Woodyard | Vital Football

Woodyard

Londonimp12

Vital Reserves Team
Rumour on Banter is it that his clause has been triggered and some are expecting him to leave by early next week.

Hope this isn’t true due to his work ethic and what he’s brought to the club which has epitomised everything the Cowley’s have achieved here. On the flip side, it may open the door to a more attacking approach.

Great defensive midfielder, but could we do better? Will be a surprise to see him move on from the Cowleys, but will he ever be able to add dynamism to his game?

Question is where do the Cowley’s see Woodyard, Pett, Bostwick, Freck, Whitehouse, Anderson and Andrade fitting into the formation we play? ... They’re all good quality players at this level at least. If we were to critique last season, it’d be the lack of a cutting edge, so the Cowley’s May see Woodyard as surplus to requirements too. Hope I’m wrong though! Would be great to have them all but I can’t imagine that many league 2 (even 1) quality players are going to be happy bench warming.

That being said, pretty sure Woodyard played more games than anyone last season so (if there’s truth in the rumours) it’s more likely to be a league one club come calling and us having little choice in the matter.

I guess his clause is pretty much common knowledge after the last time it was triggered.

Would love to see him stay, but we'll get a bit for him and he may decide it's time to fly alone.

This might be unpopular with some but at times when we need something to happen his backwards and sideways passing drives me bonkers as he rarely passes it forwards and hardly ever shoots when in a good position to do so.
If the money is decent cash him in all players have their price and if it means we can sign a couple of extra players to help us to promotion then so be it.
Do we really need two holding midfieders especially at home do feel it holds us back.
End of the day this is from banter pinch of salt required.

Last edited:
I for one hope he stays.
But if he goes at least we’ll have the summer to find a replacement/reinvest so it would be the best time for it to happen if it has to.
I’m sure the Cowleys have a plan for every eventuality.
UTI!

I think his release clause was triggered before by Luton. He elected to stay with us.He has a close bond with our management so just because the clause has been met means very little at this moment.

I did say on the recent thread concerning the possible sale of him that he was probably our most sellable asset and sometimes you do have to get money in to strengthen the rest of the team

I hope he stays as he is one of our best, but everyone and everything has their price

Critical player for us,plays the way DC asks him to and is a far better footballer than we are currently seeing.(breaking up play and mopping up threats is duty work for him for 90 minutes)...under orders.
As some say on here (nlondonimp included) Alex Woodyard playing with better players would really look a class apart and not easily replaced so for me a non sale item.
One thing LCFC is not short of is money thanks to Clive Nates and his associates.
DC has trouble spending funds,collecting cash is easy but putting a promotion side together is a tough task.

I think around the £225k mark was reported previously.

I still think that's a bargain for anyone getting Woodyard. He does a lot of the ugly stuff and for me he is a key part of the way we play and negate the opposition threats. However if it's time for Alex to better himself and it enables us to get maybe two or three replacements in to offset his loss, how could we stand in his way?

I think he and Bostwick could be easily play together in a 4231, he passes sideways because that’s his tactical role. He’s clearly told to recycle possession to the full backs. A new season with new tactics could easily see that change

Woodyard is out of contract next summer, and you have to wonder how much longer he is willing to commit himself to Lincoln when there is wide interest from elsewhere. If there is a question over whether or not he would agree to a new contract, we are better selling now when we can get a good fee for him.

Anyone have an idea what the clause may be in terms of price?
Yes i have because i met his dad at cambridge utd match its £225000!Dad said at the time he was going to do another 12/18months at Lincoln.