sell Grigg we probably can't bring a target man in to play long ball at. Which sadly we need.

Don't disagree with that analogy, but perhaps the hapless Cook could get back to playing it along the floor and try to get the best out of him. That way we wouldn't need to waste money on another target man to lump it long to and add to the garbage he's already brought in.

Don't disagree with that analogy, but perhaps the hapless Cook could get back to playing it along the floor and try to get the best out of him. That way we wouldn't need to waste money on another target man to lump it long to and add to the garbage he's already brought in.

I cant see an analogy in there, as for playing along the floor, I agree get back to what was going well at the start of the season when everyone thought Cook was a good manager

Man Utd sacked Jose Mo because they was shit but also they didnt want to lose their best players. Why Grigg isnt playing is stupid.

Would you choose to Keep Grigg and lose cook or vica versa

I cant see an analogy in there, as for playing along the floor, I agree get back to what was going well at the start of the season when everyone thought Cook was a good manager

The fact he abandoned it is the reason we are doing so badly and why a lot of people think he's lost the plot and needs to go. If he switches back to what we are good at no one would be that upset even if we lost if we are throwing everything at teams and coming up short. But most of the time since late September it's been like having Warren Joyce part 2 and we don't want to relive that. I fear if he was going to change tactics back he'd have done it weeks or months ago.

Id agree personally but that doesnt look like Cooks plan. So if he's hell bent on long ball he has to do something and for him Grigg will be the sacrificial lamb to fund a target man.

Big question is will we buy another supposed target man under 6 foot like the last 2?

Id agree personally but that doesnt look like Cooks plan. So if he's hell bent on long ball he has to do something and for him Grigg will be the sacrificial lamb to fund a target man.

Big question is will we buy another supposed target man under 6 foot like the last 2?

Knowing us we'd flog him and then fail to bring in anyone at all.

Perhaps its true and he wants to go
Wouldn't you leave your current employer for a pay rise and a promotion *he isnt playing at present)
Also he will be playing n front of massive crowds for a team that is going up v a team that could go down.

Id go
So would I. It’s no coincidence that all of a sudden local journalists have wind of this, it’s no doubt been leaked by Sunderland to try and unsettle Grigg and maybe tempt him to go to Cook/Royles and ask to leave.

I stand by what I’ve said previously, he’ll never be good enough at this level. Not quick enough, not sharp enough to get on the end of crosses and not clinical enough for a team who may only get one or two big chances a game. Over 2 million or perhaps 1.5 with another 1 mill on top following promotion and I’d sell. Use the money and wages left over to sign a proven Championship striker on loan until the rest of the season. Hooper, Hogan, Crouch, Gestede, Nugent, Zohore to name a few all not getting many minutes (if any at all) for their parent clubs so don’t tell me nobody is out there.

What’s happened to Hogan at Villa ? I remember him being crocked long term but he came back from that and was scoring, has he gone off the boil or has he been crocked again ?

So would I. It’s no coincidence that all of a sudden local journalists have wind of this, it’s no doubt been leaked by Sunderland to try and unsettle Grigg and maybe tempt him to go to Cook/Royles and ask to leave.

I stand by what I’ve said previously, he’ll never be good enough at this level. Not quick enough, not sharp enough to get on the end of crosses and not clinical enough for a team who may only get one or two big chances a game. Over 2 million or perhaps 1.5 with another 1 mill on top following promotion and I’d sell. Use the money and wages left over to sign a proven Championship striker on loan until the rest of the season. Hooper, Hogan, Crouch, Gestede, Nugent, Zohore to name a few all not getting many minutes (if any at all) for their parent clubs so don’t tell me nobody is out there.

Good enough to bag a brace against United and the winner against City. For a guy “not quick enough” he did alright to beat Kyle Walker in a race too. Also, Grigg’s hold up play is underrated by both Cook and Michael O’Neill.

At the end of the day though, he’ll go to Sunderland, get promoted, actually get a chance next season in the Championship and end up being top goal scorer in the league. Would be typical of what happens when we bloody sell players. Meanwhile we’ll be left with no strikers as Garner, Vaughan, Windass and this new superstar striker we’re apparently replacing Grigg with will all think they’re too big for league 1 and piss off elsewhere.

At least we’ll have £1.5 million in the bank though ey, and save Griggs weekly wage. Result!

Last edited:
how come everybody knows what we pay our players. I mean forr a club who according to the skrikers on here doesn't communicate with fans :rolleyes:

I agree get back to what was going well at the start of the season when everyone thought Cook was a good manager

With you on that one but think we may need the likes of Jacobs n Powell back for PC to go down that route. Will wait n see how we play against Villa on Sat n hopefully it's the start of a turnaround in fortunes / form.

Look we dont have money to spend so we sell grigg so we can sign pilkington
We have to sell before we buy its that simple