Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Colchester United

Not at our best today. Could argue a draw would have been fair. But we I thought we deserved to beat Wycombe, and there have been a few other games where we have drawn that we deserved to win, so about time one went the other way.

Thought Harry really wasn't at it first half, a better winger than forward maybe. Freck struggled to get into it, certainly feels there is more to come from him. Rhead also struggled, especially compared to Tuesday when he superb, perhaps in need of a rest. The lads arguing about the pen was disappointing.

Palmer and Waterfall superb when they came on. What a header by Captain Magic Hat, he should not have been favourite to win that. Eardley, Woodyard, Wharton and Allsop also all played well.

a win is a win, but poor set pieces and poor use of the ball in open play don't help though. i hope someone within the management team is noting that easily the best passing move came in the 95th minute, and led to the winner.
Spot on far too many floaty over hit balls into the box from corners,free kicks and crosses.
Get one right we score funny that.

Extraordinary end to a very ordinary performance, a few underperformed today. But to those saying drop Green, really? Are you mad?? 4-3-3 doesn't suit his best game but he plays the role, gave us width, worked his gonads off as always. MoM for me, only leave him out if he's not recovered. Maybe start Palmer for Rheady though.
Agree again he wasted out wide get him back through hopefully on Tuesday playing off Palmer as Rheady looked worn out.

Spot on far too many floaty over hit balls into the box from corners,free kicks and crosses.
Get one right we score funny that.

I agree with the comment about set pieces. Sam’s were particularly bad (not been near the standard of last year, but im not sure if that is due to better defending?)

If I’m honest I thought the cross in for the goal was actually really poor! Just a fantastic header!

If we take Yeovil as a home win then we need 1 point from either Coventry or Accrington to guarantee play-offs.

First half we were second best for first 25-30 mins and then started to find some space.

Second half- different team, more chances (both ends), more penetration down the wings, more desire.

Harry seems to be an asset on attack but is a lightweight in tackling and holding the ball up- game change at half time.

Crowd were absolutely magnificent today and the last 10 minutes was fan power at it's best.

The way Waterfall read the flight of the ball early and attacked it reminded me of a header he had at that end last season - Dagenham, maybe? Think Whitehouse put the rebound in.

One of those where you just through yourself into it and take everything with you.

Guess what John McGreal said after the game?

"Lincoln have their style of play, and we have ours. We are dynamic and we have width, and I feel hard done by with the result, once again. I thought we dealt with Lincoln’s style (long balls into the box) right up until the final minute. It’s a bitter pill to swallow."

Guess what John McGreal said after the game?

"Lincoln have their style of play, and we have ours. We are dynamic and we have width, and I feel hard done by with the result, once again. I thought we dealt with Lincoln’s style (long balls into the box) right up until the final minute. It’s a bitter pill to swallow."

Noticed the dig earlier, they don't like being "Lincolned" :wahey:

I always try and apply the ‘how would I feel if the decision went the other way?’ question with ‘debatable’ red cards. I had a good view from my seat in the Selenity Stand and that looked a straight red. Bostwick was all over him from the moment the lad got a run on him, and if he’d let him go he’d have had the pace and space to get a shot on the keeper.

Not one of those you’d say is 100% nailed on, but there wouldn’t have an Imps fan in the ground not breathing the hugest sigh of relief if the ref had pulled out a yellow.

Fair decision and we don’t have a prayer in any appeal.

If it's not 100% nailed on, then there is an element of doubt. (IMO).

If it's not 100% nailed on, then there is an element of doubt. (IMO).

Must admit my immediate view ( from the i-Follow camera in the Coop stand) was that it could well be a red and I would have been relieved if it was yellow, but I didn't have the view of their player with his arms holding Bossie off, so difficult to see.

Must admit my immediate view ( from the i-Follow camera in the Coop stand) was that it could well be a red and I would have been relieved if it was yellow, but I didn't have the view of their player with his arms holding Bossie off, so difficult to see.

I actually thought they were going to give a pen at the time, I'll have to watch it again. Still, if DC thinks it's worth an appeal...

Yesterday summed up a lot about us, not the best display by a long way, but we kept going, fought and battled for everything, driven on by fantastic support and got what we deserved in the exciting end. Shades of last season again. Not so sure about the sending off, would need to see it from a different angle, looked a bit soft on the day. A few of those Rheady has to suffer every week are often much worse, more like assault.

“We have our style of play”

Says Colchester town manager who has taken his team to 11th in the league 10 points off the playoffs

That always makes me chuckle

We’ve certainly had our money’s worth for a three hundred quid season ticket haven’t we?!

I’ve said this before but what we lack in a little bit of skill and creativity up front we more than make up for in passion, desire and a will to win. We’re lucky to have this group of players wearing the shirt, particularly given some of the jokers that have disgraced it in the past.

The only downside was the intervention of the man in black and his hanger-on. Absolutely nothing in that challenge from Bostwick either live or in the replay. Where do they find these idiots?

Anyway, onto Tuesday. Should be a great game.