The City and Liverpool disease makes its way down the league | Vital Football

The City and Liverpool disease makes its way down the league

cocopops

Vital Youth Team
Adam Rooney has declined renewing his contract with Aberdeen to join Salford City for £4000 a week,this is bonkers money for a club in their league and size,top six clubs are to blame for this madness,splashing out millions and millions on players that they don't really need,very expensive bench warmers who may get a game every now and again,when the bubble bursts don't come crying on here to me as you will get no sympathy
If Salford do get promoted,and I can't see any other club who will touch them with their squad,how will they cope in the football league where there are fair play rules to contend with?

Top 6 clubs are to blame? Is it not the capitalist society that we live in that's to blame? Hasn't football always had it's haves and have nots since it's early days?

Not to the extent that it is now,it all changed when the wage cap was lifted i presume,a friend of mine is a player from the 60's and he says that football wasn't his main form of income and that they often had to make there own way to away games
The Premier League is out of reach for most clubs now,you need to spend ridiculously large amounts of money just to stay in it but the rewards are absolutely massive,who else gets £60million odd for coming last and then some very healthy parachute payments for the next three years to help you cope in the Championship

It's not out of reach, find a sound investor, put a workable plan in place and work your bollocks off and it's reachable.

Same principle as in any business in a capitalist system.

If I had titled the thread 'Adam Rooney' then people wouldn't have read it so you have to start with something to grab their attention,if I had put the same post on a Chelsea or Utd forum then the title would have refered to them

The Premier League is unobtainable for clubs like Notts,we've almost gone under twice in the past ten years,billionaires aren't interested in getting a club like ours into Europe when there is only a 7000 fan base and other clubs that they could buy who are already in the PL,I will never see top flight football again with Notts in my lifetime

In my opinion it's when Sky took over the running of the league that it all went pear shaped.
As Bluedub has mentioned there has always been haves and have nots, but that used to be governed by footfall through the gates, the bigger the gate the higher the wages and higher transfer fees paid, but that has all changed with Sky.
Maybe a sheikh with bottomless pockets will throw money at Nottingham County one day too (obviously they will need a plan and work their bollocks off too :hmmm::bs:)
Not just Bournemouth, but Burnley too.

Yeah I totally agree that it all started when Sky got involved,apart from small clubs not seeing any real money compared to the PL seeing kids walking around Arnold with Liverpool/City/Chelsea or Utd shirts on usually never have been to the ground before is also something that can be attributed to Sky,I would rather the kids wear a Forest shirt than a top six club who they only know from tv
Maybe there is a tinge of jealousy,who knows after all who wouldn't want the best for their club,at least I can say that I got to see Notts playing in the top flight,going head to head against some of the best of the day :clap:

In my opinion it's when Sky took over the running of the league that it all went pear shaped.
As Bluedub has mentioned there has always been haves and have nots, but that used to be governed by footfall through the gates, the bigger the gate the higher the wages and higher transfer fees paid, but that has all changed with Sky.
Maybe a sheikh with bottomless pockets will throw money at Nottingham County one day too (obviously they will need a plan and work their bollocks off too :hmmm::bs:)
Not just Bournemouth, but Burnley too.
A bit disrespectful to call my post bullshit Barbles.

While I'm here, yes the Sky/Premier League have made it even more difficult but like I said it always existed.

Liverpool have been huge beneficiaries of investors in the past, so much so that the transfer fee they paid for Ian St. John whilst in the second tier was the second highest paid by any British club that year.

Last edited:
The whole post was not classed as bullshit, just the bracketed bit Bluedub.
Getting the most successful coach and giving him bottomless amount of money is a plan, true, but does not equal hard work.
The Ian St John quote is true, but as I said paid for by the fans (by way of attendance and loyalty) and the club did not go into debt due to the transfer, in fact along with the purchase of Ron Yeats was a marvellous acquisition taking us from the 2nd division to Champions of England in 2 years

The whole post was not classed as bullshit, just the bracketed bit Bluedub.
Getting the most successful coach and giving him bottomless amount of money is a plan, true, but does not equal hard work.
The Ian St John quote is true, but as I said paid for by the fans (by way of attendance and loyalty) and the club did not go into debt due to the transfer, in fact along with the purchase of Ron Yeats was a marvellous acquisition taking us from the 2nd division to Champions of England in 2 years

Who was I referring to when I said a sound investor, hard work and a plan Barbles?

The Moores family paid for it.

City have no debt btw.

I don't know what the first paragraph is supposed to mean.
2nd = based on attendance income it was more than sustainable as was proven.
3rd no debt? of course not

Why doesn't that surprise me.

City are sustainable, ask UEFA.

Look it up, you may actually learn something.

City ARE debt free. UEFA had confirmed it. But why we have to justify it to you, baubles, I don’t know.

Why doesn't that surprise me.

City are sustainable, ask UEFA.

Look it up, you may actually learn something.

i find that staggering (I do believe you btw) that City are debt free considering the amount of money that they spend on players and so on,I thought that there would be money owed somewhere
A few years ago Notts didn't have enough in the bank to pay their milk bill :shake:

i find that staggering (I do believe you btw) that City are debt free considering the amount of money that they spend on players and so on,I thought that there would be money owed somewhere
A few years ago Notts didn't have enough in the bank to pay their milk bill :shake:

It wasn't too long ago City were in a similar predicament, came perilously close to liquidation before winning the lottery.

The money that Mansour invested didn't come in the form of a loan so the club wasn't saddled with debt.

The club have been in the black since 2015.

Up to that point they had cumulative losses of £606 million since the takeover. Mansour paid £210 million for the club.

In the latest KPMG study into football club's worth City were valued at £1.93 billion, so a tidy little profit for Mansour should he decide to sell up.

Speculated, accumulated, much the same as any of the wealthier clubs in world football did at some point in their club's history.

I think any debt that did accrue during the early very heavy investment by HHSM was converted into shares - part of which was sold off to the Chinese media group that bought a reported 13%.